View Single Post

Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 PM
CptnRn

16,786 posts, read 49,386,903 times
Default Allergies in Austin...

kvue.com | Austin Allergy Current Report, History - KVUE.com

Allergy testing: If it has been quite a few years since you were last tested for allergies, you should probably do it again, I found that I had developed an additional allergy to dust mites since the first time the tests were done. Austin has lots of things to be allergic to.

Annual Chart of Pollen & other allergies for Austin area: http://www.centraltexasallergy.com/pollenchart.gif

Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center Patient Education and Support Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education

MOLD: Mold is a problem all year round in Austin. Mold grows on decaying plant material, it doesn't matter when it last rained if there is moist decaying material for the mold to grow on, it can thrive for a considerable time. Austin is a more ideal climate for mold then many places because it rarely gets cold for long. Cold weather inhibits mold in some locations more then it does here.

If you are concerned about mold in your HVAC system, I suggest you have your HVAC repairman check your AC coils indoors for the presence of mold and check the heater for carbon monoxide leaks, before you pay for any duct cleaning. I have rarely seen ducts that needed cleaning if they are lined. You should also consider using high efficiency filters in your HVAC unit. They make a huge difference in reducing the amount of dust and fibers that get run through the system. They are more expensive but you can go 3 months between replacements. They will make your AC work a little harder drawing air through it, a little less energy efficient, but if it helps you breath better it is worth it.

You can get relatively inexpensive mold detection kits at Home Depot as well as for Radon Gas. You can also get a free Radon Gas test kit from the State. Radon gas in Travis County homes

Believe it or not, Austin is NOT one of the worst places in the US for allergies.

Austin is number 78 on this list for Worst Cities for spring allergies... Worst Allergy Cities for Spring Allergies

Here is an interesting map at pollen.com of the USA showing the worst locations currently for allergy problems; Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more

Ten Best Cities for Allergies in U.S.. Guess what, several places where it rains a lot are on that list.
  1. Portland, Ore.
  2. Seattle, Wash.
  3. San Diego, Calif.
  4. Sacramento, Calif.
  5. Albany, NY
  6. Salt Lake City, Utah
  7. Stockton, Calif.
  8. San Jose, Calif.
  9. Colorado Springs, Colo.
  10. Daytona Beach, Fla.
I expect that those coastal sea side cities benefit from the off shore breezes which help blow pollen, mold and other air pollutants away (Seattle, Portland, Daytona Beach, FL )

Cedar Pollen is a big problem in Austin. There is a growing consensus in favor of the removal of cedar trees. They are not native plants, but they are a fire risk, a health risk for many, and I have been told tend to poison the soil which keeps other plants from growing around them. Yet, I was surprised to see that West Lake Hills was demanding this man replace numerous cedar trees that had been cut down around his home. West Lake Hills and homeowner in fight over tree removal | www.statesman.com

Allergies are medical problems, there are worst places to live then Austin in that regard. I think it is the obligation of the allergy sufferer to educate themselves and with the help of their doctor, determine how best they can deal with their problems. Here are a few sites that can help in that regard or provide more information:

Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education

The Five Worst Cities for Mold Allergies | Indoor-Restore

Asthma Capitals: Ranking Reveals 10 Worst Cities For Asthma-Sufferers

ASTHMACAPITALS.COM

National Allergy Forecast & Information About Allergies | Pollen.com

Best Cities for Allergies in U.S.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...p-already.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...icks-stay.html