Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 06:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 5,745,514 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Last year, I had a vacation in Eureka Springs and took a road trip from Conway up on highway 65.

It ended up being one of my favorite road trips. Very scenic especially around Buffalo River. I would like to take a friend up that route but I don't want to go all the way to Eureka. Is there any interesting tourist destinations that we could stop at on this route besides Eureka Springs? I vaguely recall reading about bakery in one of the towns that would be fun to check out, but I can't remember the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
I don't know about the bakery, but you could check out Withrow Springs, and you could grab lunch at the War Eagle Mill. That would make a nice afternoon.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 AM

340 posts, read 517,144 times
Move west to the next highway, hwy 7. You'll go by the Grand Canyon of the Ozarks, the mountain tower, and can have lunch at the Ozark Cafe in Jasper. Then you'll cross the Buffalo River, then the ruins of the old Dogpatch theme park before you get to Harrison. Might even take a side trip over to Ponca, if you're lucky you'll see elk.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,765,370 times
The bakery is in Leslie.

Serenity Farm Bread

Let us know how it is! I've never been there....been to Leslie, but not the bakery.

And yes, as jimnelson1 said, you can sort of circle west and come back down Hwy. 7 and see even more spectacular scenery than on 65 (IMO). Cut through 123 at Western Grove, then take the Low Water Bridge Rd. at Hasty. It appears, from looking at google maps, that they have replaced the "low water" bridge with a new, raised one, so the water level shouldn't matter. I believe about the only indication you will have that you are approaching Hasty is the Hasty Volunteer Fire Dept. building on the left. Anyway, the road to the Low Water Bridge is clearly marked with a one of those brown Natl. Park Service signs....It says, "Hasty Buffalo National River". There is a place to get to the river right after you cross it....there is probably a sign, but it will be the first road to the right after the bridge.

That will eventually hit 74, which goes into Jasper. The Grand Canyon and mountain tower jimnelson1 mentioned is south of Jasper on 7, and you will pass them if you head back down to I40 from there. If you are an "antiquer", stop at Emma's Museum of Junk in Jasper....it will be on your right on the square as you head south. She always has interesting stuff.

So many things to do in Arkansas....so little time. *sigh* Hope you have a good trip.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 08-18-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-18-2015, 10:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,352,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The bakery is in Leslie.

Serenity Farm Bread

Let us know how it is! I've never been there....been to Leslie, but not the bakery.

That sounds great. That's a place I'll check out when I visit too.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM

10,093 posts, read 5,745,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
The bakery is in Leslie.

Serenity Farm Bread

And yes, as jimnelson1 said, you can sort of circle west and come back down Hwy. 7 and see even more spectacular scenery than on 65 (IMO). Cut through 123 at Western Grove, then take the Low Water Bridge Rd. at Hasty. It appears, from looking at google maps, that they have replaced the "low water" bridge with a new, raised one, so the water level shouldn't matter. I believe about the only indication you will have that you are approaching Hasty is the Hasty Volunteer Fire Dept. building on the left. Anyway, the road to the Low Water Bridge is clearly marked with a one of those brown Natl. Park Service signs....It says, "Hasty Buffalo National River". There is a place to get to the river right after you cross it....there is probably a sign, but it will be the first road to the right after the bridge.

That will eventually hit 74, which goes into Jasper. The Grand Canyon and mountain tower jimnelson1 mentioned is south of Jasper on 7, and you will pass them if you head back down to I40 from there. If you are an "antiquer", stop at Emma's Museum of Junk in Jasper....it will be on your right on the square as you head south. She always has interesting stuff.

So many things to do in Arkansas....so little time. *sigh* Hope you have a good trip.
Wow thanks guys. Yeah that was the bakery I read about! Sounds like a fun tourist stop. Looking forward to checking out all your suggestions.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:06 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,381,271 times
Take your checkbook to the bakery. Never seen a higher priced bakery in all my travels...3 years ago it was $7 for a loaf of bread. The old Leslie CO-OP used to be next door. ...now that would be worth a visit, but it is no more. You might check out Blanchard Springs Caverns.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas