Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 11:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times

Advertisements

I went to a high school marching band contest at Milton High School in Alpharetta on Saturday. I got lost both coming and going from Ga 400, which means I drove around and saw a lot. It's been years since I explored that part of the metro, and I can honestly say that what I saw left me speechless. It is absolutely GORGEOUS up there ... stunning in fact! The quality of commercial areas, the school campuses, the attention to zoning, the clear sensitivity to new road construction, the obvious historic preservation and even the open spaces (lots of pastureland is still scattered amid some relatively high-density new development) ... I was super impressed and came away wishing that Fayette County looked this good.

Honestly, on a day like today with the incredible weather we had, I cannot fathom how so many people hate on Atlanta. Driving back down 400 tonight through the heart of Buckhead and then through the city, it never looked so beautiful. No wonder so many people want to live here!

Just had to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 01:30 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,525,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Honestly, on a day like today with the incredible weather we had, I cannot fathom how so many people hate on Atlanta.
...Extreme jealousy.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 AM

416 posts, read 973,164 times
What I appreciate about the 400 corridor (for the most part) is the significant LACK of billboards up through North Fulton.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,224,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
...Extreme jealousy.
Why does it always have to be chalked up to jealousy lol?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Why does it always have to be chalked up to jealousy lol?
Well, I think the problem is that many of Atlanta's harshest critics are people who were just passing through, got stuck in traffic and never got off the interstates and saw the neighborhoods -- IF they've ever been to Atlanta at all. How could anybody drive around Virginia-Highland, Druid Hills, Ansley Forest or West Paces Ferry and not be impressed? How could anybody drive around North Fulton County or East Cobb and not realize this is a pretty nice place to live?

And yet people always state "Atlanta is awful and I could NEVER live there!" REALLY?!

The whole "sprawl" thing is an excuse for a LOT of people who are jealous of what Metro Atlanta is. What other way to explain it?

And notice I didn't say sprawl doesn't exist; I said it was an excuse!

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-29-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,632,417 times
Quote:
Well, I think the problem is that many of Atlanta's harshest critics are people who were just passing through, got stuck in traffic and never got off the interstates and saw the neighborhoods -- IF they've ever been to Atlanta at all. How could anybody drive around Virginia-Highland, Druid Hills, Ansley Forest or West Paces Ferry and not be impressed? How could anybody drive around North Fulton County or East Cobb and not realize this is a pretty nice place to live?
And yet people always state "Atlanta is awful and I could NEVER live there!" REALLY?!

The whole "sprawl" thing really is an excuse of sorts for a LOT of people who are jealous of what Metro Atlanta is. What other way to explain it?
Sprawl is good. I want a huge yard for my kids.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Well, I think the problem is that many of Atlanta's harshest critics are people who were just passing through, got stuck in traffic and never got off the interstates and saw the neighborhoods -- IF they've ever been to Atlanta at all. How could anybody drive around Virginia-Highland, Druid Hills, Ansley Forest or West Paces Ferry and not be impressed? How could anybody drive around North Fulton County or East Cobb and not realize this is a pretty nice place to live? The whole "sprawl" thing really is an excuse of sorts. What other way to explain it?
No doubt the Atlanta metro has some gorgeous areas and 'hoods, but because someone doesn't like Atlanta doesn't mean they're jealous. I live in Buckhead and it's beautiful here. I've lived in Virginia-Highland/Druid Hills and it's absolutely gorgeous. I loved living there way more than Buckhead. I used to worked in downtown Decatur and I loved that as well, but at least for me personally, Atlanta just is not the place I want to stay. It's nothing to do with jealousy. People love or hate cities for various reasons.

There are lots of beautiful places all over the world that people wouldn't want to live. It takes more than a place being pretty to make people want to live there. Saying a place is so pretty that everyone should want to live there is like saying all attractive people should be in a relationship and should never be single. Looks aren't everything. Just because something may look the the part, it still doesn't mean that something contains everything everyone would need.

It takes so many factors to make a place a good place to live and it varies from person to person. Having a few pretty areas isn't the only thing that makes a place worth living in for many people. While a place may offer a good QOL for one person, it could offer a crappy QOL for other. It's all relative and circumstantial.

Jumping to the jealousy conclusion is a bit immature. It's like how people attack men when I say I don't like Beyonce. They automatically assume I'm jealous of her lol. Is she attractive? Sure. Does she have a great voice? Absolutely. But I think her music is garbage. If I liked her music, I would be more into her. Maybe it's a silly analogy, but I think you get my point.

Atlanta just doesn't do it for everyone. That can be said for any place in the world. Jealousy has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Not to mention me being surrounded by young rich professionals, low crime and good schools.

Burb life = good life. Unless you live in San Fran or Seattle.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,964,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Not to mention me being surrounded by young rich professionals, low crime and good schools.

.....Naaaah, it's fine if that's what you're looking for, but it's not "good" for the grand scheme of things. However, that's the "good" thing about Atlanta...there's a wide range of lifestyles (and affordable too) that you can find here. Just need to find some balance...

Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post

It's a good life for those who want that life. Not everyone wants that life...and that's ok. Of course it all depends on where you live but in order to have this life you describe and at an affordable rate, for me I had to move into the city to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta