View Single Post

Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 AM
RD5050

5,319 posts, read 9,035,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Seems you have whittled down your argument to data coming from an outside source, but that's really not what we're talking about here. Even so, if the proper data integrity restraints are in place and the data is actually validated as it comes through, it would never enter the database in the first place. So then we are back to good planning and design.
In a large-scale system, data often comes from multiple sources. I am simply accounting for every possible scenario - both good and bad.

Nobody ever said that good planning and design aren't needed. However they are only a part of what is required. There is still a possibility of problem data coming in.

Here is an actual example:

Two different data entry people key in data for a stimulus recipient:

One keys: First Federal Savings and Loan - Amt Received 15 million - address 123 Main St., Suite 100 NY, NY 12345

Other keys: First Federal Svgs - Amt Received 10 million - address 123 Main St. #100, NY, NY 12345

Both pass program validations, and get entered into the database. The two entries generate two different recipient ID numbers (the primary key), and so they are treated as two separate companies.

This is where data cleansing comes in. Data cleansing has the ability to determine that the above two companies actually represent the exact same company, and it will merge the two into a single company on the database, and then reassign all related transactional (monetary) records under the one primary key.

Data Cleansing is a VERY common utility used by lots of well known companies that have data warehouses.

Quote:
There is no way he is "in the loop" on the myriad of issues and details having to do with a project of this size. Beside the fact he has no expertise in the area. Again, the taxpayer is the client (paying for it) and the end-user (using it) - obama is doing neither of those things.
Considering that Obama is a technology geek, there is no way he is NOT in the loop at some high level. I am certain he would not be dealing with low level minor issues at a data level (which would be ridiculous for a POTUS to be involved in), but he likely is being kept updated on the status of this project (meeting major milestones), and likely will be checking the website himself.

And if you think the taxpayer is also the client, then explain this:

Assume a man hires a lawyer to represent him in a legal issue, and the man signs all the contracts.

Then when it comes time to paying the lawyer, the man's rich aunt foots the entire bill.

Does this mean the rich aunt is the "client" ?

You really need to get a better handle on the definition of the word "client", as I previously posted it.

Quote:
So then I guess they could do the same with USAspending.gov and not waste anymore of the taxpayers money - which is really the point of this thread.
USAspending.gov does not meet all of the requirements of the project. If you read the requirements document, you would know this.

Quote:
Aren't you the one that said you had no need to read anything pertaining to this project?
In the beginning ... no it wasn't required .... and my knowledge of data processing was enough .... but once we began to discuss things at a detail level, then it becomes necessary.