Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,153,391 times

Advertisements

City of Decatur schools...wow, I had no idea. Looks good. But a bit bummed to know that the schools are using trailers...even at the elementary level. Is this pretty much commonplace all over nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 AM

16,721 posts, read 29,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
... Looks good. But a bit bummed to know that the schools are using trailers...even at the elementary level. Is this pretty much commonplace all over nowadays?

Trailers are a temporary solution to over-crowding. Definitely not permanent.

Trailers can be a very good sign--reveals that the area is popular and of high-interest.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,229,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
"Buckhead for their great elementary schools but it goes downhill after that."

I've read similar remarks about intown schools and I'm puzzled. What do you mean by the Buckhead schools going downhill after elementary? Is there a specific criteria you're referencing?

I don't mean to challenge you -- I'm just very curious. I'm not personally aware of any deficiencies in the public schools for Buckhead at any level.

North Atlanta High School has not been meeting AYP and has been in jeopardy of losing its accreditation. It's was a big deal and was in the news. The acting principal was fired because of it and the whole administration staff was ousted as well. Parents were outraged (self included). My daughter goes there and I was at the town hall meeting regarding this issue.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Everyone,

We're trying to identify whether there are any areas of Atlanta (other than East Cobb) that have good elementary, middle and high schools. We'd looked at Buckhead for their great elementary schools but it goes downhill after that. We know about Mary Lin and Morningside and then the Inman Middle and Grady route. Are there any others?

ITP or OTP, doesn't matter but not interested in East Cobb area.

ETA: what we mean by "good" schools are those in which the teachers are well-qualified, high level of parental involvement, most of the students are doing well academically, low percentage of student behavior/drug problems. We are partial to those with higher greatschools scores. Also, we do not want to be in the DeKalb county school district because of all of the recent issues.

Thanks,
LS
There's also City of Decatur in the 30030 zip and certain parts of Toco Hills. But other than what you already mentioned, that's pretty much it (for Atlanta proper and way. The good part of Decatur borders Atlanta after Fernbank Museum).

My daughter went to Mary Lin and Inman. Great schools. Her grades improved immensely once we moved into that school district. She became an honor student after going to those schools, is now in high school and has been on the honor roll ever since, so don't write it off.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,458,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Here are twenty good K-12 areas that are not East Cobb, Buckhead, the Grady Cluster, or DeKalb County:

1. South Lilburn/Mountain Park/North Stone Mountain (Parkview Cluster)
2. North Snellville/South Lawrenceville (Brookwood Cluster)
3. Eastern Gwinnett
4. Northern Gwinnett
5. Suwanee
6. North Duluth
7. Peachtree Corners
8. Riverwood/South Sandy Springs
9. North Fulton
10. West Cobb
11. Cherokee County
12. Forsyth County
13. Most of Paulding County
14. Alexander High Cluster of Douglas County
15. Fayette County
16. Union Grove Cluster of Henry County
17. Ola Cluster of Henry County
18. Locust Grove Cluster of Henry County
19. City of Decatur
20. Coweta County

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!
Most of these are as far or farther out than East Cobb.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times
Anything OTP or ITP will do as long as it's not East Cobb ...

Have you considered Fayette County? Peachtree City specifically? The schools down there are truly outstanding and offer everything you're looking for: qualified teachers, motivated students, competitive academics, parental involvement that borders on the ridiculous. The graduation rate is very high, the poverty rate is very low. The district is near the top of practically every state ranking -- test scores, college admissions, the percent of students in class everyday.

Ten of Fayette's 27 schools are graded perfect 10s by Great School, including both the McIntosh and Starrs Mill high school clusters in Peachtree City. No school scores lower than a 7.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-24-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 02:29 PM

16,721 posts, read 29,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Most of these are as far or farther out than East Cobb.

Um, the OP said anything OTP or ITP that is not East Cobb. No requirements/criteria were given about "farther out," etc.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:09 PM

419 posts, read 974,556 times
Quote:
City of Decatur schools...wow, I had no idea. Looks good. But a bit bummed to know that the schools are using trailers...even at the elementary level. Is this pretty much commonplace all over nowadays?
If it's near work, start your search in Alpharetta. These schools have consistently ranked near the top.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM

166 posts, read 326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
North Atlanta High School has not been meeting AYP and has been in jeopardy of losing its accreditation. It's was a big deal and was in the news. The acting principal was fired because of it and the whole administration staff was ousted as well. Parents were outraged (self included). My daughter goes there and I was at the town hall meeting regarding this issue.
Thanks -- completely forgot about that controversy somehow.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Urbanist View Post
Thanks -- completely forgot about that controversy somehow.
No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta