Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 51,396 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Atlanta from S. Florida. I like Florida but it's getting to expensive to live here. I have 2 daughters, 5 and 11, so good schools are a definite concern. I'm looking at the Dacula area in Gwinnett county. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 AM

45 posts, read 61,301 times
I love Gwinnett and I am from Coral Gables. Dacula, Braselton, and Suwanee are all good places with great potential and awesome schools. I am a Realtor and we have moved about 8 famlies this year from Florida to Gwinnett. It kinda depends on what type of lifestyle you have, where you are going to work, and what type of home you are looking for.
In Dacula, Hamilton Mill is a great PUD with good schools. You have Harbins, Dacula, and Dyer. The same goes for Braselton. That is where I believe you will make money from your investment. You also have great parks like Boggs and Chateu Forest in Braselton.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:57 AM

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. We are looking at a community called Fairmont on The Park in Dacula. Are you familiar w/that area? I hear the Elementary, Middle and High schools are very close. I'm concerned about the jobs. I am a legal assistant and I hear the commute to Atlanta is horrendous and if you want to make good income you have to drive. How true is that in your opinion? Do you think that there are other areas I can drive to in Gwinnett when I can find a lawfirm and make decent income w/out having to drive to Atlanta?

Old 09-26-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty2 View Post
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. We are looking at a community called Fairmont on The Park in Dacula. Are you familiar w/that area? I hear the Elementary, Middle and High schools are very close. I'm concerned about the jobs. I am a legal assistant and I hear the commute to Atlanta is horrendous and if you want to make good income you have to drive. How true is that in your opinion? Do you think that there are other areas I can drive to in Gwinnett when I can find a lawfirm and make decent income w/out having to drive to Atlanta?
ABSOLUTELY! It depends on the type of law you wish to practice. O'kelley and Sorohan handles all my deals and they have about 8 offices all in Gwinnett. Fairmont is a nice place the schools and the area are strong, yet for the money there is plenty to choose from where your options, with respect to the home design and lay of land, may be a bit better. From Dacula the drive can be a long haul. Especially since you are planning on working the common hours, 9-5 or something like that. I would also recommend Chamblee, Dunwoody, and places in that area that have lawyers around every corner and great living areas. Gwinnett has lots of pockets in the Southern part that will allow for you to easily commute without having to contend with traffic all the time.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM

Thanks so much for your input. I didn't quite understand about Dacula. Did you mean I should look in other areas to live instead? I'm a corporate legal assistant and that's a big concern for me because I have a good job and am scared to make the wrong move if you know what I mean.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM

I completely understand and I can't blame you. What I was referring to above is that I believe that you shouldn't worry about employmen in your field, but if you wanted to increase your chances you may want to begin looking a little closer to downtown/midtown where there are lots of attorneys. I'm pretty sure life would be better for you in the areas that you're looking in. As a Realtor I usually try to assess the customer's lifestyle, goals and desire way of life and accomodate them to the area that fits their criteria. The area is great for your children, the value of the home for the money, and your return on your investment. Here, follow this link to see what type of law positions are available here.

http://www.lawstaffgroup.com/

Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Thanks again for all your help. i will definitely check this website. What's the difference between Lawrenceville and Dacula. Which one has the best schools? I will be taking a trip overthere and want to look into both areas. I would like to stay in Gwinnett county. Also, regarding crime rate. I see Dacula is in the (5) range and Lawrenceville in the (4) range in most parts. I'm not sure what this means. I might be there this weekend.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
Search for http://reportcard2006.gaosa.org/ for latest stat on the schools. Also, search http://reportcard2005.gaosa.org/ for last year stats on the schools.

If one's kids are average or at risk, look for CRCT scores or average SAT score.

But if one's kids are top students, may want to look for % of students score > 1220 on SAT (which just happened to UGA incoming freshmen score).

Old 09-29-2006, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 17,092 times
Default Fairmont on the Park, Dacula Georgia

Hi Frosty,
[cut] You were right, the schools are close (the Elementary, Middle and High Schools all surround our subdivision) and are very highly rated. Alot of people from your area have found their new home at Fairmont, in fact about 85% of our current phase are Floridians. I actually moved here from Florida (Fort Myers) six years ago and absolutely love it here! We are down to our last 22 homes (consisting of 5 - 2 story homesites, 3 - Ranch on basement homesites and 14 Ranch on slab homesites). We are currently offering some pretty awesome incentives, depending on when you planning to make the move to our beautiful area. We are only 15 minutes from Mall of Georgia and the Duluth and Suwanee areas...lots of Attorney's offices and job opportunities.

Moderator cut: advertising

Hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited by Marka; 09-30-2006 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
If you have young kids, I would recommend Parson Elementary school in Suwanee or Brookwood elementary school in Sneville, ga. Those two are probably best elementary schools in Gwinnett.

Not a big fan of Dacula or Lawrenceville. Too many new development. A co-worker bought a brand new house in Dacula that costs as same as my 3 years old townhouse in Duluth

I would recommend Suwanee, 30097 of Duluth or Sneville, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta