Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times

Advertisements

This thread shows how backwards thinking some of you southerners are. Maybe they should send the people over public transportation here up north to DC or NY so they can learn how a real mass transportation system should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This thread shows how backwards thinking some of you southerners are. Maybe they should send the people over public transportation here up north to DC or NY so they can learn how a real mass transportation system should be.
Grate post. I reckin Yu be's soooo smert.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
The core of the issue here is a historically high level of balkanization within the metro area. Too many cooks and all that.

I think MKR's** idea of a regional transport authority is a large step in the right direction.

** - MKR == Mayor Kasim Reed. Doesn't he sound cool as a TLA? Guess it also works with his real first name.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:46 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times
Not trying to take sides here in regards to Cobb County...I am just posting from an event planner's point of view.

Not having MARTA connect directly to the Cumberland area has cost the city lost revenue when it comes to large businesses and associations that want to have their events at the Cobb Galleria or the Cobb Performance Arts Center. These businesses and associations feel that it is too big of an inconvenience for their out of town meeting guests or attendees to try and commute from the airport to the Cobb Galleria area via taxi or rental car.

While I definitely respect the residents of Cobb not wanting MARTA fully in their community, I do feel that at least having a line that connected from the Arts Center Station to the Cumberland transfer center would be great for employees who worked in that area and for business.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:53 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
While I definitely respect the residents of Cobb not wanting MARTA fully in their community, I do feel that at least having a line that connected from the Arts Center Station to the Cumberland transfer center would be great for employees who worked in that area and for business.
I agree. There are a lot of people who live intown and need to commute to work out near the Galleria area as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
Not trying to take sides here in regards to Cobb County...I am just posting from an event planner's point of view.

Not having MARTA connect directly to the Cumberland area has cost the city lost revenue when it comes to large businesses and associations that want to have their events at the Cobb Galleria or the Cobb Performance Arts Center. These businesses and associations feel that it is too big of an inconvenience for their out of town meeting guests or attendees to try and commute from the airport to the Cobb Galleria area via taxi or rental car.

Yup....and people that go to schools downtown.....

And again a line from Cumberland to Perimeter. That area of 285 is always congested and it would help. There are tons of people who work from these two areas.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:35 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
That comment isn't called for, and I'm not a southerner, so what's my excuse? I grew up in NYC and rode the Flushing Line to high school every day for 4 years. I agree that what we have now isn't adequate, but the answer isn't more of the same.

Transit that makes sense and serves the community that pays for it is what we need, not a 1960s radial system that serves a very small % of commuters. Demanding something else isn't ignorant, in fact it's smarta.

EDIT: Just saw this posted by Arjay in another thread. I hope he doesn't mind me borrowing, because it illustrates exactly why the thought process behind expanding rail to downtown isn't all that important.

Last edited by neil0311; 04-10-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
^^^ Wow eye opening numbers.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:20 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
EDIT: Just saw this posted by Arjay in another thread. I hope he doesn't mind me borrowing, because it illustrates exactly why the thought process behind expanding rail to downtown isn't all that important.
Neil, no, I don't mind at all. Those numbers are from the Brookings Institution, by the way. And they define "Central City" as the city limits of Atlanta proper. So they include Downtown, Buckhead, Midtown, the Airport, the industrial areas, and everything else within the city limits.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM

75 posts, read 118,778 times
When does everyone guess these new stops on the new map will open? Next year hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta