Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM

46 posts, read 259,522 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

my husband who is a federal Gov. worker recently found an opening in ATL. that he wanted to apply for.
We are now currently located in northern virginia approximately 10 minutes south of Washington D.C.

What I love about this place is that it is multicultural, stores, dining and more is always within walking distance.Driving 10 minutes north we got big city, drive 10 minutes south we got country and nature and our school districts are wonderful. We have a lot of sub divisions that are really nice communities with club house, pools and playgrounds. Most of these subdivisions are town homes.

If we were to move to Atlanta, this is something I would be looking for. I have lived in Killeen Texas and Meridian Mississippi before, and it was okay.Having lived here now though for so many years I sort of got spoiled being able to have all of this around me.I could not see myself go back to the all country area where sidewalks can't even be found. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE inform me of what areas in Atlanta and the outskirts of Atlanta we should be looking to relocate to.

Being that we have a 5 year old, schools are important to me, as well as I would love for it to be in some kind of community where moms can share the playgrounds so kids can play and make lots of friends. Town homes or singe family homes are fine with us.
Walking distance to store is a must for me. If there are any multicultural areas than it would be great too, but as long as we could find a place where people are fairly integrated than I would be happy with that as well. Also, looking for some place with low crime.
Thanks again in advance
T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:45 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,896,586 times
Atlanta has a lot of different areas and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

rent / own?
Price range?
Transit?
Where are your jobs located?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,922,838 times
Atlanta is a city with a lower cost of living and amenities on par with anything in VA. That said the attitude of the general GA population against fed/gov workers is much more negative in GA than in VA. Just the other days there were a ton of people ranting against wage increases for city workers. There are many nice suburbs that will fit your needs but as jsvh stated we need more details.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,781,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
... Just the other days there were a ton of people ranting against wage increases for city workers. ..
That information is a bit out of context - the protest was by the city workers themselves and they were protesting against the city council that had voted to give themselves a substantial pay raise,

City workers protest proposed Council pay raise - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Atlanta is a city with a lower cost of living and amenities on par with anything in VA. That said the attitude of the general GA population against fed/gov workers is much more negative in GA than in VA. Just the other days there were a ton of people ranting against wage increases for city workers. There are many nice suburbs that will fit your needs but as jsvh stated we need more details.
We were probably looking to buy. But if there would be nothing available then obviously we would rent.
If we would buy the limit would be $250.000
If we would rent the limit would be $1200
We have a car, but are no strangers to use metro (which we do a lot up here)
Can not remember where in ATL the job is located

Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Where the job is located is HUGE - you end up with a lousy commute and you will be miserable.

Let us know when you have that information.

Exact address or place of business is not important but major intersection or neighborhood is.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM

Smile One more thing

I am a child care provider, so I run my own family daycare based in my home.
How big is the request for child care in Atlanta and the areas surrounding it??? (here in virginia, there can never be enough child care providers. It always seems to be a lack for it)
And what is the average you pay for child care per child in Atlanta??(Here in VA, between 10-20 Dollars an hours, or between 200-400 Dollars a week)

Thanks again

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Where the job is located is HUGE - you end up with a lousy commute and you will be miserable.

Let us know when you have that information.

Exact address or place of business is not important but major intersection or neighborhood is.
He will be working in Atlanta it self. Also, not so worried about commute. We are okay with driving 35 minutes without traffic. We are used to horrible horrible traffic. Being that we live here in No.Va. we have bad traffic every day all day. With Maryland, D.C. and Virginia coming together there are no breaks in traffic here. There are no such thing as a good day. No hours where the traffic is worse than other hours. It is worse 24 hours/7 days a week.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 AM

Most of the intown neighborhoods that meet your desire for walkability and good schools are going to be out of your price range.

Roswell would meet your needs but at $250,000 I think that would put you more in a townhome than house.

An alternative is to look near the Smyrna Market Village. If or when the Belmont Hills (1/2 mile north) and Jonquil Village (1/4 mile south) are developed this would be ideal and within your price range. Schools in Smyrna are good not yet great. Smyrna offers less multiculteral diversity but is easy access to downtown jobs, Silver Comet Trail, Chattahoochee River etc.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM

492 posts, read 792,373 times
You aren't going to find anything like you described in DC in Atlanta as far as walkability,cultural amenities and such.

This is a car town and the public transit isn't anything like DC areas.

I'd suggest Chicago.

Cheaper than DC but bigger and dense with all you asked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta