Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,507 times

Advertisements

Hello Arizona people! I currently live in MA, looking to purchase a home and move to Arizona early next year (pandemic permitting!) I am own my own business and work from home, looking in the areas of Prescott. Prescott Valley, Cottonwood and possibly Wickenburg. Absolutely love Sedona but would rather live near it than in it. I am also an artist, photographer, nature lover and horse person (I know there are some good boarding stables in those areas). Can anyone tell me if there are areas/neighborhoods in those towns that I should be wary of safety-wise or noise-wise? Any industrial concerns/health hazards (like mining etc.) And if there is good high speed internet to be had? Who is the best provider? I really don't want to live in the Phoenix area, done with big cities. I have been out to visit twice and really loved the north/central part of the state. I have of course been doing research and looking at property etc. online but it's always good to get advice from actual residents who've lived there a while. I appreciate any help you can give. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 05:05 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,640,765 times
I would check out Chino Valley, you mentioned horses. A lot of the homes in that area have acreage homes for the equestrian like minded fans.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:56 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,877,517 times
The look and feel of Wickenburg is going to change once I-11 is built. But that will probably be 10 years or so in the future. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the towns you mentioned. None have really bad areas (a la south Phoenix). I would avoid Wickenburg though myself but just because it really isn't that much cooler than Phoenix.

Last edited by HTY483; 08-11-2020 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:09 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
You might want to ask in the Prescott forum about internet service in Prescott, Prescott Valley or Chino Valley.

Old 08-13-2020, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,507 times
Yes I imagine Wickenburg isn't much cooler than Phoenix. I loved the town when I was visiting there- it's funny I've noticed when looking at homes online the ones in Wickenburg, though charming, tend NOT to have central AC! Don't think I could deal with that. Is that because there's more of a snowbird population that isn't there for the summer heat? I wonder

Old 08-13-2020, 07:45 PM

416 posts, read 536,723 times
Cottonwood, Cornville , Clarkdale or Camp Verde sound like a place to be with your interests. Wickenberg is great if you want the western feel. If there you can come up to Prescott the back way thru Yarnell.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:14 PM

558 posts, read 974,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You might want to ask in the Prescott forum about internet service in Prescott, Prescott Valley or Chino Valley.
In the Sparklight cable service area, you can get up to gigabit speeds.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:16 PM

558 posts, read 974,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I would check out Chino Valley, you mentioned horses. A lot of the homes in that area have acreage homes for the equestrian like minded fans.
And if you have more money to spend, the McRanches of Williamson Valley NW of Prescott and W of Chino Valley.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:59 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,802,666 times
We are recent arrivals and spent a lot of time researching the Prescott area......ended up just a few miles North of Chino Valley proper. Big horse/cowboy country, weather is much cooler than Wickenburg.

Biggest thing to check out is water! Parts of CV have water trucked in and wells failing, parts of Williamson Valley have poor wells with low pressure. Other areas nearby have endless supplies of water, it just depends which aquafier you draw from.....

Regarding the internet question, after a disastrous trial with another satellite provider we ended up very happy with Mile High Network.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,235,195 times
I live in Cottonwood and have lived in Sedona and love Prescott as well. Cottonwood is the warmest of the 3 and Prescott is the coldest of them. I would take Prescott over Prescott Valley anytime. Traffic is getting really bad in Sedona and I'd rather not live there anymore. I've been through Wikenburg a few times this past winter and it seems like a great place but again is smaller with a very western vibe.

Some pros to Prescott - great shopping and more activities along with a great vibe.
Some pros to Cottonwood - quieter, slower paced life with less traffic and warmer winters.

I have Sparklight for internet in Cottonwood and it is great (I work from home too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona