Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 08:44 AM

371 posts, read 364,704 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Colorado, but everyone seems to be moving here, and it's getting to be crowded, a lot of homeless and crime has gone up a lot. Downtown is not the same anymore, roads to the mountains are crazy. My husband and I are considering Montana.It seems the closest to what Colorado used to be. What towns would you recommend? I looked in Bozeman and the homes are very plain looking, but I believe thats the biggest city in Montana. A ranch home might be better, away from the city but still have access to hospitals and shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 09:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
At city level, Billings is more than twice as big as Bozeman, 125k to 58k. Billings biggest in state, Bozeman 4th. But at metro level, it is 184k to 119k. Bozeman metro will relatively soon probably become 2nd biggest metro but not yet.

Bozeman's houses are "plain-looking"? Probably will need to say more about preferences and budget to get useful advice, but there are older neighborhoods... with low turnover. Ranch homes? How much land, how close to town, at what cost?

Have you browsed past threads? Most issues get repeatedly considered.

If you have strong interest in urban features, Billings might deserve consideration; though as Montana's largest city, crime, homelessness and traffic are rising concerns to at least some. Bozeman is not immune to these concerns but the biggest issue is affordability for many.

Are you fully prepared to move from a moderately large metro to relatively small one? If not, Boise or Reno are much closer to your current place.

How interested in wild Montana are you?

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-27-2024 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-27-2024, 10:16 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I currently live in Colorado, but everyone seems to be moving here, and it's getting to be crowded, a lot of homeless and crime has gone up a lot. Downtown is not the same anymore, roads to the mountains are crazy. My husband and I are considering Montana.It seems the closest to what Colorado used to be. What towns would you recommend? I looked in Bozeman and the homes are very plain looking, but I believe thats the biggest city in Montana. A ranch home might be better, away from the city but still have access to hospitals and shopping.
If you want to get away from Colorado for the reasons you listed Bozeman is not the place. It has all the problems you described and unless you have a few million lying around, it's unaffordable. Plain looking houses are probably the least of your concerns.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:00 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Budget? Jobs? You want to be close to the mountains and ski resorts? Do you want sunny weather or can you put up with cloudy and damp winters?

My brother-in-law lives in Longmont and he has desperately wanted to leave. He looked at Kalispell (took a trip in the winter) and he knocked it off his list due to the grey, no sun environment. It's also growing like hotcakes and he feels it would be another Longmont before too long. He and his family go to Big Sky to ski every year and although he likes Bozeman and surrounds, he doesn't want to spend the money required to live there.

Montana is a big state and it would be helpful if you narrowed it down a bit.

Old 02-27-2024, 01:11 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
If the OP thinks "MT is what CO used to be", sorry. It's been discovered and is in the process of being sold out to the highest bidders pretty much anywhere close to key amenities like an airport, a decent hospital, water, and mountains. MT has always had drugs, homeless, crime, etc. but 'per capita' I suppose it's less than CO ... casual observation is that it's gotten a lot worse the past few years.

Being a CO guy for the better part of 45yrs (grew up in Longmont), I can tell you with complete confidence that you WILL come to dread Winters and Springs in MT, due to the damp/dreary/gray weather. Bought ski pass this year and haven't bothered due to lackluster conditions ... I grew up skiing in CO and this pales in comparison - so I think I'm done with that hobby.

We're way down on snowpack this season, which doesn't bode well for fires. If you thought the smoke in CO was bad, just wait till you experience a MT fire season ... we get smoked here from other regions even if we're not on fire. We had smoke roll in from Alberta last MAY. That might happen again if fires kick up.

If you don't have stellar credit and financing available, bring a few million in liquidity or plan to look at properties East of the divide, where things are far less populated and more affordable (for good reasons). It's the true 'Big Sky' country out there.

Your post sort of implies that you haven't given this much thought yet, so hopefully we've given you some things to think about.

Old 02-28-2024, 01:18 PM

371 posts, read 364,704 times
I can work remote since 2020, and I have a high budget for a home, however Montana could be a bit too cold, but it seems like a lovely state.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:58 PM

I'm not sure what your budget is (nor do I care, none of my business) but I'll just leave these numbers here. As far as cold, it gets bad but nothing like the Hi-Line. That area is something else.
https://www.zillow.com/bozeman-mt/

Old 02-28-2024, 04:35 PM

1,663 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
I can work remote since 2020, and I have a high budget for a home, however Montana could be a bit too cold, but it seems like a lovely state.
Flathead County averaged anywhere from 30-60% bumps in property tax. We got hit with 60%.

The 'pretty places with amenities' got hit the hardest, of course.

Something else to think about.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
I currently live in Colorado, but everyone seems to be moving here, and it's getting to be crowded, a lot of homeless and crime has gone up a lot..
If you're seeking to avoid rapid growth states, check Montana off the list.

Instead, look at Wyoming, Alaska, Vermont, NH and Maine. Reality check: homelessness and drug related crimes have increased pretty much everywhere.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
If you're seeking to avoid rapid growth states, check Montana off the list.

Instead, look at Wyoming, Alaska, Vermont, NH and Maine. Reality check: homelessness and drug related crimes have increased pretty much everywhere.
I'd scratch Wyoming off. They're pretty unfriendly to outsiders, especially from Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana