Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 AM

10 posts, read 34,241 times

Advertisements

We lived in Tucson for many years and moved to Ohio in 1984. I have always loved the area around Sonoita and we are considering a move back to Arizona. I looked at available property (acreage) in Sonoita and it looks to be more expensive than I can afford, but some of the nearby areas (Benson, Pearce, Elfrida, Sierra Vista, etc) seem much more affordable. I really like Prescott and Payson, but they are also quite expensive by Ohio standards.

One thing I worry about in SE Arizona is the danger potential that comes with illegal immigration. Since I want acreage, that will put us some distance from population centers, and therefore possibly in the path of those entering the country illegally. Do these folks present a threat to local residents and is the problem getting better or worse. Any experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated. We will be in Arizona on vacation in October and in SE Arizona in about three weeks (mid-October) and I would like to look at some property in both Central Az and SE Az.

Thanks in advance for your help,

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Well, no one has responded. I wonder why that is; is this a subject that no one wants to touch fearing that some controversy will ensue, or is it just a subject of little interest to most folks. I have read the available articles from regional and national news outlets and am just looking for some local input. It doesn't have to be first-hand experience, but just whether local residents feel safe and secure on a daily basis, or if the travel of illegals through the area is a serious problem. I imagine that the goal of illegals is to leave the area as quickly as possible without bringing attention to themselves.

Thanks in advance for your input.

JR

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,000 times
I did a google search of "illegal immigration arizona corridors map" and found a few links like the one below.

"A Tucson, Arizona based group called Humane Borders is printing maps of the border and directions for illegal aliens to follow to illegally enter the United States. The maps are to be distributed by Mexico's human rights agency throughout the country."

"Humane Borders has produced maps for each of the four main corridors through Arizona: Douglas, Lukeville, Sasabe and Nogales. The maps show mountains, roads, railroads and cities. "

Humane Borders, A US Based Activist Group, To Print Maps Of Border And Directions For Illegal Aliens : Diggers Realm

Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
I have lived in Hereford since February. We are about 6 miles from the border, and three doors down from state range land, and a "pick up point." So far, I haven't felt that I had to fear for my safety or that of my family's. I haven't had any contact with UDAs. My husband works in the mountains, and hasn't had any issues so far.

We do often have the BP helicopter circling low over our house at night (covering the range land). It was a little annoying in the beginning since it woke up the baby, but now he is use to it and sleeps through it.

There is a decrease in activity the further from the border, as people spread out/are picked up.

By the way, Sonoita is definitely on the prettier side of the mountains.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM

By the way, the lack of response is more due to the lack of CD users from this area it seems.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:10 PM

49 posts, read 138,676 times
Uh, the lack of response is indeed (in my opinion) because the very subject of illegal immigration is taboo. Our dearest friends in the world, retired colonel and wife, have lived in Sierra Vista, AZ for many years. My sister also has been there for over twenty years. Because of the touchiness of the subject, people worried about real estate prices, reputation of the town, etc. you will get few SV businesspeople to be honest about the situation. The illegal situation is serious and growing (don't expect either Prez candidate to do much about Mexico). If your acreage is violated or abused (diapers, assorted trash and other damage to environment) don't expect anyone to do anything about it. If any other citizen in Arizona did some of the environmental damage that these illegals do, there would be outrage. So, SE AZ is gorgeous but you have to know what you are getting into being that close to Mexico. YES, YES, Sonoita is very very pretty. I always thought that area was especially scenic if you want horses (we do!) rather than Miller Canyon, Hereford, which is more populated. Hope this helps. This is just one area that I know something about, even though I am up here in Clarkston, WA and originally from TX!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the input; I figured that this subject might be touchy for some folks.

Crazyme4878 - Are you saying that you actually see illegals traveling through the desert near your home, or just that it is probably an area that they use. We are in Arizona every couple of years since we moved away and usually go to Tombstone and Bisbee on each trip. We have always been stopped by BP agents at checkpoints and asked for ID, so it's my guess that the BP has a large presence in the area.

AzDreamer - Thanks for the website; lots of interesting information there. I understand humanitarian efforts, but I really think such efforts just encourage more immigrants to enter the US illegally. My latest visit to Tucson demonstrated to me how our hospital emergency rooms are being overwhelmed by the unisured and those in the country illegally. I was visiting with a friend from Germany and she needed a prescription renewal and found that the US pharmacies would not honor her German prescription. They all advised that she go to an emergency room and have the doctor there write a US prescription. The wait at TMC in Tucson was estimated at 8 hours; the waiting room was packed.

Knittee - Thanks for your thoughts; I'm sure you are correct. As much as I like Sonoita it is just not within our price range. All that California money coming into Arizona for the last 25 years has really driven up the prices. The house I sold in Tucson in the 80's for $82,000 is now valued at about $350,00; that's just crazy.

JR

Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdudas View Post
Thanks for the input; I figured that this subject might be touchy for some folks.

Crazyme4878 - Are you saying that you actually see illegals traveling through the desert near your home, or just that it is probably an area that they use. We are in Arizona every couple of years since we moved away and usually go to Tombstone and Bisbee on each trip. We have always been stopped by BP agents at checkpoints and asked for ID, so it's my guess that the BP has a large presence in the area.
Well, they usually move at night, so no I don't see them. A couple months ago, our neighbors were woke up by an especially loud pick-up caravan (they know it was a pick-up because first of all, who drives with that many cars and people at four in the morning in an extremely small, quiet neighborhood? Plus it was van, sedan, van, sedan, etc., which is their standard MO). You know they were in the area because the day before, the range line looked one way, the next morning, there is a ton more litter--pedilite bottles, backpacks, stray clothing--all typical UDA litter. Or warming fire rings. I have seen them walking down Hwy. 92 from Carr Canyon once (probably drug smugglers). I see the Border Patrol apprehending UDAs along 92 near my house on a weekly basis (and this is just when I happen to drive along at the right time, so I doubt I have the luck to witness all the pick ups around our area). And of course, the nightly visit by the BP helicopter--my husband says they cost about $6,000/hour to run, so you bet they aren't flying over the range just for fun. I'm usually in the house for the night, but last week I had to go out, and along another road by the same range area that we are by and that the helipcopter was making passes over, there were two BP horse trailers, 3-4 regular BP trucks, on more coming. So, no, I don't see them, but I do know for a fact that right now, as I type, there are several UDAs within a mile of my house. Yet, I don't fear that they are going to come into my yard, it is one of the reasons everyone has a fenced yard. I also don't fear that one will attack me or purposely steal from me, etc. I don't feel like I can't walk around my neighbor during the day or evening or that my children can't play alone in the yard. Yet, I don't take chances either.

And yes, the BP has a HUGE presence. You don't see them in SV too often, but driving 92 to Bisbee you will always see several of them parked on the side along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona