Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM

28 posts, read 68,489 times

Advertisements

i don't think any of the responses have come from anyone who lives in or near Union Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:54 AM

468 posts, read 791,230 times
KarenMaria,

Check out this website:

St. Pius X - Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Eufaula

Union Springs does have a Catholic Church, St. Pius X which is apparently a mission of Holy Redeemer in Eufaula. There is a Hispanic community, 17 percent of the population according to the 2010 census. My guess is that some of them work at the Bonnie Plant Farm.

Union Springs city, Alabama Census 2010 Results — Population

Bonnie Plants - Garden Plants for Your Vegetable Garden or Herb Garden

And Union Springs is park of Alabama's "Black Belt", so named because of the color of its topsoil and the fact that much of Alabama's black population is centered in this region, descended from slaves and laborers who worked on cotton plantations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_B...ion_of_Alabama)

I am a white Catholic who votes Republican. I live in the Mississippi Delta, which is majority black, Protestant and votes mostly Democratic. Except for the color of our soil and the fact that most settlement didn't occur until after the Civil War and the abolition of slavery, our history is very similar to that of Alabama's Black Belt. Our representative in Washington is black. There has been a longtime but small Catholic presence in this area, mostly descended from Italian immigrants.
I do not feel oppressed because of my race, religion, or politics. My guess is that Union Springs is very much like communities in the Mississippi Delta
You shouldn't assume you would feel oppressed if you chose to live in Union Springs. I wish you well.

God bless,

CKB

Last edited by Chris Balducci; 04-28-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Thank you, Chris. You are too kind. I have a 16 yr old daughter that I have to consider when moving to other places. I like where we live now (Brandon/reservoir area/Lakeland Dr) and the high school kids of another color are mean, bossy, hateful, and threatening. Not all, of course, but enough to daily cause problems. Just this past Thursday in my daughter's class, a girl of another race threatened a kid of our race---said she would kill her. She was probably just mouthing off, which is mostly what goes on to intimidate the white kids, but she was suspended and carted off by the police. It is always the black kids pushing, shoving, and threatening the white kids in the hallways, the classrooms, the cafeteria. And our town is 76% white. But I don't know the % of different races at the high school. I'd hate to throw my child into a big racial mess at a high school of another town we move to, especially when the black population is 76%. I came from Jackson, I know about racial hatred and don't want to be a part of it. I have 2 black families on my street, which only has 9 houses on it, and they will tell you in a heart beat that they live in this predominately white neighborhood because they don't want to live in a black neighborhood. Folks are crazy and mean!!!! You gotta look out for yourself and not place yourself where it is not safe or where you are not wanted. Folks of like races tend to stick to their kind in some places.
I did find a site where I was able to see a little bit of what is going on to bring some life back into Union Springs. It was a realtor's site, Joyce Perrin, Promiseland, or something like that. It gave me a small peak into the small town. I do need to drive over for a visit.
Again, thank you for your kindness. I love Ms, I wish I could find a historic house here that I am crazy about. I like the Delta, too. (i gotta go or i'd chat for a few more minutes.)

Old 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM

*peek*

Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM

300 posts, read 609,574 times
There are Black conservative Catholics, too. Seems to be more in the Deep South compared to what I saw in VA.

I'm just saying...

I hope you found a good place to move by now.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM

231 posts, read 597,884 times
Default white conservative vs. black baptist democratic town

May I suggest that you seriously consider Cullman-great town.-

Old 09-23-2013, 12:14 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,489,029 times
The thread is more than a year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama