Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Kentucky or Indiana
I'd prefer KENTUCKY 23 35.38%
I'd prefer INDIANA 27 41.54%
nap festival, NEITHER 12 18.46%
these states aren't that bad, BOTH 3 4.62%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 06:02 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,914,364 times

Advertisements

It's Preferable States: Season 2 episode ii.. Friendly Neighbors Edition. Which one of these pleasant unassuming Friendly Neighboring States Gets Your Vote or Approval

It's the Hossier State, An Educational Center, A Motorsports Capital, Indy 500, "the Crossroads of America"

It's the Bluegrass State, Land of Fried Chicken, Horse Derbies, Bourbon and Louisville Sluggers

It's Kentucky vs Indiana This Time. On Preferable States

Preferable State: Kentucky or Indiana
- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?

List Commentary below

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 04-14-2024 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 06:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 838,760 times

- Preferred Location: both are well-positioned but I prefer Indiana for access to up north Michigan and Chicago.

- Brighter Future: Indiana but I think much of Kentucky will also do well.

- Best Major Cities: objectively Indiana but subjectively I just don't like Indianapolis. I mean no offense by that, it's just not my vibe.

- Best Secondary Cities: Kentucky for Lexington.

- Topography & Landscapes: both are underrated. I vote Indiana for the Indiana Dunes and a generally excellent state park system.

- Economy: Indiana

- Higher Education: Indiana, IU and Purdue are both very strong.

- Weather: Indiana, I don't like hot humid weather.

- The State I Prefer is? Indiana

I would choose to live in suburban Northwest Indiana followed by Lexington followed by Lafayette or South Bend-Mishawaka.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:59 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,339,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
It's Preferable States: Season 2 episode ii.. Friendly Neighbors Edition. Which one of these pleasant unassuming Friendly Neighboring States Gets Your Vote or Approval

It's the Hossier State, An Educational Center, A Motorsports Capital, Indy 500, "the Crossroads of America"

It's the Bluegrass State, Land of Fried Chicken, Horse Derbies, Bourbon and Louisville Sluggers

It's Kentucky vs Indiana This Time. On Preferable States

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?

List Commentary below
I grew up in Kentucky, and live in Indiana now. I'll preface by saying that I like both states.

- Preferred Location: I prefer Indiana's location, because I prefer Lake Michigan. They're otherwise nearby each other obviously, so I don't know that either one has that big of an advantage here.

- Brighter Future: I am more in-tune with happenings in Indiana, and I do feel generally optimistic between the SK Hynix announcement and the other assorted venture funding in Indy.

- Best Major Cities: Indy vs Louisville. Both are great in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the posters who rep Louisville on this forum, so I don't really want to get into a pissing match. I live in Indy, but Louisville is on my short list if I were to ever leave Indy.

- Best Secondary Cities: Lexington vs Fort Wayne? Bloomington? This is kind of a wash for me. Lex gets a bump from UK, but FW is a good secondary city. My favorite secondary city would be Bloomington, but Lafayette is doing well too. I don't know if there is a third in Kentucky. Bowling Green is getting there.

- Topography & Landscapes: Both have large swaths of land that are very unremarkable, and both have great natural assets. I prefer Lake Michigan, and the Great Lakes in general, so I prefer Indiana here.

- Economy: This ties in with brighter future comment. I know more about Indiana's economy, and I feel positive about it.

- Higher Education: Purdue/Notre Dame/Rose Hulman. Indiana and it isn't close.

- Weather: I prefer Kentucky's weather, but the gap isn't large.

- The State I Prefer is?: I prefer Indiana, but that is because I prefer Indianapolis. Rural Indiana and rural Kentucky are both places I have spent time in, and would never choose to live in either.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:48 AM

1,216 posts, read 812,504 times
Let see...

- Preferred Location - I will give Indiana an edge here. Being "Crossroad of America" means you have good access to a wider region.
- Brighter Future - Tie. Indiana still faces large brain drain, while Kentucky is chugging along somewhere in the middle.
- Best Major Cities - Kentucky. Louisville is just more interesting than Indy.
- Best Secondary Cities - Umm...Tie. Kentucky has Lexington which is more interesting than Fort Wayne, but rest of KY is mostly rural. And on an even more secondary scale, NWI (Chicago) will always beat Northern KY (Cincinnati)
- Topography & Landscapes - Kentucky. Yes, I know Indiana is not all flat (I used to live in Bloomington), but Kentucky has actual mountains in the eastern part. Indiana Dunes is interesting, but the Lake Michigan Shores of Indiana is not big compare to Illinois or Michigan
- Economy - Indiana. Indy while a boring city is doing better than people give credit for. Lots of automotive plants and the upcoming SK Hynix plant around Lafayette also.
- Higher Education - Indiana, not even close. Purdue, Notre Dame, Rose-Hulman all put out a gajillion undergrads to work in other states .
- Weather - Tie. The difference is minimal.
- The State I Prefer is? Between the two, Indiana. Overall, neither.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:56 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,893,327 times
- Preferred Location - Indiana... Lake Michigan access and proximity to Chicagoland is the greatest asset between the two states

- Brighter Future - Even... I don't feel qualified to answer but I don't see a huge advantage for one state over the other

- Best Major Cities - Indiana... Indianapolis barely edges Louisville here. Both have a lot to offer.

- Best Secondary Cities - Even... Feel like this is a battle of quality vs quantity as Lexington is the "best of the rest" but Indiana has some great college towns and some okay smaller cities in Fort Wayne/South Bend/Evansville.

- Topography & Landscapes - Kentucky... I'm a big fan of Red River Gorge and Mammoth Cave

- Economy - Indiana

- Higher Education - Indiana... IU/Purdue/Notre Dame > UK/UL

- Weather - Kentucky... milder winters win out for me here

- The State I Prefer is? - Indiana... I prefer its more diverse and greater volume of offerings

Old 04-15-2024, 08:24 AM

10,106 posts, read 14,524,324 times
My picks --

- Preferred Location: Kentucky
- Brighter Future: Indiana
- Best Major Cities: Indiana
- Best Secondary Cities: Indiana
- Topography & Landscapes: Kentucky
- Economy: Indiana
- Higher Education: Indiana
- Weather: Kentucky
- The State I Prefer is? Kentucky gets the win over Indiana for me

I don't love either state, first off LOL. BUT, I'd pick Kentucky if I had to select between the 2. I'd go with Louisville to live.

Indianapolis is bigger with a lot more going on than Louisville, but Louisville has a bit more originality and character, and a ton of fun bars and good restaurants. Not that Indy doesn't, but it's sort of more generic.

Indiana's topography is way too flat for my liking. I like some mountains, hills, valleys and scenic areas.

Kentucky wins this match up.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:46 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,914,364 times
- Preferred Location? Hmm maybe Indiana cause it's closer to Chicago and Michigan, and the Great Lakes
- Brighter Future? Hmm maybe Indiana cause it's already larger and doesn't have to play catch up, it already has a Metro of over 2 million, pro sports, etc
- Best Major Cities? Indianapolis has more going on than the Kentucky cities
- Best Secondary Cities?, Kentucky, Lexington, Frankfort, Northern Kentucky Cincinnati Suburbs
- Topography & Landscapes Kentucky, not flat like Indy, the hills and mountains of Appalachia
- Economy Indiana, because it's already bigger and I don't see Kentucky surpassing it
- Higher Education Indiana because of Notre Dame
- Weather Tie, they basically have the same weather
- The State I Prefer is? I don't know, I'm undecided

Old 04-15-2024, 11:44 AM

8,555 posts, read 4,802,168 times
Preferred location - Kentucky, except for NWI’s proximity to Chitown, perhaps my fav city in the U.S.

Brighter future - I’ll have to go Indiana on this one. As a truck driver, there was a lot of warehousing and other industry in Indiana (Ball jar factory, ag). Most of my time in Kentucky was spent transiting through it. But, that could mean that Kentucky just has a lower base to start from and could find a niche to start growing faster than Indiana.

Best major cities - Inguess that has to go to Indy, although Indy felt a little seedier than I’d bargained on, and doesn’t particularly jazz me with personality.

Best secondary cities - Lexington is nicer than anything Indiana has, but as a collection, it’s Indiana again

Topography and landscapes - Kentucky by a long way. Not that Indiana is 100% awful or boring, but Kentucky is almost all more interesting. I’m a desert guy so I don’t need trees, but they’re infinitely more interesting with some elevation.

Economy - Indiana

Higher ed - Indiana. I can’t add anything which hasn’t already been said.

Weather - Kentucky, at least by a little. It’s not vastly difference, but I hate winter so every bit further south helps.

The state I prefer is - Kentucky. Indiana is a bit bland, and almost as Christian conservative in many spots as where I was in Texas. Indiana landed on my top 5 least fav states to drive through because the roads are fairly awful, and it’s always windy. Sadly, Indiana’s best pitch to me is NWI because of easy-ish access to a major city which isn’t even in Indiana.Indianapolis just needs a little more pizzazz to start tipping the scales back to a balance, because the universities coupled with its more robust economy alone aren’t enough to woo me.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 801 times
- Preferred Location: Kentucky
- Brighter Future: Kentucky
- Best Major Cities: Louisville is more compelling and interesting than Nap Town
- Best Secondary Cities: Lexington obliterates South Bend and or/Fort Wayne
- Topography & Landscapes: Kentucky
- Economy: Tie
- Higher Education: Indiana, thanks to Notre Dame
- Weather: Kentucky
- The State I Prefer is? Kentucky, fairly easily.

Kentucky holds much more geographic interest for me, from the mountains in the east to lake country in the south, to the rolling hills of Northern Kentucky and finally the caves in western Kentucky. Mammoth Cave alone is a massive national park attraction that is an awe-inspiring visit each time. Kentucky has the Bourbon Trail, Cumberland Gap NP, the Derby is more fun than the Indy 500, better regional cuisine and easy proximity to Cincinnati, Virginia, West Virginia and the Smoky Mountains/beautiful East Tennessee mountains and Gatlinburg.

Old 04-20-2024, 02:23 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,409,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Preferred location - Kentucky, except for NWI’s proximity to Chitown, perhaps my fav city in the U.S.

Brighter future - I’ll have to go Indiana on this one. As a truck driver, there was a lot of warehousing and other industry in Indiana (Ball jar factory, ag). Most of my time in Kentucky was spent transiting through it. But, that could mean that Kentucky just has a lower base to start from and could find a niche to start growing faster than Indiana.

Best major cities - Inguess that has to go to Indy, although Indy felt a little seedier than I’d bargained on, and doesn’t particularly jazz me with personality.

Best secondary cities - Lexington is nicer than anything Indiana has, but as a collection, it’s Indiana again

Topography and landscapes - Kentucky by a long way. Not that Indiana is 100% awful or boring, but Kentucky is almost all more interesting. I’m a desert guy so I don’t need trees, but they’re infinitely more interesting with some elevation.

Economy - Indiana

Higher ed - Indiana. I can’t add anything which hasn’t already been said.

Weather - Kentucky, at least by a little. It’s not vastly difference, but I hate winter so every bit further south helps.

The state I prefer is - Kentucky. Indiana is a bit bland, and almost as Christian conservative in many spots as where I was in Texas. Indiana landed on my top 5 least fav states to drive through because the roads are fairly awful, and it’s always windy. Sadly, Indiana’s best pitch to me is NWI because of easy-ish access to a major city which isn’t even in Indiana.Indianapolis just needs a little more pizzazz to start tipping the scales back to a balance, because the universities coupled with its more robust economy alone aren’t enough to woo me.
Maybe it is just me, but the weather isn't that much different between Indiana and Kentucky. Now if you were talking about like central or south Georgia to Florida, then yes you'd see a more noticeable difference. And yes I mean it that northern Georgia gets colder at times, than some people might think.

Maybe marginally southern Kentucky might get slightly warmer temps than Indiana, but the difference isn't by much.

Also as I've traveled a lot through both states, even a lot of rural Kentucky still has that Christian conservative element to the culture. That isn't only a thing in rural Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City