Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 16,419 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a 55 year old lady who wants to move somewhere where the climate is mild (err on the side of warm if needed) the crime rate is low, and there is a large enough single community of people my age that I will have someone to do activities with.

Also, for my grown kids (not for me) I would like to be within two hours of great skiing.

Any insight welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Prescott is milder than the valley, but it does get chilly in the winter. We get hot, hotter and hottest, in most places during the summer. We live in N. Peoria and the crime here is not as bad as downtown Phoenix. There are plenty of age qualified communities to choose from such as, Dell Webb in Surprise, Sun City and Antham. The Trilogy, by Shea, community has some great homes and the amenities and club house rival most resorts. You can google www.sheahomes.com and go to the Trilogy in Peoria to see some of the floor plans. The family side across the road is also a nice place to live. www.vistancia.com. Some of the regular folks on this site will probably suggest some nice places near ski resorts. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 PM

164 posts, read 845,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
Prescott is milder than the valley, but it does get chilly in the winter. We get hot, hotter and hottest, in most places during the summer. We live in N. Peoria and the crime here is not as bad as downtown Phoenix. There are plenty of age qualified communities to choose from such as, Dell Webb in Surprise, Sun City and Antham. The Trilogy, by Shea, community has some great homes and the amenities and club house rival most resorts. You can google www.sheahomes.com and go to the Trilogy in Peoria to see some of the floor plans. The family side across the road is also a nice place to live. www.vistancia.com. Some of the regular folks on this site will probably suggest some nice places near ski resorts. Good luck.
Sun city Grande is awesome for someone 55. My aunt lives there for 3 years now and she is more active than me. Its a beautiful resort style community for 55 and over and you have a choice of your own home or condo or apartment to buy. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:28 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Default Not Phx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonamorning View Post
Hi there,
I am a 55 year old lady who wants to move somewhere where the climate is mild (err on the side of warm if needed) the crime rate is low, and there is a large enough single community of people my age that I will have someone to do activities with.

Also, for my grown kids (not for me) I would like to be within two hours of great skiing.

Any insight welcome
For what you describe, I would not suggest Phx metro area at all, it's just too hot. I would look at Prescott, or any other town up in the northern area- however you will get some cool/cold temps in the winter.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hello -- I'm a midwest native, we have lived in the Phoenix area for over twenty years, and I've also lived in Tucson. I would concur with some of the earlier posters that Phoenix is very hot. There are some nice cities that are not quite as large that have skiing within two hours. Boise,ID, Loveland, CO, Spokane, WA are all nice. St George, UT is a growing community. Phoenix is huge and is spread over a large geographical area -- if you do move here, consider moving close to your employment; it improves your quality of life if you can avoid long commutes. At age 55, I would not even consider a retirement community -- there are tons of patio home communities with a greater diversity of ages. Good luck !

Old 03-17-2007, 11:45 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
Default Sun City!

I agree that Sun City is the place for you. Sun City Grande is a little more expensive, but also nicer. You'll be two hours from Flagstaff, where they receive lots of snow in the winter. Sun City is right by the booming city of Surprise, so you also now get to have all the shops and businesses nearby. There are three hospitals close or in Sun City, and lots of activities for 55+.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 195,331 times
Default Don't Do Arizona!

If you like to ski, move to Spokane!!! Ther are numerous, great ski areas all within a few hours drive with good reliable snow. And the best part, they are super cheap compared to others, ie: CO,UT etc. Yet the winters in the city of Spokane are mild with hardly any snow. It's also cheaper living here, you get more for your money! Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona