Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,994 times

Advertisements

No need for everyone to get bent out of shape, jertheber just stated that rural areas have been home to a criminal class of people for some time; not that everybody in rural areas was part of a criminal class of people.

I have to agree, I've noticed the same thing in rural areas. Indian reservations, as said already, are particularly bad. Google "Pine Ridge" in South Dakota.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
No need for everyone to get bent out of shape, jertheber just stated that rural areas have been home to a criminal class of people for some time; not that everybody in rural areas was part of a criminal class of people.

I have to agree, I've noticed the same thing in rural areas. Indian reservations, as said already, are particularly bad. Google "Pine Ridge" in South Dakota.
It's strange, because the reservation near my town doesn't have that crime problem. It's mostly the black areas here where the crime happens (sorry, just saying it like it is).

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,195,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's strange, because the reservation near my town doesn't have that crime problem. It's mostly the black areas here where the crime happens (sorry, just saying it like it is).
The rez's I've lived on had some crime problem, but most, not all, was the type that is basically self-destructive...or I guess to be more exact, driven by self-destructive actions that can still harm others.

DUI, domestic disturbance, DUI, some petty theft because of really chronic unemployment, suicides and attempted suicide (yes, it's a crime), etc. Did I say DUI? Some real sad situations.

Nidex, I'm not bent out of shape, just havin' some fun (and if you'll note, I agreed to a large degree on the poverty part)...I wasn't a criminal today, but after work today, feel kinda downtrodden. Maybe I'll be the downtrodder tomorrow.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,461 times
Angry What?

Hello I normally do not respond to stereotypes but I felt compelled to comment to your post. I live in Goodwater Alabama and for you to say that I am like the people in the movies OMG give me a break! The people that are from here are good people that will do anything for anyone even you!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM

231 posts, read 595,927 times
Default I recently drove through a scary rural area

Alabama, the South and particularly the area you mention is far from what it once was and the change has not been for the best. I'm originally from Alabama, still am in contact with a number of people who live there and am familiar with the area in question. Your instincts were correct. Always trust them in the matter of personal safety--when the hair stands up on the back of your neck it's time to move on[without delay]. A woman travelling alone could be at risk in that area. Best to avoid the entire Black Belt area. Anywhere south of the Bibb/Perry County line and west of I-65 is questionable for a woman travelling alone. I haven,t been in the southeast area in a long time.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,649,903 times
Anywhere west of I-65? Are you serious?

Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,195,601 times
Yes. Absolutely. Avoid the entire area if possible. Run as fast as you can. I fact, don't even look directly at the area. There are no women in the area at all because it so unsafe for them...little known fact.

Wow...just...wow.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,435,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
I haven,t been in the southeast area in a long time.
I think this is your key phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama