Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 AM

329 posts, read 512,562 times

Advertisements

What areas of the metro ABQ area are new homes being built?

I'm assuming Rio Rancho is one area but how about the other areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
The Albuquerque Journal usually has a real estate paper on Saturday? (Maybe Sunday)...

They have an online section for Real Estate here: Home Style

We have some restrictions on real estate advertising, recommendations etc. Go to Google.com and enter: albuquerque new home construction

Old 07-08-2017, 01:42 PM

Never crossed my mind to google that. Thanks.

Are new homes A/C cooled usually or still using on swamp coolers?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,806,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
Never crossed my mind to google that. Thanks.

Are new homes A/C cooled usually or still using on swamp coolers?
All the new homes we have looked at were A/C cooled.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:24 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,631,714 times
New Homes are being built all over the city, in every quadrant. The majority, however, are to be found on the Westside around Ventana Ranch near Paseo and Universe, and around Mirehaven, off of Ladera between Unser and 98th St. The Southwest Mesa also has lots of active subdivisions near 98th and Gibson and Atrisco Heritage Academy High School.

Infill plots and subdivisions often come online in older and more established areas of the city. For instance, a new 60-lot gated subdivision was recently announced in the South Valley, off of Atrisco. There's another on Sunset near Central. In the Sawmill Area north of Old Town there is also a subdivision of 78 townhomes called Sawmill Crossing which is almost fully built out.

In the Heights, there is Santa Monica Place off of Paseo and Louisiana with a subdivision of over 100 lots. There are also a couple of infill townhome developments off of Montgomery near Tramway that I'm aware of. Volterra in the Southeast Heights is probably the busiest subdivision that's not on the Westside in Albuquerque. It has single family lots and townhouse developments.

Mesa del Sol is another area south of the airport off of University Boulevard. It's a New Urbanist community being built up around Albuquerque Studios. It offers both townhouses and single family homes.

Los Lunas is the next biggest and busiest suburb of Albuquerque after Rio Rancho for new home construction.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info ABQalex!

I work on base, so westside is out of the question.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,631,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
Thanks for the info ABQalex!

I work on base, so westside is out of the question.
You're Welcome!

If you work on base then Volterra is probably the best option. It's at the end of Juan Tabo about 1.5 miles east of the base and Sandia Labs and just beyond the Sandia Science & Technology Park. It's part of the Manzano Mesa area which is filled with newer developments and amenities like Costco, Home Depot, restaurants, etc. It has its own elementary school and a nice community center with a children's splash pad. The stores, restaurants, etc. are mostly along Eubank and Central. Juan Tabo is the next major street east of Eubank.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:07 AM

60 posts, read 78,204 times
Is it just me or do a lot of newer houses in ABQ play up on the "plain on the outside, gem on the inside" motif? I've been to numerous friends' homes in the ABQ area that looked sometimes downright ugly from outside and then when you get in, you see hardwood floors, great furniture and decorating layout.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrandeFeline View Post
Is it just me or do a lot of newer houses in ABQ play up on the "plain on the outside, gem on the inside" motif? I've been to numerous friends' homes in the ABQ area that looked sometimes downright ugly from outside and then when you get in, you see hardwood floors, great furniture and decorating layout.
I don't think it's just you.

An "under-siege" mentality that grips much of America is boosted by Albuquerque's current summer crime wave. Just like a millionaire might drive an old beater of a car so it doesn't get stolen, he might make his house look a little shabby to hide the opulence within.

The outside of the house is also less a point of pride in NM than just about anywhere. Going outdoors may be popular, but outdoors in your own front yard is uncommon- with everybody inwardly focused (on the house and on themselves) there's no reason to dude up your dwelling on the outside, with the exception of Halloween and Christmas.

With just about every new house built in 1960's-or-newer carcentric subdivisions, no one has time to look at your house as they're driving by, so adornment is a waste of time and money. If people were constantly walking by, it'd be different.

As a last point, NM's culture has always been rustic/shabby chic in terms of buildings. Cracked stucco and one overgrown but still threadbare tree is just what NM tends to look like.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,511,797 times
As a last point, NM's culture has always been rustic/shabby chic in terms of buildings. Cracked stucco and one overgrown but still threadbare tree is just what NM tends to look like.

Spot on - this pretty much exactly describes our Alamogordo rental house. We left in Feb. 2015. Scraggly housing look from the outside. Having said this - there are many good looking from the outside houses in Alamogordo, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque