View Single Post

Old 06-13-2017, 01:35 AM
mkpunk

38,922 posts, read 24,194,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I just don’t see that. And I say that as someone who absolutely loved the first two Cap films. They still number among my favorite of the super hero genre.
Fair enough but it was far too on the nose with me. They may have similar origins in the sense of early storylines. Not that most characters didn't fight Nazis by that point. I think even Batman did from time to time.

Quote:
But both Captain America and Wonder Woman have their origins in WWII comics. If they were ripping each other off, that deed was done 70+ years ago. If anything, I salute WW’s attempt to distance itself from that by moving back to WWI. That was meant to be the “war to end all wars,” which is WW’s essential calling.
They did as I stated before but the problem I find is that the look and the beats of the World War 1 Wonder Woman was far too close to home to WW2 Captain America: The First Avenger

Quote:
And I must admit, as a man with an unblemished record of male heterosexuality, I’d much rather watch Gal Gadot in a silly costume than Chris Evans. The fact that Gadot absolutely nailed the part just makes it all the better.
Gal was not the problem with the film, it mainly was the stupid writing that tried to push Wonder Woman into a First Avenger spec script.

Quote:
Yup. And I know that Drama demands a final confrontation between protagonist and antagonist. I’m just getting tired of it always being Good Guy punches Bad Guy till Bad Guy falls down.
Yeah that was partially why The Winter Soldier, Civil War, Doctor Strangge and Guardians of the Galaxy (both) were all great.

Quote:
Cap and WW are VERY different characters.

Cap always had a hero’s heart, but he was stuck in a weakling’s body until the super soldier serum. Only after could he finally achieve what he always wanted. At least in the first movie, he was never out to bring peace, but to win war. The good guys were Good and the bad guys were Bad. Only in the second movie did he begin to realize that the world is far more complicated than that.

WW was born a hero, and she never doubts who she is. She knows who she is and what she must do. WW’s struggle is not to answer, “Am I worthy to save the world?” She knows she is. The problem she has to overcome is: “Is the world worth saving?”
This was where I did like Wonder Woman, and what Gal was able to do, but the movie was to me, far too derivative of First Avenger.

Quote:
Agreed. Ares should have been excised from this story --- or at least given some nuance. I still don’t think the central premise of the plot’s conflict made a whit of sense. But I confess that any time Diana smiled or kicked ass, I didn’t really care.
Ares was developed more than he had any business being. He should have entirely been on the sidelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
You know what, at least here it made sense.

Why would a guy who IS A LIVING PLANET reduce himself to a stupid humanoid extension of himself in order to engage in a melee with another guy who chooses to transform himself into...Pac-Man?!

Ego could have clenched down (like pinching a loaf) and killed everything in his "gut," so to speak, before they had time to realize what he was up to and mounted their ships and gotten out of there. Some of the dumbest writing ever in a CBM. Got any tape!

I await your dissertation.
They still needed to blow up EGO. EGO turned himself human only as a part of his plan to create other EGOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is your Go-To Defense for every DC deficiency: "Oh yeah? Well, Marvel ... !"
Because Marvel hate. I see it on Facebook groups all the time.

Quote:
GotGV2 was a big, dumb movie. It aspired to big dumbness and succeeded. Fun? Sure. But silly through and through. Remember: this is a universe in which Howard the Duck gets cameos.
Guardians is the kooky side of Marvel. I mean yes Iron Man jokes, Scarlet Witch does memes and we have Spider-Man be Spider-Man but Guardians has the weirder aspects of Marvel in it. Weird being Russian dog astronauts, sentient planets, talking humanoid ducks, etc. I honestly thought that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was better than the first and showed a lot in it but didn't do say Iron Man 2 disjustice of moving the Guardians along to where they need to be in Guardians vol. 3.

Quote:
Wonder Woman aspired to epic heroism, and up until the final fight it succeeded admirably. I'm not for a minute suggesting WW was a bad movie. It was a great movie. I can't wait to see it again. (I can't say the same about GotGV2.) But it was not a flawless movie, and its chief villain was one of the biggest flaws. WW deserved better than a super-powered Snidely Whiplash.
I think it wasn't Snidley Whiplash enough even though Ares isn't that. Ares should have been Thanos, not Red Skull.