View Single Post

Old 12-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Enlightened one

182 posts, read 167,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I guess you haven't noticed an increase in the number of mixed race couples and their offspring, over the last 20-30 years. You need to get out more. Racism/bigotry may not disappear, but it will decrease.

There's nothing new, or subtle, or different, about the active discrimination you describe. The seething hatred during the marching season that you reference has been around as long as the marching season itself.

The term "N.I. Brit" is an oxymoron. Your use of the term once again betrays your misunderstanding of the geography and politics.

Geopolitics 101: Ireland and Britain are two separate islands. Britain is the bigger island, comprising England, Scotland, Wales. I'm not sure where Isle of Wight, Channel Islands etc fit in, as part of Britain or not. I'm sure someone will explain that.

The Island of Ireland comprises the separate political entities of ROI, and N.I.

The UK refers to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

A person born is Britain is British, a person born in N.I. is Northern Irish. A person born in the USA is..........

Margaret Thatcher once famously said: "N.I. is as British as the borough of Finchley", which she represented in Parliament. I guess geography was not her strong suit.

People in N.I. who wish to identify and affiliate with Britain are not Brits, they are UKers. If there was no distinction, there would be no need for the various terms.

Our late lamented friend from N.I. sickandtiredofthis got very upset when I pointed this out, and I think has not been back since. S/he was under the impression that because they had been born in N.I. they were British.

The Brits should be embarrassed about N.I. It's their creation, they are 100% responsible for it.

I think you may need a quick check because on SOME maps Great Britain and Ireland is sometimes referred to as the ''British Isles'' so a person from Northern Ireland can identify themselves as British because NI is apart of the BRITISH ISLES.

Northern Ireland is apart of the UNITED KINGDOM they are citizens of the UK who are called British.

Thank you.