Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
FWIW, I lived in Edmond for almost four years (2006 - 2010) and my neighborhood there was much more racially diverse than the similar suburban neighborhood I now live in in Kansas City.
I was a student at Edmond Memorial High School in Edmond when the first black student to attend Edmond schools enrolled in 1975. He was named "King" of one of those sports courts (can't remember which one).

Edmond has done pretty well in terms of integration since those days. OKC is much more diverse than other places. While historically, the african american part of town grew out of the near eastern edge of downtown, and now includes most of northeastern OKC, black neighborhoods are located in north OKC, Spencer, and Del City and Midwest City are completely mixed neighborhoods now. The Putnam City school district area has a large number of black students who live in the district (which is the "desirable" part of OKC).

Norman which was all white until 1967 now has an african american population at 5%.

Heck, Blake Griffin (OKC native/NBA) is the child of a "mixed" marriage. His parents were teachers at Classen High school and married in the late 70's. They are well respected in the community and were so before their son was a big basketball star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbprincess View Post
hello, every one in oklahoma!!! i have a few questions, i would like to know how diversed is it in oklahoma city? i and my family are thinking about moveing there from california. and i would like to also know, is it really racist out there? How is the public transportation, the weather, the food, etc.
As an Anglo/NDN I dated an AA gal for a bit. Had a lot of fun doing it. Don't worry about racism.....we're the perfect balance of Native American/Southern/Western culture.

Welcome!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
....we're the perfect balance of Native American/Southern/Western culture.
Except for me.........I don't like anyone very much..........

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM

51 posts, read 474,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Except for me.........I don't like anyone very much..........
Haha good to know. Equal opportunity hatred, I like it.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyS View Post
Haha good to know. Equal opportunity hatred, I like it.
Not any sort of hatred involved. I just enjoy the presence of my own company, the sound of my own voice, and the pleasure of being quiet when I want it to be quiet...........which is most the time.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 PM

51 posts, read 474,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Not any sort of hatred involved. I just enjoy the presence of my own company, the sound of my own voice, and the pleasure of being quiet when I want it to be quiet...........which is most the time.
Fair enough.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:08 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,010 times
I am in rural Oklahoma, and the first year of integration was in like 1960, I was in 1st grade. I find it odd that the cities you mention didn't integrate until the 1970's.

I don't know alot about the racism in OKC or Edmond, but what comes to mind is areas like Nichols Hills would likely be racist--they don't even want an old pickup parked in a driveway in the Hills. I have been staying in Edmond for the last couple of months, but don't know who is racist or what community is uppity or whatever.

In general, I believe young Oklahomans are not racist. I would always prefer the country to the city. Less hassle in a small town. Every knows everybody and we have lived with blacks and indians and mexicans for years. we grew up together in school...nobody really looks twice about such things.at least that is what it's like where I live.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:25 PM

593 posts, read 1,794,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Then you're just ignorant about the history of OKC. Many, many other stories if you took the time to reseach it. Generally negros still keep to the northeast side of OKC. There are still metro OKC communities where they are not accepted.

Springlake Amusement Park Collection | Retro Metro OKC

Racial tension remained an issue for the park. News of a large riot that erupted in 1971 in the park between whites and blacks frightened away potential customers and hastened Springlake’s demise. A change of ownership, poor maintenance, and fire led to the park’s 1981 sale to the Oklahoma City Vo-Tech Board, which closed Springlake for good.
Speaking of IGNORANT, I haven't heard blacks being referred to as "negros" since the '60's...

Old 04-24-2011, 07:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Generally negros still keep to the northeast side of OKC. There are still metro OKC communities where they are not accepted.
Michael Scott, is that you?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM

242 posts, read 764,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
what comes to mind is areas like Nichols Hills would likely be racist--they don't even want an old pickup parked in a driveway in the Hills.
That's not racism... that's being afraid of poor people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City