Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 AM

17 posts, read 84,990 times

Advertisements

My parent's are planning on coming down to Albuquerque to retire. What's the absolute safest area for them to look for housing in? They are older, and I'm a little unsettled after hearing of the recent drive by shooting at the Embassy Suites last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM

362 posts, read 1,719,717 times
A gated compound in Placitas. I'm kidding, although Placitas is really pretty!

I don't mean to scare you but I moved into what was touted as one of the "safest" areas of ABQ (NE heights) and during that year had my car broken into and on a separate occasion had some lunatic attempt to break into my apt in the middle of the night. The reality is that crime can happen anywhere. Having a garage can help with the car break-ins. As for the lunatics, well, I have my own arsenal. When I called it in to 911 and told them I was armed, I think they were more concerned with me packing than the dude trying to get through the lock on my door.

I think the area along the foothills and north near Trader Joes would be pretty good. But hey, I have friends who live in the South Valley, and although it gets a bad rap regarding the crime rate, they've lived there for ages and never had a single problem. I would say there are some sketchy areas along parts of Central Ave, but the area of Central through Nob Hill is quite nice and a sought after locale.

I also met several retired couples who lived on the NW side in the new construction zone.

Would you and your parents have time to go out, stay a while, and explore the area a bit? That would help with determining your comfort level with the varying parts of town. And while there, ask restaurant and hotel workers what neighborhoods they live in, do they feel safe there, etc. Just extra info to add to what you get here.

Good Luck.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 AM

741 posts, read 1,380,118 times
Based on opinion and not statistics, there are a couple of areas that have impressed me as safe and pleasant. They are the neighborhoods of Cherry Hills and Peppertree; both are in the NE. They are areas of single family homes where people tend to know their neighbors and walk in their neighborhoods, both goods signs to me.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,976 times
I would agree with the comments already posted. I've lived east of Tramway and north of Montgomery for 20 years, and I feel quite safe in this neighborhood. The worst crime in my part of town seems to be the bored teenagers who bash mailboxes and car windows. You just don't leave your car on the street at night on our street...you'll lose your windows! Still, unless your parents are hermits, they will have to venture out and across town. In my 20 years, I narrowly escaped a carjacking (my car), and my wife was the victim of thugs who set up a car "accident" (her car), then tried to get loads of money out of our insurance company for injuries to people who weren't even there for this 5 mph "accident." I love a lot of things about Albuquerque. But...over time, if you get out and about, you just MAY cross paths with people you would never have wanted to cross paths with. There is a sizable gang culture here. IMO, bottom line is to choose the best neighborhood you can (definitely visit and look around), and be as street smart as you can be.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:24 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
simpsonsrule asks:

> My parent's are planning on coming down to Albuquerque to retire.

Why?

> What's the absolute safest area for them to look for housing in?

Why is this question being asked if the decision to retire here has already been made?

Why decide on a place if you don't know anything about it?

I'm boggled.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 PM

17 posts, read 84,990 times
I'll most likely be coming down for grad school, and while they haven't decided on Albuquerque, they want to be close.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,551 times
The Farther North and East you get, the safer you will most likely be. You can't get much safer than Tramway and Paseo (other than a Coyote eating your dogs if you don't take precautions). However, Albuquerque is far safer than this thread has lead on.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,717 times
Simpsonsrule, don't be scared off by Mortimer. We've come to love his crumudgeonness. ABQ is a great place. If grad school is pulling you there, go!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:07 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,084,695 times
I just asked. I thought it was a reasonable question.

Notice that I didn't ask about the fact that they might be retiring to a place that their sprog (simpsonsrule) might only be located in for a couple of years. I didn't ask about that ....

.... even though that boggles me also.

I'm somewhat easily boggled.

P.S. I also didn't mention search (this time). Yet.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
I would agree with the comments already posted. I've lived east of Tramway and north of Montgomery for 20 years, and I feel quite safe in this neighborhood. The worst crime in my part of town seems to be the bored teenagers who bash mailboxes and car windows. You just don't leave your car on the street at night on our street...you'll lose your windows!
Jeez! Based on this statement I would say that the Student Ghetto is a safer neighborhood than the far NE Heights. I've never seen or experienced such vandalism in 18 years.

I mean, I know it is just anecdotal but you can't even leave your car on the street up there? I'll take a tag on my back wall and refuse a panhandler a dollar anyday!

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque