Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 23,174 times

Advertisements

My Partner, my daughter and I are relocating to Ann Arbor in May. She will be at UM Law. I've heard wonderful things about Ann Arbor, but I don't really know the area.
We have two yellow labs, and have found quite a few properties willing to rent to us with our dogs-My main concern is finding the right area. I see several townships (?)/areas around Ann Arbor/UM-just wondering which area of Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas are best?
I've heard from many to stay away from Ypsilanti. What about Pittsfield? I found a great condo-Legends Rosewood Village-but not sure if it's a good area, or too conservative, etc...We love what we've heard about AA's diversity and culture. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,866 times
Default Info

You will find it hard to locate a "bad" spot in A2, although some locations are populated with students more than others. The west side of town is a popular spot for grad students, further toward the highway(off of huron st.) there are lots of nice older homes, some for rent, mostly established couples in those neighborhoods. Actually many grad students at UM live in Ypsi, the west side of Ypsilanti is not much different than A2, many people refer to the east side of Ypsilanti when they say negative things about the city. North campus area has more homes for rent, but if your looking for a condo, cheap will be near Pittsfield as you mentioned, or near Ypsilanti, otherwise they will be quite expensive. Try looking near kerrytown, or just south of town off of Ann Arbor-Saline Road, unless you need to walk to school, otherwise I would suggest the west side of town where public trans is easy along with biking. Also, north of UM medical center there are some decent apts and some condos mixed in. You will find that the west side of town is most suited to a professional student, most of the undergrads congregate near South State street area and east. Well hope this helps...

G Luck

Old 03-16-2008, 07:59 AM

149 posts, read 454,406 times
Pittsfield isn't bad, but not the best part of town, especially for walking the lab. Its not that its dangerous (like Ypsi), but more that there aren't many connected subdivisions with sidewalks.
In my view, the best parts of town are along plymouth road (North campus), on the west side (west of Main East of Maple) and in the sqaure area formed by West of Platt, south of Washtenaw/Stadium, North of Packard and East of Packard (Check out a map and being both N and E of Packard will make sense).

Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 34,925 times
I live in Pittsfield and I love it. It really depends if you are living in one of the "neighborhoods" or a subdivision. I live a block west of Ann Arbor proper and my property taxes are significantly less in Pittsfield.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 33,542 times
Default a2 is a great place to live

ann arbor is lovely and dog friendly. not a big fan of ypsi. not sure what your looking for, but there are many nice areas in the suburbs of a2. saline is also nice. not alot downtown anymore it seems, as it has been taken over by rentals. but a2 is a great town. enjoy!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM

17 posts, read 159,534 times
Pittsfield is very nice and I think you would be happy there. Anywhere from Ann Arbor to Saline by way of Pittfield you won't find any bad areas. I live across the street form Rosewood Village and as someone said that sub may not be the best for walking your dogs, just across the street though there are a couple big subdivisions (warner creek and hidden creek) that would make a great place to walk the dogs. That is also very close, less than 5 min, away from two parks that have dog areas. I am very liberal and have found that I fit in nicely here.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times
I am considering renting an apartment from McKinley (mkinley.com) properties, one is in Ann Arbor (Traver Ridge) and the other is in Ypsi (Schooners Cove) does anyone have any opinions about these apartments/areas? Thanks!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,981,984 times
When I went to grad school in AA, I was a slightly older student (in my 30s) and I wanted an apartment that was not in a development. I ended up in an apartment in a house in the Old West Side right across the street from a magnet elementary school. The neighborhood was mostly single family homes and this is what I wanted. Now that I have children, if I were to go back to AA, I would want to live in the same neighborhood. It was a 15-20 minute walk to school (one of my housemates was a law student) or a 10 minute bike ride. On my street, most houses were built in the 1920s and 30s.

To give you an idea of where in AA Old West Side is, it is approximately bounded by S. Main street on the east, 7th street on the west, W. Stadium on the south, and either W. Liberty or W. Huron on the north. GREAT for dog walking. I lived on West Jefferson between 4th and 5th.

Good luck! I'm jealous -- I'd LOVE to live back in AA!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
If you do live in AA, I'd recommend you live within the freeway ring that surrounds the city. In my experience, there is a bit of a psychological and "closeness" difference if you live outside the beltway.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If you do live in AA, I'd recommend you live within the freeway ring that surrounds the city. In my experience, there is a bit of a psychological and "closeness" difference if you live outside the beltway.
Can you give me an idea what this is? I have never been to ann arbor so I dont know the area I should be looking in that is considered the freeway ring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor