View Single Post

Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Lije Baley

471 posts, read 1,613,831 times

Advertisements

Desktops obsolete? Not IMO.

For me the only advantage a laptop has over a desktop is portability....and that's it. And for me portability is way down my priority list.

I've been using this Dell laptop for six months now and cannot wait til I can buy a desktop, very probably an all-in-one type from HP or Dell. The laptop has been a hassle from Day One because:

* having to drag it, its lap board, a wireless mouse and its own smaller board all over the house. Sheesh. The touch pad works fine for what it is but is not nearly as easy to use as a mouse.

* having to sit the laptop on my lap sucks. And then when the phone rings or I have to get up to check the pizza, take all that stuff off of me then return and rearrange it all over again.

* ergonomics issues, and the worst problem for me: to keep my shoulder, neck and wrists from needing mild massage therapy (no joke), I cannot use the laptop on a normal desk because the keyboard is above where my elbow bends. This situation causes unnatural bending of several joints and my wrists, so writing anything more than a couple of paragraphs results in arm/neck pain. AND the screen is too low, requiring me to look downwards, again, causing neck issues.

* where is it actually comfortable to use? While lying in bed while I'm propped up on some pillows - that's it. Forget that!

* lastly, the repair issues: laptops seem to be much more expensive to fix or modify. Not a positive thing for me.

On the other hand.......

With a desktop and a proper computer desk, you can place the keyboard on the lower portion where it's ergonomically correct. Same with the monitor i.e. just a tad below eye level. That way you can, well at least I can literally sit for hours if need be with no undue aches/pains.

And as someone who listens to a lot of music while surfing etc, with a desktop (and a laptop too) I can use pretty much any size of powered speaker system since there is lots of room for them. Few laptops I've auditioned have speaker systems I would rate as "O.K." and most to me sound like a glorified AM radio, just awful.

I also like desktops better because of the larger screens you can choose - it's just plain easier to see whatever is you're doing, whether that's email, videos, pics of the dog, or browsing forums (I don't anything like Photoshop etc). Next monitor will be at least 22", possibly larger.