Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM

17 posts, read 48,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2or3 View Post
I hear so many folks remarking about the brutal winters of upstate NY (I'm interested in learning more about the capital region and further north up to the Lake George area. NOT the western NY state regions). I have friends in Saratoga county that seem not to mind the snow and cold at all. Long island - Putnam and Dutches counties are fortunate in many ways regarding weather conditions but, just how different can climate conditions be as you travel further up the Northway?
Really snow isnt all that bad most years in the city of albany but it can get pretty hefty in the lake george area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
OrangeSunset

Good for you! I had 3 families living with us during the ice storm as they had no power for one week. Water pipes were breaking left & right, it was really bad

Thankfully we have full house generators up here!
That ice storm that was a bad one but I live in Colonie and didnt lose power.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2882 View Post
Im coming from Minneapolis, MN, where I think we have the coldest longest winter possible in the United States (most cities in Alaska included). It seems from what you are saying though, that Albany is about as bad, which scares me a bit (Im considering a move there, in part because the weather must be more mild!). We have days that don't touch 0F, definitely, but not usually more than a week of that, as the previous poster said of Albany. Eeesh. When does spring come? sooner at least?
Well the weather currently is only in the 70's. We just had our first severe T-storm in north albany county! we got hail which is uncommon!
But it does get pretty cold in the winter but you get used to it.
{the winters really are not as bad as they are telling you, as long as you live close to the city!}

Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 AM

136 posts, read 378,866 times
and don't forget that the summers up there are tough too, bugs in warren county will eat you alive if you go out without bug spray and its as rural as can be up there so you will definitely be out of traffic. once i said i would visit a friend up there to go swimming in his pool in may and he said don't bother it will still be snowing.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
and don't forget that the summers up there are tough too, bugs in warren county will eat you alive if you go out without bug spray and its as rural as can be up there so you will definitely be out of traffic. once i said i would visit a friend up there to go swimming in his pool in may and he said don't bother it will still be snowing.
The bugs are everywhere! The south has skeeters that could eat your small pet! HA!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:31 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,340 times
I get teased a lot from my friends who are life-long upstate New Yorkers.
I grew up in Colorado & whenever this topic comes up, I find myself saying about CO, "yes, but it's a dry winter".

Believe me, the humidity here makes a HUGE difference; as much in the winter as it does in the summer. I swear the winter winds here are like invisible
snakes; they wind their way into all those layers of clothing we wear. Damp, cold, brrr.

I suppose it's depends on your own tolerance level - I used to love winter. Now? December 21st to December 31st would suit me just fine.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM

605 posts, read 2,159,890 times
I lived in Saratoga for 3-1/2 winters. As a Mid-Atlantic native, it was a shock to the system, but there are certainly areas of the country that get worse winters. And, yes, moving just a couple of hours up the Northway can make a very big difference.

The snow starts in late October and can continue into mid April, depending on the year. From January through March, it is not uncommon to see the ground covered in snow most/all days. The worst I every personally endured was the winter of 2002-2003. We had over 100 inches of snow accumulation and there were a number of days (20?) in Jan. when the daytime high never broke the freezing mark. In 2001 (I think) there was a blizzard so bad that Skidmore College closed for snow days for the first time in two decades and the CT governor closed the highway system. This is, however, somewhat unusual for a single weather event.

For me the hardest part was the lack of daylight. The Albany Capital District lies right where the jet stream tends to swing. Because of this, is is often under fronts and cloudy, even when there isn't precipitation. Add to this December darkness falling around 4:30, and it can get depressing to some people who need sun.

Also, though the roads were most often clear and very safe to drive, operating a car in winter is still unpleasant. Doors freezing shut, locks iciing, and batteries dying are not uncommon. By February, chipping ice of your windshield weekly (if not daily) can get old. A remote car started is well worth the investment!

If you do find the winter hard to take, summer can also be slow to come. As I mentioned above, snowfall goes late into the season, which is then followed by an extensive muddy cool season. There are years when reliable short-sleeve weather doesn't arrive until mid June.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM

69 posts, read 191,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2or3 View Post
I hear so many folks remarking about the brutal winters of upstate NY (I'm interested in learning more about the capital region and further north up to the Lake George area. NOT the western NY state regions). I have friends in Saratoga county that seem not to mind the snow and cold at all. Long island - Putnam and Dutches counties are fortunate in many ways regarding weather conditions but, just how different can climate conditions be as you travel further up the Northway?
BAD !!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM

283 posts, read 652,550 times
Thirty years ago I lived in Kingston New York. I lost my job and had an interview in Virginia. It was December and we drove to Albany to catch a plane to Richmond. At the airport, it was 20 degrees and the wind was blowing about 40 miles an hour and there was a freezing rain. When we landed in Richmond, the temperature was 65 degrees, it was sunny and most people were wearing short sleeve shirts. I have had my ups and downs in Virginia, but I never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area