Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times

Advertisements

Well, my hubby just got orders to JBER? Elmendorf AFB i guess? I'm so excited!!! I've never seen snow before. i've been looking on the internet at it and i have a bunch of questions. My husbands buddies were over tonight and a couple of them have been up there before. They were sayin we'd have to get our cars coolant changed out for antifreeze or something and everything is real dear up there. They also said we'd have to plug them in during winter time. Can we buy the plugs down here for cheaper? I've never heard of such a thing. Can we do that down here before we come up in June? Or will it mess the cars up? We're down in Florida for about the last year, we got married when I met him at his technical school outside San Antoinio, he's a Airforce cop now. They also said if we drive up, we need to buy a special glass protectant film for the windshields, or rocks would bust them up. They said to buy those in the states cause the Canadians will rip us off if we wait to late. Is that true? I can't find them online. I been aiming at living in Eagle River cause they said Anchorage is a getto, but whew! Eagle River is real prideful! Is it really that much better? My hub is an E-2, we'd like to rent a small house or a big townhouse, I'm sick of "ghosting" in his dormroom at MacDill. Is it really cold there? I have a pair of Ugg's but I've never worn them. Do you think I could work up there? I can take in wash and cook some (I worked at Sonic for a year). I'm looking at getting my GDE next year. I'm just so excited! I've never left the country before! Please help! Thanks ya'll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,723,419 times
Your best bet for the money is to try to get on-base housing.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,941,908 times
Since your friends don't seem to know what they are talking about, I will try to answer your questions:

You won't need any windshield protection for coming up the Alcan, and I've never seen any Canadian places that even sell them. You do rarely see vehicles with (custom) windshield guards, but only the ones that "live" on the Alcan and they are usually speeding.

Don't worry about plugging your car in. You're not going to Fairbanks.

Anchorage is not a ghetto. Like every other city it does have places that are more desireable to live than others.

Most likely, your car already has a 50/50 ratio of antifreeze in it. You'll want to get this checked (probably just better to do a flush anyway unless you've done it in the last 24 months). Contrary to popular belief, any mixture of more than 60% antifreeze will make things worse. Pure antifreeze is ethylene glycol and it freezes at 8 degrees. It is by mixing it with water that makes it "work". Since you are coming up in June, you can wait until you get here to deal with it.

Don't Fill Her Up with Antifreeze, Alaska Science Forum

Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 PM

20,313 posts, read 37,281,767 times
I will add that renting a house, or a big townhouse will be quite expensive. Yes, once married you can live in military housing at Elmendorf. If they don't have a house for you to live at on base, then the AF will provide you with a housing allowance that should be enough for renting an apartment in Anchorage, or maybe Eagle River. But living at Eagle River means that you will have to travel longer distances to Elmendorf. You still can get your car winterized at the gas station in Elmendorf, or just at one of the local shops in Anchorage. It costs from $200. to $300.00 for most vehicles.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,631,624 times
A lot of your questions have been asked and answered in other threads on this forum. Take some time and read through them. You've got some time to gather the necessary information to help make your move as smooth as possible.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,206,848 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer - ExploreNorth

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,245,531 times
Living on base or in Eagle River is your best bet. Cost of living is higher, but throwing out sales tax (about 6% in FL currently) evens it out a little. Gas prices are going to be higher, currently about $.60 more a gallon. The Alcan is not that bad a road, but winter's leftovers, otherwise known as frost heaves, can come as a surprise. The water under the road bed expands as it becomes ice in winter, and settles in spring and summer, causing rises and falls in the road. Take it easy. Do what you have to, but remember that normally in winter, Anchorage is usually warmer than northern MN or ND. We do get more snow. Take a deep breath, and get in gear. Above all, have fun. Most people save for a lifetime for a trip to Alaska, and you get one free, courtesy of your benificent, kindly Uncle Samuel.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,724,281 times
Excellent advice and I agree it seems as though your boyfriend's friends were mostly trying to scare you.
Since you are coming up in June, I'd wait to do all the winterizing when you are here. It's much easier to get it done when people actually know what they are doing. Things might be cheaper in the lower 48 but it's NOT cheaper when you have to do it twice.
There is a decent military wives forum at Cafe Mom. Alaska Military Wives Group - CafeMom that might be of help too.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,723,419 times
I'd add my daughter and her husband lived in Eagle River when they first got transfered. After 6 months they got into on-base housing. They both said they'd wish they did that from the start. Saved them lots of money and close to everything.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 PM

437 posts, read 818,168 times
One more point, you are not leaving the country. Alaska is part of the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinitaswell View Post
I'm just so excited! I've never left the country before! Please help! Thanks ya'll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska