Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 02:50 AM

142 posts, read 239,227 times

Advertisements

This is a subjective judgement, but here goes...

I've been to both Bali and Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand, and one thing I've noticed is Balinese just seem genuinely friendly than Thais. While there were genuinely friendly Thais, far more seemed to have ulterior motives, and you got the feeling everyone was trying to rip you off. Despite the fact Bali gets a lot of tourists too, I was actually surprised that aside from the usual sellers, I was never cheated, ripped off in Bali, and people seemed mostly honest and interested in you. Another difference is, I had many massages in Bali and was never once offered a 'happy ending', while it seems in almost all cases, even in posh spas, I was offered it in Bangkok.

My friend said it could be related to religion. Perhaps Balinese still have a more rural mindset? Bangkok people are big city people, and maybe the large Chinese Thai influence on business too? Also in Phuket. Maybe the Balinese, despite years of tourism, are sort of more down to earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
I think it's big city vs more rural. Outside of Bangkok Ive met some of the nicest, most genuine people I've come across in Thailand, and also from Thai's abroad. being that Thailand is primarily a Buddhist country I don't think religion plays a huge factor. I think it's just the same difference in meeting people in NYC versus Upstate New York. As far as the happy endings, Bangkok, and Pattaya, as wel as Phuket to a lesser extent, or well known worldwide sex tourism destinations. From what I've seen, even in Thai massages abroad clients are more often searching for a place with a "happy ending", if not more, than just a regular massage.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 AM

40 posts, read 56,726 times
My personal thought is that balinese are less materilized.
Ive met nice thais, but less genuine

Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,935 times
It is a norm for Indonesians to be friendly at its best to its "tamu" or guest and treat them with respect. As a tourist visting you are regarded as "tamu". Rural or not that would pretty much happened anywhere around the country, and apart from touristy areas, there isnt really ripping off culture. But the rural culture did plays a role since many people of the urbans in fact comes from the villages and they brought in their strong sense of community and keeping them alive in cities.

As for the interest, it seems that Indonesians in general are more curious compared to Thais and the people here are more straight and open. English proficiency also plays role, while Indonesians generally (outside Bali) dont speak English or good at it, the Thais are even worse.

As for sex tourism, its not happening openly or as crazy here because its a taboo. I think it got to be the buddhist culture of thailand plays role why prostitution are seen as ok, i've read about it somewhere why prostitution isn't that much of a taboo in Buddhism. Indonesia in comparison whether they're hindus, muslims or christians they dont like open prostitution because it doesn't fit the society's moral standard. Even the prostitute working in bali apperently consist mostly javanese rather than balinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphoneneedsbattery View Post
My personal thought is that balinese are less materilized.
Ive met nice thais, but less genuine
Yes indeed they are.

Last edited by Goshio22; 08-13-2014 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia