Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 09:57 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times

Advertisements

www.pennforward.com

I doubt this is adopted, but it is great to see it getting the support of some faculty across the country.

I’ve posted the intro below. The details are at the link. I signed my name at a UPenn alum.

Quote:
When Benjamin Franklin founded the University of Pennsylvania in 1749, his objective was to establish an institution dedicated to practical education and the advancement of society. His vision would make Penn distinct from peer institutions, like Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, which at the time were affiliated with religious denominations. As such, for many years, no comparable institution existed in North America.

We propose a future for Penn that, while modern in its ambitions, is true to Franklin’s enlightenment values. Many institutions today deliver research and teaching mixed with other social and political agendas, somewhat like the religious agendas of elite Universities of the 1700s.

To recommit to Franklin’s vision, Penn’s sole aim going forward will be to foster excellence in research and education. This aim is in the best long-term interest of all members of society. Penn’s strong focus on academic excellence, curiosity, and innovation has historically attracted scholars and students from a wide variety of backgrounds. Today, as Penn’s competitors struggle to define their mission and lose their focus on this manner of excellence, Penn has a unique opportunity to emerge as a globally leading academic institution in an ever more competitive international landscape.

In this document, we present a summary of a vision for Penn based on a set of common principles that will help it achieve this ambitious goal and stand the test of a turbulent time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2023, 06:56 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
www.pennforward.com

I doubt this is adopted, but it is great to see it getting the support of some faculty across the country.

I’ve posted the intro below. The details are at the link. I signed my name at a UPenn alum.
That's beautiful.

Old 12-21-2023, 07:25 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I think it's a great statement, but interesting that you doubt it will be adopted. That makes me sad.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
The political and institutional neutrality requirement will be the subject of debate. And even if that requirement is "at the level of the administration," does that include just the president and his cabinet? Employees of the president and his cabinet? Or does that include a wide range of university employees? And commentary on societal and political events; a "societal comment" could include a harmless social media post on, say, Kim Kardashian's dress. Is that subject to penalty if a university employee makes that comment? And while the goal of this statement is to "[resist] political temptations," one asks if the drafters of this statement have a political motivation of their own?

Oh, and a final question: Would Amy Wax be able to remain at Penn, under this statement?

Old 01-01-2024, 12:49 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post

Oh, and a final question: Would Amy Wax be able to remain at Penn, under this statement?
Oh God, what a piece of work.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
The political and institutional neutrality requirement will be the subject of debate. And even if that requirement is "at the level of the administration," does that include just the president and his cabinet? Employees of the president and his cabinet? Or does that include a wide range of university employees? And commentary on societal and political events; a "societal comment" could include a harmless social media post on, say, Kim Kardashian's dress. Is that subject to penalty if a university employee makes that comment? And while the goal of this statement is to "[resist] political temptations," one asks if the drafters of this statement have a political motivation of their own?

This is not at the level of individual professors, nor should it be. That’s the entire point. Universities need to embrace viewpoint diversity and they are currently failing at this. Amy Wax, though I thoroughly disagree with a lot of what she says, should absolutely remain if her scholarship is seen as valuable.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:09 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I think it would be great if they could actually do it but it will depend on the students. The issue today with woke agendas is that they are embraced by the majority of the current generation of students. If these students cannot see how the saturation of politics and social agendas in academia has gotten out of hand and become anathema to the free speech that is supposed to exist on university campuses, then the policy will fail regardless of its merits.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:40 AM

4,341 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think it would be great if they could actually do it but it will depend on the students. The issue today with woke agendas is that they are embraced by the majority of the current generation of students. If these students cannot see how the saturation of politics and social agendas in academia has gotten out of hand and become anathema to the free speech that is supposed to exist on university campuses, then the policy will fail regardless of its merits.
Well put!

It would be a start at the college level, but unfortunately the agenda has already spread to K-12. So, by the time students get to college they are almost fully indoctrinated.

Still, one institution at a time would be a good thing.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:28 PM

U of Chicago does it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities