Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM

23 posts, read 90,646 times

Advertisements

Im from Texas, and was wondering if I could survive the summer in Arizona? Also is housing more expensive in Arizona? I'm looking to stay in an apartment.

Last edited by dynasty32; 02-24-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,161,064 times
Where in Texas are you from? Texas is pretty hot, not Arizona hot, but then again higher humidity. Much of AZ does also get humid in late summer. Flagstaff is alot milder being in the mountains.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM

23 posts, read 90,646 times
Houston

Old 02-25-2009, 02:47 AM

44,667 posts, read 61,767,196 times
Houston is a wet heat, Phoenix is a dry heat. Your choice to sweat a lot or roast.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynasty32 View Post
Im from Texas, and was wondering if I could survive the summer in Arizona? Also is housing more expensive in Arizona? I'm looking to stay in an apartment.
I am not sure that anyone can answer this for you. There are plenty of resources online where you can see how hot it is in different parts of the state during the summer. The Southwest Deserts and Colorado River Valley tend to be the hottest, with the Mogollon Rim often being the coolest.

There are also plenty of websites where you can find the median home prices of towns and cities around the state. With no mention of income or housing price range, only you know what you can afford.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,375,615 times
The summer temps in Arizona are largely driven by the altitude - and since the altitude varies a great deal (from 200 feet in Yuma to 7,000 feet or so in Flagstaff) so do the temps. As a general rule of thumb, for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain the daytime temp will drop about 3-4 degrees - meaning Flagstaff will likely be 18-24 degrees cooler than Yuma at any given time. What I suggest you do is to go here (https://www.city-data.com/city/Arizona.html) and click on the names of the various cities and towns. That will bring up a profile page for each one - showing the average temps, population, crime statistics, and lots of other info.

Soon you will begin to see how the temps correlate with the altitude color coding on the map - with green areas (lowest elevation) being super hot in the summer, red areas (highest elevation) being more temperate in the summer (but much cooler in the winter), and brown areas being somewhere in the middle. As a rule of thumb you could say that the low elevation (green) areas tend to have summer highs in the low 100's, the mid-elevation (brown) areas in the low 90's or upper 80's and the high elevation areas (red) in the 80's.. All areas will experience higher humidity during July and August - though NOTHING like that in Houston (or even Dallas) - during periods of thunderstorm activity.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 1,311,384 times
I'd be quite happy in Flag during the summer. But I live in Phoenix and it's not all that comfortable at times. I know; you're from TX and all but, AZ is a pretty big state too....kinda depends upon where you plan to go.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 AM

288 posts, read 852,764 times
I lived in Arizona for 15 years. Temps depend on your elevation. Flagstaff has a mountain climate, so the temps drop significantly at night. Tucson is 1,000 feet higher in elevation than Phoenix, so it has cooler nights than Phoenix. Phoenix is a frying pan in the summer; it's like opening your oven. If you rent in Phoenix, try to rent on a ground floor because hot air rises, and try to rent behind a large shade tree or morning-only sunshine. Seriously, know which direction your windows are facing!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,280,966 times
I can't say how hot it is in the summer. But being from Michigan and visiting in April last year it was hot. Little above average compared to other years so I was told. Right around 95-99 the week I was there. But with that said it still did not really feel uncomfortable hot. In fact we spent most days outside and I never really felt that hot. I didn't even tan. Was kind of bummed. It took me a few days to adjust mind you, coming from 40 to 97 right off the plane was a shock to the system. I also did not drink much. We plan to go back this spring and possibly move there. Nothing beats that sunshine. Oh also my brother just moved there from Ohio. Him and his kids just love it. So if they can adjust to the heat from Ohio I'd be willing to bet making the move from Texas won't be so bad.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 18,344 times
Hello I am a student starting clases at GCU, I am possible thinking about moving in that area. I understand its hot there! But Dry heat is different from our moist heat, correct. So does it seem hotter with out the humdity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona