View Single Post

Old 05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
oak317

221 posts, read 325,872 times
Hi Planner15,

I lived in Hyde Park for 6 years so I think I can be a big help to you.

I lived on Hyde Park Boulevard for a long time, and I think it's the best street in the neighborhood. The #6 bus has at least three different bus stops on the street, and the Metra is not far. These are the fastest ways to get downtown.

The Del Prado building on 53rd & Hyde Park Blvd is one of the nicest apartment buildings in the neighborhood. It has modern apartments with dishwashers and granite countertops. It has a doorman and friendly staff. North of it is a lovely park with tennis courts and a farmer's market in the summer.

So I would definitely recommend East Hyde Park. It has the best access to downtown and it's very safe. You're also right up against the lake which is a nice plus.

The #6 bus and Metra are definitely preferable over the L for getting downtown. The biggest disadvantage of Hyde Park is that the L is far away and you have to take the #55 bus to get on it.

Hyde Park has very easy access to downtown, Grant Park, etc. But it has poor access to the North Side. To get to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, etc., you have to budget over 1 hour on public transit - at least one bus (or Metra) ride and one train ride.

Owning a car in Hyde Park was a big plus when I lived there. I parked my car for free on South Shore Drive (just off the Lake Shore Drive exit on 53rd street) and drove up to the north side along Lake Shore Drive.

So, owning a car is not necessary. You'll still have easy access to downtown which is the cultural heart of Chicago. But it can be a pain to get to the north side, and shopping might be a bit more difficult.

One thing you should know. Hyde Park is VERY different from New York City. It's a quiet neighborhood and sometimes the streets are almost empty. 53rd St is bustling with new shops and businesses, and you'll always see people on that street. But a lot of other streets can be very quiet at times.

Places in Hyde Park
- Cafe 53 (outdoor patio with overhanging trees that's quiet and uncrowded; gelato, pastries, variety of sandwiches and salads)
- Woodlawn Tap (the historical and always busy bar in Hyde Park)
- Court Theatre (world class theatre)
- Promontory Point (beautiful place to run, bike, enjoy the lake, view the skyline)
- Regenstein Library (one of the largest libraries in the world)

Good luck with your move!