Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 31,131 times

Advertisements

So, I originally posted my questions in the general Georgia thread, and have received some great insight. Thanks to all. However, it was suggested by several that I move my questions to the Atlanta site due to the greater amount of traffic. So...ta da!
Hubby will be visiting next week and hopefully can get an idea about some of the areas we are researching. One thing that has been eye-opening to me, is the SIZE of the Atlanta metro area (based on your answers) and how difficult the commute seems to be. I am picturing my trips to Los Angeles and the hours spent in traffic, and wondering if that is a fair comparison?

We had sort of narrowed our search to rural areas to the East or South East of Atlanta (within reason) primarily because it seemed more affordable. However, our realtor mentioned today that living West or North West of Atlanta would actually be going against traffic for the most part? Can someone comment on this please? How about straight North??

Again; the Cliff's Notes version of our search is: Horse Property (5 or more acres), decent public OR charter OR homeschool program, open to our ethnically diverse family, reasonable commute to Sandy Springs for hubby's job, under 300k...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,998,755 times
There's no such thing as "going against traffic" if you commute to Sandy Springs. Unless you live in Buckhead I guess. Sandy Springs is the epicenter of Atlanta's traffic.

Your requirements are pretty much unworkable. There's no place with a reasonable commuting distance with ~5 acres that's not super expensive. Sorry. Same is true of most major cities.

With that said, large lots are available in South Fulton that kinda-sorta meet your requirements. You'll be pushing an hour on the commute most days, but that's true of everywhere you're going to look. The other option is to go way up in north Forsyth County and biting the bullet of the rush hour commute each and every day. But it ain't cheap up there by any stretch; any 5-acre parcel will probably be owned by investors.

Sorry to be so glum, but 5 acres + Sandy Springs job don't mix well unless you're loaded.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:30 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,673,539 times
I agree with Testa Also, I wonder when they say Sandy Springs, if you know which part. (specific street name) Powers Ferry, for example, might present different options than say Perimeter Center area...

If your husband's job was in say, Fayette County or Forsyth County, you might be able to meet all your criteria.

But your situation is near impossible, unless he is willing to suffer a brutal commute most days.

If your children are secondary school age, it may be challenging to find schools you like re diversity in S. Fulton.

Anywhere with desirable schools, is likely to be pricier than your budget for the amount of land you desire. Also, you need to make sure you have a sense of where horses are allowed and where they aren't. (though given your budget, most likely this might not be an issue)

Old 02-21-2014, 03:39 PM

I appreciate everyone's brutal honesty. We are in a tough situation for sure, but it looks like overall my husband is willing to drive longer in order to get what we want and can afford. It's not like we can stay where we are now, so compromises will have to be made. Also, I assume most people on here are not horse people, so do not look at life the same. In a perfect world, we would rent first. This will be extremely difficult if not impossible for us.

Initially we were looking at areas more SW?W/NW of Atlanta...but from my research this seems to be the areas more likely to be hit with tornados. (yes, I said the T word) Also, he would be commuting into the sun both ways, which seems like that would totally suck. He is talking about modifying his schedule as such that he may try and commute 'off hours'. He may also be able to work from home occasionally. So now we are sort of focusing on counties to the East/NE/SE. Also trying to take in consideration the fact this job for which we are relocating may not last forever. This might place him in a commute to a very different area of Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
Again; the Cliff's Notes version of our search is: Horse Property (5 or more acres), decent public OR charter OR homeschool program, open to our ethnically diverse family, reasonable commute to Sandy Springs for hubby's job, under 300k...
You might find 5 acres that fit your criteria but I think the price would probably be $1-2 million.

I did see this one the other day. It's in the area and it has the land but the price is on up there.

935 Crest Valley Dr, Sandy Springs, GA 30327-4650 | MLS# 5245148 | Redfin

Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times
Milton is the "horse city" closest to Sandy Springs, unfortunately, your budget won't get you a SFH, much less 5 acres here. I think you need to look west, possibly quite a bit west. Look for a house with a basement, but realize tornadoes here are not a regular occurrence, nor are they very widespread.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,791,464 times
Snellville? Conyers?

Old 02-22-2014, 05:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,673,539 times
Be very careful to make sure you understand the zoning rules about horses before you get attached to any property. (I am guessing you know this already.)

I have nothing to add for your search in terms of locations because your criteria are so narrow, but I do have to ask, is this a case of wanting to move (for the reasons you listed in an earlier post) or needing to move for economic reasons. Because the cost of commuting are not insignificant and you need to factor that in to your budgeting considerations.

In terms of schooling, the further out of the core of the city you go, the fewer charter choices you will have. There are two virtual charter school programs in GA that are statewide. You will need to research them if the local schools don't meet your family's needs.

On another post, you are asking about Covington. I did a quick search and found this, but most aren't in your price range. However, I wonder if any of them would rent to you? (Some look to have been on the market a long time.)

http://www.landandfarm.com/search/GA...Farm-for-sale/

However, this really will be a brutal commute if he has to work traditional hours. On occasion, I attend an evening meeting this direction and I can tell you, that at evening rush hour, traffic really is bumper to bumper.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:05 PM

LMM, I did ask about Covington. Our realtor has been sending us listings, and there actually seems to be many available properties...but some have been on the market for over 6 months. So that was my question: why? What's wrong with Covington? I am hoping it is strictly the ugly commute, and nothing else.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,540,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyfourLegs View Post
LMM, I did ask about Covington. Our realtor has been sending us listings, and there actually seems to be many available properties...but some have been on the market for over 6 months. So that was my question: why? What's wrong with Covington? I am hoping it is strictly the ugly commute, and nothing else.
The schools in Covington (and Atlanta's Eastern suburban counties), while adequate, are not necessarily as highly-rated and as highly-touted as the schools are in Atlanta's Northern suburban and exurban counties (Cobb, North Paulding, Cherokee, North Fulton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Walton and Oconee counties).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta