View Single Post

Old 02-13-2017, 03:40 AM
rakovskii

128 posts, read 120,301 times
As a matter of scientific analysis of basic linguistics, the theory that each letter is individually a building block of Hebrew language words' meanings turns out to me like pseudoscience after I've researched the claim.

As a matter of Jewish mysticism, I do see how an approach can be made using each letter's meaning to decipher words. (Pei)
One weakness is that I only happen to know two instances of this.

Regarding the name YHWH, it's true that back in 1300 BC and earlier, when the Torah was first written and YAHWEH as a deity was by name first recognized, the Hebrews were living in close contact with Egyptians and Babylonians who used pictoral writing systems, where a picture could sometimes express a whole idea or multiple syllables. So they could have deciphered YHWH in that way. But this feels speculative. There is also no clear example in Torah where YHWH is even hinted at being deliberately deciphered that way.

The decipherment with YHWH would be: Arm/Hand, Behold, Nail/Hook, Behold.
The decipherment of Y and W as Arm and Nail are well known (eg. Jewish Encyclopedia), whereas the letter Heh's decipherment as behold can be checked in Gen 47:23; Ezekiel 16:43; Daniel 2:43.

Actually finding that decipherment in the Torah looks hard, the reason being that "nails" are a rarely used concept there.

It shows up in the description of YHWH's dwelling place, the Tabernacle, since nails were used to build it.
Exodus has many verses talking about the pegs (waw) used in the tabernacle's construction. (Strong's Hebrew: 2053. ?????? (vav) -- a hook, pin, peg)
I find it hard to relate that to the crucifixion. Just because the Temple where Yahweh dwelt was built with nails doesn't hint that somebody is going to be physically nailed to something as far as I can tell.

Ecclesiastes 12 has a curious saying about nails (masmerah):
Quote:
11. The words of the wise [are] as goads, and as nails fastened [by] the masters of assemblies, [which] are given from one shepherd.
God can be the shepherd who gives the words ("nails") that are fastened in place, and giving can be by the hand.
By there is no reference to "beholding."

Chronicles talks about building the Temple with nails(masmer). Jeremiah 10 criticizes foreign nations for building idols, which they create with hammers and nails:
Spoiler
For the practices of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.

They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.

Isaiah 41 has a curious reference saying "'It [is] ready for the sodering': and he fastened it with nails"(masmer):
Quote:
1. Keep silence before me, O islands; and let the people renew [their] strength: let them come near; then let them speak: let us come near together to judgment.

2. Who raised up the righteous [man] from the east, called him to his foot, gave the nations before him, and made [him] rule over kings? he gave [them] as the dust to his sword, [and] as driven stubble to his bow.

3. He pursued them, [and] passed safely; [even] by the way [that] he had not gone with his feet.

4. Who hath wrought and done [it], calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I [am] he.

5. The isles saw [it], and feared; the ends of the earth were afraid, drew near, and came.

6. They helped every one his neighbour; and [every one] said to his brother, Be of good courage.

7. So the carpenter encouraged the goldsmith, [and] he that smootheth [with] the hammer him that smote the anvil, saying, It [is] ready for the sodering: and he fastened it with nails, [that] it should not be moved.
The last line in Hebrew is:
וַיְחַזֵּק חָרָשׁ אֶת צֹרֵף מַחֲלִיק פַּטִּישׁ אֶת הוֹלֶם פָּעַם אֹמֵר לַדֶּבֶק טוֹב הוּא וַיְחַזְּקֵהוּ בְמַסְמְרִים לֹא יִמּוֹט:
Rashi says that this is about making an idol:
Quote:
and he strengthened it: The idol.
with nails that it should not move: All of them will strengthen each other.
The Christian writer Ephrem the Syrian agrees that it's about an idol.
Lopuhin notes that there is a modern scholarly theory that v. 7 in this chapter actually belongs in chapter 49, which is talking about idols, because he thinks that chapter 41 is generally talking positively about the gentiles, which wouldn't normally apply to idolatry.

Now, I am open to seeing in this passage a reference to Messiah, because the isles are referenced in the previous chapter 40, which Maimonides says is about Messiah. The righteous man could be Messiah who rules over kings, and the mention about passing by a way he didn't go by feet sounds curious, and the ends of the earth coming to someone does sound Messianic too. So I am open to seeing this as a Messianic reference to fastening Messiah with nails or talking about Messiah in a way gentiles would talk about their idol.

In v. 8, Isaiah switches to talking about Israel/Jacob and about God's right hand. But vv. 1-7 don't mention God's hand, so it's hard to see that as a direct reference to this decipherment of YHWH.

Isaiah 22 talks about fastening a court official in Jerusalem like a nail, but it's hard to make sense of that as related to YHWH.

In Judges 16, Samson's hair is fastened with a peg.

Judges 4-5 have a curious story where a lady kills someone by driving a nail through his temples using a hammer. Maybe Psalm 40:6-7 is referencing that obliquely where it says that God gouged (karah) him ears. But again, it's hard to make sense of that as it doesn't mention arm or behold.

Jeremiah 17:1 talks about an iron stylus for writing ("The sin of Judah is written down with an iron stylus; With a diamond point it is engraved upon the tablet of their heart And on the horns of their altars,"), and some other Tanakh verses talk about an iron stylus too (eg. Job 19:24), but it's hard to see in those verses a clear connection to YHWH, arm, and behold.

Deuteronomy 23:13 does talk about putting a nail on a weapon and gives that as instructions for the Israelites' soldiers:
Quote:
And you shall keep a stake in addition to your weapons; and it shall be, when you sit down outside [to relieve yourself], you shall dig with it, and you shall return and cover your excrement.

ידוְיָתֵד תִּהְיֶה לְךָ עַל אֲזֵנֶךָ וְהָיָה בְּשִׁבְתְּךָ חוּץ וְחָפַרְתָּה בָהּ וְשַׁבְתָּ וְכִסִּיתָ אֶת צֵאָתֶךָ:
I guess someone can relate that to Judges 4-5 and Psalm 40 because Deuteronomy 23 talks about using nails to dig and as a weapon, and Judges talks about using nail attacks to the temples. The unclean excrement can be compared metaphorically to unclean sins, with covering the sins being a metaphor for atonement, where sins were "covered" by sacrificial blood.

But nonetheless, this part in Deuteronomy 23 doesn't mention behold or hand. Psalms, Chronicles, Judges, Isaiah are not the Torah. YHWH came first in Torah (c.1300 BC) or earlier, and the other books were written centuries later. It's very hard to see in Torah when YHWH's name shows up an association with ARM, BEHOLD, NAIL, BEHOLD. Frankly, I don't see it there.

The funny thing is, I do see this connection in Psalm 22, Isaiah 49, Isaiah 52-53, Zechariah 11-13.

Jeremiah 16 associates BEHOLD and HAND with Hashem, but doesn't mention nails or piercing:
(21. Therefore, behold, I will this once cause them to know, I will cause them to know mine hand and my might; and they shall know that my name is The Lord.)

Isaiah 25 does the same thing as Jer. 16:
Quote:
1. O Lord [YHWH], thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things;
9. And it shall be said in that day, Lo,[BEHOLD] this is our God; we have waited for him, and he will save us: this is the Lord; we have waited for him, we will be glad and rejoice in his salvation.
10. For in this mountain shall the hand of the Lord rest
In Isaiah 49, God says to Israel about Zion:
Quote:
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
I can see the engraving related to the nail in YHWH, and see Behold and hands in this verse. So I expect that some Tanakh writers were aware of this issue and were using these letters' names together in their work deliberately. .......

To give another example, in Zechariah 12-13, we find:
Quote:
10. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced,
6. And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

7. Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the Lord of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones.

9. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.
The biggest weakness there in drawing a connection between nails and the other letter elements in YHWH is that Psalm 22, Isaiah 49, Isaiah 52-53, and Zechariah 12-13 never mention nails in particular, they only mention the piercing of the hand/arm.

But that still is not the same as saying that when the name of YHWH was arrived at that the Torah writers and their predecessors were thinking about those pictoral elements in YHWH. So at this point, this is where I am at with the YHWH pictoral letter issue.