View Single Post

Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Cambium

83,822 posts, read 76,687,438 times
December 17-18, 2017. Trip to Southern Vermont. Posting only 27 of the 250+ images I took. Not bad. lol

1st... My route going there in blue (more boring) and coming back in yellow (more interesting)

9am. Passing through Hartford.. 25°F(-4C). River starting to partially freeze in spots.

10am. Passing though northern Massachusetts. 21°F(-6C). Huge difference already with snowpack..

11am. Welcome to Vermont. 18°F (-8C)

Ate lunch here on Route 9 in West Brattleboro. Air crisp, scene snowy. Rivers and Lakes all frozen over with snow on it. Was only 3 hrs away from home..

Mmmm, Sugar, Syrup and Snow.

I'm used to seeing "Warning" signs for Bears only in parks, but cool to see Bear Crossing signs.

Did a Horse and Sleigh ride through a farm and woods for an hour.

Temp was 15°(-9C) with little wind at this time, (was 1°F(-17C) few hours earlier).

They gave us blankets. Everyone was layered up. I was enjoying every minute of it. Didn't bother me and few on the sled. Wasn't that bad.

We stopped at a cabin along the way.

I forgot the mountain in the backdrop, Nei might know. Mount Snow?

Note the skies.. Was an awesome day with a warm front approaching...Kinda felt weird being in the teens with a warm front coming.

Inside the cabin they had hot chocolate ready for us and a warm room being heated with a wood stove. Note the temp inside. I started sweating.

Note the skies on the way back.. was just 30 minutes after.. Clouds moving in. Still just 17°F (-8C) at 2:30pm. Felt great.

Lots of Icicles around. A lot of homes had ladders on them ready to rake the snow off roof which I noticed were angled more often than back home.

Spoiler

Inside hotel.. Of course...weather.. I never saw Matt Noyes on tv. Cool. Funny how they had NBC Boston on there. 30s back home, yuck.

Spoiler

Had snowed lightly overnight with a dusting..

Next day heading to Manchester, VT 45 min Northwest of Brattleboro.. snow showers were possible and I was heading into the Green Mountains.

Passed through small towns, almost forgot to slow down through each one.

These covered bridges seem common in Massachusetts and Vermont. I forget why or maybe its just part of history.

Cool supports for the Bridge! River frozen below.

Love the Green road signs.

Ummm, wha?

What the heck? Is this legal? Lots of CO2 going into the air.

President Lincolns Family Home Museum. Wont bore you with inside pics although pretty interesting! Was starting to snow. They only called for an inch around here but I know mountain weather can be surprising.

After 30 minutes was coming down harder.. Visibility dropping. Love this weather and the entire Manchester area! Elevation was only 1000' I believe here.

They didn't mind.. Jogging in the snow. Love the locals around, they seemed very cool and friendly.

One more from Manchester

Quote:

On Route 7 still which goes all the way down to southern CT, wonder if it looked like this back home. lol

Was checking radar all morning I knew would clear up as I headed south but I didn't expect this just 40 minutes away! Elevation was about 600' here in Bennington, Vermont. Interesting!

After passing through Bennington just 15 minutes away it looked like this.

Had some cool views along the way back on Route 7 and Route 20. This might of been in MA.

And I'm back...

Last edited by Cambium; 12-19-2017 at 09:15 AM..