Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 02:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,386,744 times

Advertisements

one mo gin...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,315,679 times
Yeah okay.

At least we know where you stand, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Anyone telling Arjay (with an excellent reputation on this thread and a thorough undestanding of the ins and outs of the workings and history of both Atlanta and the state of Georgia BTW) that he is ridiculous is the one that needs to just stop now.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:44 PM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
It's time recent arrivals realize the history of the state and why Atlanta is what it is.
Which is mostly due to progressive and visionary local business and civic leaders (e.g., Mayor William Hartsfield).

Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,784,179 times
And when it comes time for Hartsfield to add a new runway, the idiots in the State Legislature will tell the airlines to land on I-285 if the existing runways are too crowded.

Nobody likes government waste, but there are too many Republicans -- and I say this as a registered Republican myself -- who really don't seem to understand how costly it is to maintain high-quality infrastructure. Say what you will about Joe Scarborough, but he was on the money when he said that Americans like Republican tax policy and Democrat spending. You can't have it both ways. You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

Nobody likes government incompetence either, but I seriously doubt that the state of Georgia would do a better job of running Hartsfield than the city of Atlanta already does. It reeks of micromanagement, and micromanagement doesn't have to be exclusively a federal problem. Besides, if Atlanta wants to add a new runway to its airport, then who cares what anybody in Sandersville or Thomasville has to say about it?

Old 03-10-2015, 04:15 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,132,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Besides, if Atlanta wants to add a new runway to its airport, then who cares what anybody in Sandersville or Thomasville has to say about it?
"Well, I'll let y'all know that my grendson flahs through that there airport, so if I want a new runway, daggubit I'll get a new runway!" - Sandersville legislator

"They say that whether one goes to Heaven or Hell, you have t' change planes in At-laantah! That should b' reason enough for the state to control that there airport!" - Thomasville legislator

- skbl17

Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,879,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is mostly due to progressive and visionary local business and civic leaders (e.g., Mayor William Hartsfield).
Many of Atlanta's progressive and visionary leaders are from all over the state and moved to Atlanta. Thus the connection of Georgia to its state capital and in turn, its capital to the state. It wasn't always seen as an Us vs. Them dichotomy. That is a recent invention.

Some of these leaders and their hometowns:

Henry Grady, Athens
Martin Luther King, Sr., Stockbridge
Asa Candler, Villa Rica
John Pemberton, Knoxville (GA not TN)
Ted Turner, Savannah (born in Cincinnati, lived his childhood in Savannah)
Jimmy Carter, Plains (mentioned because of the effect of his Presidential Center on the city)
Robert Woodruff, Columbus
Truett Cathy, Eatonton

Just a few off the top of my head. Other influential leaders came from neighboring states:
John Portman , Walhalla, SC
Neel Reid, Jacksonville, AL
Coretta Scott King, Marion, AL

My point is that the city drew in the best and brightest the state had to offer. Again, said in my previous post, Atlanta did not happen in a vaccuum. To think otherwise is sophomoric.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:47 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Quote:
Many of Atlanta's progressive and visionary leaders are from all over the state and moved to Atlanta. Thus the connection of Georgia to its state capital and in turn, its capital to the state. It wasn't always seen as an Us vs. Them dichotomy. That is a recent invention.

Henry Grady, Athens
Asa Candler, Villa Rica
Jimmy Carter, Plains (mentioned because of the effect of his Presidential Center on the city)
Truett Cathy, Eatonton

Just a few off the top of my head. Other influential leaders came from neighboring states:

My point is that the city drew in the best and brightest the state had to offer. Again, said in my previous post, Atlanta did not happen in a vaccuum. To think otherwise is sophomoric.
My point wasn't about historic state vs city antagonism or where Atlanta's local leaders were born and raised. It's the fact that local leaders, as opposed to state government, are primarily responsible for Atlanta's growth and development over the years.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:

Henry Grady, Athens
Asa Candler, Villa Rica
Truett Cathy, Eatonton

How can you put the chick fil a guy on that list?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,490,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Yeah okay.

At least we know where you stand, anyways.
Thank you!

Old 03-11-2015, 07:08 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:

Henry Grady, Athens
Asa Candler, Villa Rica
Truett Cathy, Eatonton

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta