View Single Post

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
GWhopper

2,953 posts, read 5,339,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
San Antonio, San Antone, Texas

This page is some good reading. I am not saying it is gospel....but I am still researching.

The Urrutia Family name has been well known in Mexico and San Antonio since its the late 1600s. There is one story in San Antonio about a headless angel onced located on Urrutia property near Brackenridge Park and now owned by Southwester Bell. As the story goes, at one point during a Mexican revolution the Urrutia family had captured a peasant and cut his tongue out during the revolution to prevent him from talking. In vengence, a daughter of the family was caught and beheaded. Consequently Dr. Urrutia having great love for his daughter and missing her then had a headless statue built in her memory. A granddaughter of the family told this author that the truth was nothing more than a piece of art in the way of a statue that was brought from Europe.

The story of the headless angel's arrival is an odd one in itself. When the angel arrived at the docks, she was returned by the shippers because they thought she had been broken during the voyage. On the third attempt to ship the angel to the Urrutia family, the angel proceeded on its journey after the workers had been told that the statue was suppose to look like it did. The statue is a reproduction of Nike of Samonthrace Greek, ca.190 B.C. presently displayed in the Louvre. The windblown Winged Victory has her wings spread out as though she has just landed on the front of a sailing ship. Anyone wanting to start their own tale or simply want to display the statue in their home or office garden may attain a reproduction for under $5,000.0.
I managed to find some pictures of the old Urrita mansion from its hey day, and even a picture of the doctor himself with his grandchildren. These pictures include an exterior shot of the house, a couple rooms inside of it, and some of the artwork that was on display there.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2382-.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2382-d.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2382-g.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2382-i.gif   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2382-l.gif  

Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-l-2989-.gif