View Single Post

Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 AM
mkpunk

38,922 posts, read 24,194,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There's exaggeration, and then there's your allegation of plagiarism.
I was saying that it damn near was plagiarism. I write a story like that in "creative writing class" I would likely set off plagiarism censors. Then I guess based off this I can say "well I added a sword and gender-swapped the romantic leads" and get away with this. Again, this isn't a complaint just because it is DC. I'd honestly ugh if Marvel announces a Hyperion movie. Hyperion being the Marvel Superman (almost to an embarrassing level.) The main difference, the earliest version was a villain (think Red-Son Superman.)

Quote:
Wonder Woman made her first appearance in 1941. She predates all the Marvel characters in circulation right now, except Captain America (by eight months). Back then, Superman's and Cap's books were already dealing with WWII themes. Most of the regularly appearing comics were.
Yep, most did reflect World War II but to show Wonder Woman post-dated Capt with similar powers (basically peak-level rather than truly superhuman) is a copy though more original than the 100 Superman clones we saw (Captain Marvel/Shazam?)

Quote:
For Jenkins' Wonder Woman movie, the setting was moved to to WWI (the "first truly mechanized war"), and not simply to avoid comparisons to Captain America. It's the perfect setting for juxtaposing the evils conjured by the wills of men and Diana's naiveté and straight arrow-nature.
Fair point, but Capt still did the super-hero war movie first. I'm honestly surprised I'm the only one who has that opinion.

Quote:
By the end of Wonder Woman, Diana is no longer the same person. The same thing happens to every other character during their origin story, from Batman to Superman to Captain America to Iron Man. (The hero's journey may be old, but it never gets old.)
I can see that but neither was Rogers. He went from a scrawny kid who wouldn't give up and needed to be bailed out by Bucky to a hero and a leader whom Bucky followed to death. Rogers dealt with grief.
Spoiler
To be fair Diana did too and both scenes were powerful in their own right.

Quote:
Wonder Woman follows a three-act structure, as those other movies do, but I don't think it follows the same beats. She grows up emulating the Amazons' fighting routines and eventually trains under the aegis of Antiope. Diana isn't banished from Themyscira, she leaves willfully — not with the complete support of her mother, though. But Hippolyta knows what Diana must eventually do, as much as she tried to keep her from destiny. Diana goes to find "The War to End All Wars" not because she is a prideful warrior in search of conquest, but because she believes Ares' defeat will undo war and restore peace.
Eh, sure. The issue is the end results are nearly exactly the same. That's why I commented that the beats are the same. Like a total paint-by-numbers. For what everyone can say about Batman v. Superman in negatives, it wasn't paint-by-numbers in the least. Part of the reason that is my favorite of the DC films.
Rogers was indeed bullied but he wanted to do something like Diana did, once she knew of the conflict. Rogers knew of it because it is I think 1943/4, the U.S. was in war for two year by that point.
Diana wanted to be a part of the War just as Rogers did. Both were forbidden. Hippolyta didn't want Diana to enter like a worried mother (especially after seeing the weapons that killed her sister.) Rogers wasn't because of his physical stature.
Rogers like Diana was not a prideful warrior, he wanted to do what he needed to do. Diana did that too. Before Rogers got the serum, he was NOT a warrior at all.
Despite no Ares, Rogers wanted peace (this continues on through most of the films with him in it.)

Quote:
Contrast that with the pompous jackass who is Thor, who is banished from Asgard and forced to chew dirt as an ordinary Terran that S.H.I.E.L.D. deems an alien threat, until he reacquaints himself with humility (Diana never has to), and Steve Rogers, who submits to the Super Soldier program after coming up short in every way as a conscript (and before that, being bullied continuously thanks to his diminutive frame).

Diana entertains herself in London as much as she entertains we the audience. She gets into much more than Thor does in a sleepy little desert town, wondering how he can get Mjolnir to respond to him again (because he's that arrogant), what no-goodness Loki's up to in his absence.
For your Thor comments, I wasn't even comparing Odinson and Diana at all. There was not enough of a plot on Themyscira after that to get a Thor comparison from me. The only comparison, Patty Jenkins was set to do Thor: The Dark World before leaving that. By seeing what she did, I think she could have made that a pretty good film at least. What I didn't like in the movie, wasn't Jenkins.

Quote:
Diana also sees the war's effects on the down-trodden firsthand. Rogers never does, because first he comes back to the States, then goes back to take on the Red Skull.
That's the one bad thing about Captain America: The First Avenger, once Steve gets his Howling Comandos the action scenes minus the train were glossed over and you weren't allowed to see a war torn village, unlike Civil War in that Crossbones scene.

Quote:
I'll concur there were a few scenes that were a bit dark, but I liked Wonder Woman's cinematography a whole lot more than Guardians 2. Wonder Woman was the proverbial a tonic after floating through that cotton candy tunnel that tried to pass itself off as space opera.
Eh, I don't mind the colors in Guardians. After reading Marvel cosmic comics Korvac Saga, Thanos Quest and Infinity Guantlet, the colorization is fairly normal to this aspect of Marvel. Also, it fits with Doctor Strange too.

Quote:
Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger hardly invented the fish-out-of-water theme. Wonder Woman executed that theme much better than either of those films.
Capt was a lot of things, a fish out of water, it was not. Thor or Winter Solider, you can make a better case on. I admit Wonder Woman handled a lot of things great but I saw through a lot of this due to the many similarities I mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
Spoiler
Also: Unless you read a spoiler-rich article/review, you didn't know who Ares really was until he revealed himself. Most people thought it was Ludendorff (Danny Huston).
Spoiler
I admit I was caught off-guard there but that didn't save it for me. I was lost because I was rolling my eyes at the copy-paste of First Avenger I saw.

Quote:
So what was copy-pasted?
I covered a few more of them here but most of my other stuff wasn't even covered my initial review post...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/48382540-post227.html