Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Alpharetta area in August and desperately need some directional. We have a daughter who will be entering first grade and need help. From what I can tell most of the schools are similar in ratings. We have a budget of about 250,000 and are looking for a well kept family community. My husband will be working from home and I will be working for Delta Dental in Alpharetta so we have our choice as to what city to live in. Commuting is not a huge issue for however, we will have to travel to Sandy Springs a few times a week to pickup my stepson so we know we do not want to go too far north. Can anyone recommend nice subdivisions in that price range? We did visit a few weeks ago with a realtor but there are so many areas it was overwhelming. Are there any opinions on neighborhoods like, Breckenridge, Pines at Kimball Bridge, Silver Ridge and Saddle Bridge? What are some nice neighborhoods in Roswell/ Alpharetta/Johns Creek areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,067,687 times
Also Southern Forsyth will meet your requirments. Just about all the school in the area are great. Since your stepson will be in SS try to be close to GA/400 . My guess is you will be getting him off peak some so the traffic should not be to bad. How old is he?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,335,099 times
In Johns Creek, I think the following might work: Glenhurst (Parsons and 141. Wilson Creek Elementary). Cameron Forest (State Bridge Rd - State Br Elementary). Cameron Forest has a better location.

I am not familiar with housing in Roswell and Alpharetta.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM

188 posts, read 596,295 times
My friend lives in Hunt's Pointe, which is right off of Old Alabama Road in the very southeastern corner of Johns Creek. It's directly across the street from Country Club of the South. (If you happen to be Catholic, it's near a wonderful Catholic Church -- St. Brigid.) But even so, the traffic in that area during rush hour can be awful (I pulled up where you work on Google maps).

I'd find out what elementary school your place of employment is zoned for, call the elementary school, and ask them to suggest subdivisions to you. You'll be close to work, and given that your job is close to 400 already, you'll also be able to get to Sandy Springs fairly quickly.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,335,099 times
Roswell / Alpharetta / JC cover a wide area. There are different ways to make your choice:
- based on school attendance (all north fulton schools are good. do you have one that you prefer?)
- based on proximity to work place (what is the distance that is ok for you)
- based on proximity to GA 400 in general
If you have any thoughts on these, let us know.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 91,577 times
I was actually about to post a very similar question. If you were relocating and could live in any of the three above mentioned places, which would be your pick and why?

Where we currently live, we're about 10 miles out of town and, although I love the neighborhood and our home, I really dislike the drive into town. I like to be able to run to the store at a minutes notice if need be and not have to make all of your errands at one time!

School isn't an issue for us but shopping is. I'm leaning towards Alpharetta but would want to look at all three areas before making a decision. I'm not at liberty to state our occupation but we could probably work from any of these three areas.

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to hearing some different opinions.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,821,653 times
Roswell. (Ranked 76th top community in the US per Money magazine). Great schools, fabulous park and recreation programs, charming historic areas and restaurants. Lots of family events.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,596 times
Roswell all the way. It has more of a community feel. The parks and walking trails are great. The downtown scene is happening also.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:35 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,048,970 times
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the 'downtown' scene in Roswell is overrated. Their downtown is really a single street (barely the length of a block) with a couple of boutiques and cafes on it. There is no town square and hasn't really been anywhere to sit the few times I have visited.

I have never understood why people are so enamored of it.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,797,092 times
Just to warn everyone: This is another old thread that was bumped. The OP has long moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta