Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston Nutt resigns - your personal feelings?
I'm glad, I think this is long overdue and a chance for the Hogs to move forward 7 46.67%
I hate to see the guy go. 4 26.67%
There is no way I could possibly care any less about this issue one way or the other. 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I agree that Herring is a very good coach and motivator even though our pass defense HAS been spotty at times this year. Kentucky lit us up for 265 yds through the air and 2 TDs and SC passed for over 300, 172 of which was in the 3rd to help bring them back within striking distance.

The old ball coach and Kentucky both have great passing offenses. 265 and 300 yards is not a ton, the guy stuffed Florida very well last year in the SEC championship game. Why would Houston Nutt want to go to Ole Miss???? He's finally getting a WINNING program on track at Arkansas, BIG MISTAKE! Ole Miss is terrible, I'd rather go out of the conference myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
The old ball coach and Kentucky both have great passing offenses. 265 and 300 yards is not a ton, the guy stuffed Florida very well last year in the SEC championship game. Why would Houston Nutt want to go to Ole Miss???? He's finally getting a WINNING program on track at Arkansas, BIG MISTAKE! Ole Miss is terrible, I'd rather go out of the conference myself.
Ole Miss must have put up some $$, because it will take Nutt several years just to get some recruits to build with..

Old 11-27-2007, 10:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
Why would Houston Nutt want to go to Ole Miss???? He's finally getting a WINNING program on track at Arkansas, BIG MISTAKE! Ole Miss is terrible, I'd rather go out of the conference myself.

Email-gate....lots of people feel his family and friends have behaved with significantly less decorum than befitting the head of the flagship sports program in our state. Despite all of words from the likes of Jim Lindsey, and Frankie, the writing was on the wall that for the good of Arkansas sports, he should leave. IMO...

Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,889 times
Quote:
Who is Jon Tenuta?!?!?! Never heard of him. He's got nothing to do with Arkansas that I know of!

I agree that Herring is a very good coach and motivator even though our pass defense HAS been spotty at times this year. Kentucky lit us up for 265 yds through the air and 2 TDs and SC passed for over 300, 172 of which was in the 3rd to help bring them back within striking distance. I'm not sure he's head coach material and I doubt he'll get a fair chance to prove it in one game.

Oh and Sam...sorry to say...Nutt's going to the Rebs:
Report: Nutt headed to Ole Miss - FOX16.com
I thought our defense sucked this year.

Not putting down Alabama or Kentucky, but we certainly scored enough points to win those games with a little better defensive effort, plus we led late, but that's the SEC.

8 and 4 is not a bad record, though I'll admit beating on a doormat is not such a big deal, but the win againt LSU made up for an otherwise lackluster year.

I like Nutt's emphasis on academics also.

I hate to see the guy go and no matter how you parse it, a lot of coaches would be grateful for a 75-48-0 (0.610) record in the SEC.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Oh and Sam...sorry to say...Nutt's going to the Rebs:
Report: Nutt headed to Ole Miss - FOX16.com

WAHHHHHHH!!!! Dang, stormcrow, you've messed up my entire day...

Sorry, guys - I'll just be glad to see Nutt roll on down the road. Although I feel his pain about being part of Frankie's Gang, there's too much impressive talent that has passed through F'ville that really hasn't had a chance to strut their stuff. I hope we'll find someone that can work a defense too...and may Frank have more good days than bad as he takes off too...the old guard needs to step down. Actually, should have stepped down a while ago...

Mag - we agree - - the emphasis on academics has been a breath of fresh air, I hope the incoming coach will take it seriously as well. It ain't all HawgBall.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:43 PM

While I'm glad to see him go, I'm more than a bit concerned about the available talent out there right now to replace him. We need to find someone in their prime with proven capabilities and who will actually care enough about Razorback football to take it to the next level. I'm just not sure anyone like that is available right now.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times
I don't follow the Hogs as closely as I did when I lived in Fayetteville -- I watch one or two games a year, if that (parts of the Tennessee game, and the second half plus overtimes of LSU, this year). That said, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would take the job as long as Frank Broyles is in charge. Dickson Street is littered with the corpses of good football coaches who ultimately couldn't manage the challenge of winning games while coping with Frank's meddling. I lost a lot of respect for Frank with the whole Ken Hatfield thing, and more so when he hired Danny Ford to replace Jack Crowe.

I don't know much about his abilities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tim Horton get a shot at some point -- perhaps not yet, but sometime. He joined the staff this year as RB coach when Danny Nutt stepped down. He's been successful as a RB/WR coach and off coord elsewhere, including his stints at Kansas State and Air Force, he's a former standout Hog player and his ties to the program both on his own and through his dad are strong -- the strongest of anyone now on the staff. He's also been recruiting in Arkansas throughout his time at KSU and Air Force. Of course, he's never been a head coach anywhere, which would be a big factor working against him, but he's certainly been around the coaching game his whole life, with his dad being an assistant to Frank and to Lou Holtz, and then head coach (winning national championships) at UCA. And Harold's current job, of course, is vice president of the Razorback Foundation -- connections don't come much better than that. I suspect he'll have to get some head coaching experience elsewhere first, though.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
That said, it's hard for me to understand why anyone would take the job as long as Frank Broyles is in charge. Dickson Street is littered with the corpses of good football coaches who ultimately couldn't manage the challenge of winning games while coping with Frank's meddling. I lost a lot of respect for Frank with the whole Ken Hatfield thing, and more so when he hired Danny Ford to replace Jack Crowe.
Let's remember that Frank is gone come January...in theory at least....

I wouldn't be too surprised if they don't prop up his corpse here in a few years at the head of some meeting table up there and keep asking him what to do. Ok, that was morbid and probably WAY out of line. I apologize.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Isn't that where the phrase "talking heads" came from? Maybe he's going to be cryo'd like Disney...

Frank makes the Ever Ready Bunny look like a short-timer.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,889 times
Quote:
..... Ok, that was morbid and probably WAY out of line. I apologize.

Actually, it was outrageously funny, but some might not see the humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas