Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:40 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times

Advertisements

For a good while now, we've been experiencing a sort of convergence in the US culturally since say the 1930s: less accents and unique phrases, pop music, franchises, corporate culture etc.

The question is this, will that trend continue or will it reverse, where areas develop their own unique habits that you don't really see other places?

I think that the nation will diverge. Looking at languages, they naturally diverge if you give them time, they tend to evolve down as people invent new phrases and words and they become common. That's how Latin made Romance languages. Mass media was the big force that undid a lot of this, but to what extent will mass media be such a presence in the future? Social media is replacing mass media and that is more targeted. Pop music doesn't exist anymore, everyone has their own playlists, largely built around a local live music scene.

Basically nobody relocates for jobs anymore, it's down to like 1-2% of people. People in general just don't move as much. And when they do, what people are moving for now is finding a place that fits them, so people are self segregating. Big cities will always be immigrant hubs and have this global churn feel, but the smaller cities and towns is where the regional flair really expresses, and those areas are picking up in growth or reversing declines.

The only area that doesn't really seem to be slowing down is franchises, seems like those keep thriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 12:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,322,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Basically nobody relocates for jobs anymore, it's down to like 1-2% of people. People in general just don't move as much. And when they do, what people are moving for now is finding a place that fits them, so people are self segregating. Big cities will always be immigrant hubs and have this global churn feel, but the smaller cities and towns is where the regional flair really expresses, and those areas are picking up in growth or reversing declines.
Is there data to support this? Because my anecdotal experience is the opposite. People are moving more than ever before in my lifetime. Remote work has enabled this and everything I’ve seen suggests the pandemic facilitated a major shift in domestic migration patterns, as millions of people left major coastal cities in favor of smaller, lower cost of living, towns and suburbs. Probably half or more of my high school classmates no longer live in their hometowns. They’ve moved elsewhere for college or careers and stayed. Perhaps compared to 100 years ago nobody is moving, but compared to 30 years ago I’d say moves have picked up.

The future of American culture likely moves in a three pronged direction. In the middle, you’ll see the idea of a common accent and regional distinctions fade away, but (unfortunately) the divergence of political and social attitudes will separate people as polarization continues to grow.

Old 04-12-2024, 01:10 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
more

Old 04-12-2024, 03:06 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
More convergent. A hyper-connected world = homogenization of ideas, cultures, cities, experiences, etc.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:32 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
More. The moment a subculture comes up with something cool, it's on the internet and wannabes from Spokane pick it up.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:45 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Is there data to support this? Because my anecdotal experience is the opposite. People are moving more than ever before in my lifetime. Remote work has enabled this and everything I’ve seen suggests the pandemic facilitated a major shift in domestic migration patterns, as millions of people left major coastal cities in favor of smaller, lower cost of living, towns and suburbs. Probably half or more of my high school classmates no longer live in their hometowns. They’ve moved elsewhere for college or careers and stayed. Perhaps compared to 100 years ago nobody is moving, but compared to 30 years ago I’d say moves have picked up.

The future of American culture likely moves in a three pronged direction. In the middle, you’ll see the idea of a common accent and regional distinctions fade away, but (unfortunately) the divergence of political and social attitudes will separate people as polarization continues to grow.
Interstate migration in the US has slowed significantly in the past decade, yes.

That being said; I concur very much with your second paragraph.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post

People are indeed moving more, but moving because you want to relocate somewhere vs relocating cause that's where the job is result it two very different outcomes. Relocating where you want generally means turbocharging the existing vibe and culture whereas moving for a job means more trying to mesh your culture with the mass of the metro suburban office park. The latter leads to homogenization, the former leads to more distinction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
More convergent. A hyper-connected world = homogenization of ideas, cultures, cities, experiences, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
More. The moment a subculture comes up with something cool, it's on the internet and wannabes from Spokane pick it up.
We are already very very connected, that's part of why I'm curious on this. Are we really going to get MORE similar than we are now?

On a lot of fronts, things seem to be slowing down. Immigration is slowing or at least less supported worldwide than it used to be. Supply chains are segmenting, we've already passed peak globalization from a goods perspective. The internet is fragmenting where China and the US have separate versions, and the EU will have their own version as their regs on AI and things of that nature differ markedly than the US.

Sports viewership and interest is down, and what's more mass US culture than that? Nobody has cable or the radio anymore. Ads are targeted rather than mass blasted.

People are subculturing a lot more than they used to. I say give it time and those subcultures will self segregate more geographically and that's how we end back up more divergent than we are now.

Old Today, 09:53 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Today's LEVEL of connection will increase over time.

I could be wrong about that. Much depends on the details of how we're fed new stuff vs. same-old stuff by algorithms, whether shows are homogenized or more independent....

Old Today, 10:10 AM

12,829 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Politically divergent

Old Today, 11:04 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,891,252 times
More convergent. Just because of mass media.

I also could see that happening among the entire Anglosphere. Aussies, Kiwis, and Brits sounding more American. Canadians are already losing unique accents (GTA/Lower Ontario has always sounds very similar to Inland American English [i.e. "General American"] )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.