Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2024, 02:12 PM

28,988 posts, read 30,400,937 times

Advertisements

I'm new to "wild bird feeding" and I have questions

1. Do you throw your bird seed out after it rains?

2. What kind of bird seed do your birds seem to like....?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-25-2024 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2024, 02:49 PM

6,516 posts, read 10,445,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm new to wild bird feeding and I have questions

1. Do you throw your bird seed out after it rains?

2. What kind of bird seed do your birds seem to like....?

Thanks in advance.
I raised parrots for over 30 years and always threw out wet seed when I was aware of it. Wet seed can be contaminated with all sorts of bad things and birds can easily become sick ingesting it for many reasons. Personally, my bird doesn't eat seed, he is on a pelleted diet. FYI: look up the term Aspergillosis, not a nice thing for a bird.

I have bought seed for wild birds from time to time. Typically, from Walmart.

Old 05-25-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I raised parrots for over 30 years and always threw out wet seed when I was aware of it. Wet seed can be contaminated with all sorts of bad things and birds can easily become sick ingesting it for many reasons. Personally, my bird doesn't eat seed, he is on a pelleted diet. FYI: look up the term Aspergillosis, not a nice thing for a bird.

I have bought seed for wild birds from time to time. Typically, from Walmart.
Well, thank you, but I'm talking wild bird seed, not for inside birds or pets? Or is it the same for wild birds....

Old 05-25-2024, 03:10 PM

6,516 posts, read 10,445,630 times
My comments apply to both indoor and wild bird seed/food.

Old 05-25-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My comments apply to both indoor and wild bird seed/food.
\
Thank you

Old 05-25-2024, 03:49 PM

23,533 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Wet seed all by itself may not be that bad. Wild birds eat wet seed foods all the time. However, wet seed that that sits where there's no air exchange and it can't dry out (like inside a plastic tube or hopper feeder) can get moldy. Especially if at warmer temperatures.

Best to only buy as much seed as you think you will use over a short time, store it in a cool dry place, hang your feeders where the seed hopper doesn't get wet, and inspect, clean/disinfect them often. I prefer feeders that don't have huge hoppers. The longer seed sits in those uneaten, the better chance for mold to start forming. Fine mesh style feeders allow better air exchange. Some solid-sided hopper style feeders I've used were terrible in terms of mold, particularly an expensive, well known squirrel proof brand. It was chew-proof metal. Moisture condenses on metal when it chills down. Every time I turned around the thing smelled foul. A PITA to keep clean so now it just sits in the garage unused. I leave two tube and a hopper style feeder out from late fall until late spring every year. They hang under a deck roof so the feeders themselves hardly ever get wet due to weather. Once in a while a storm will coat one or two with frozen snow. I bring the feeder indoors, empty and spread the seed out on a trash bag to dry, then refill and hang it again.

As for choosing the seed local birds seem to favor, check with local feed & seed stores or garden centers. They often stock what customers ask for. If there's a nature center or local birding club, check with them. I've found most of my seedeating birds prefer shelled sunflower. There's also no shell waste to accumulate on the ground under the feeders where it rots and harbors mold birds can pick up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-25-2024 at 05:18 PM..

Old 05-26-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wet seed all by itself may not be that bad. Wild birds eat wet seed foods all the time. However, wet seed that that sits where there's no air exchange and it can't dry out (like inside a plastic tube or hopper feeder) can get moldy. Especially if at warmer temperatures.

Best to only buy as much seed as you think you will use over a short time, store it in a cool dry place, hang your feeders where the seed hopper doesn't get wet, and inspect, clean/disinfect them often. I prefer feeders that don't have huge hoppers. The longer seed sits in those uneaten, the better chance for mold to start forming. Fine mesh style feeders allow better air exchange. Some solid-sided hopper style feeders I've used were terrible in terms of mold, particularly an expensive, well known squirrel proof brand. It was chew-proof metal. Moisture condenses on metal when it chills down. Every time I turned around the thing smelled foul. A PITA to keep clean so now it just sits in the garage unused. I leave two tube and a hopper style feeder out from late fall until late spring every year. They hang under a deck roof so the feeders themselves hardly ever get wet due to weather. Once in a while a storm will coat one or two with frozen snow. I bring the feeder indoors, empty and spread the seed out on a trash bag to dry, then refill and hang it again.

As for choosing the seed local birds seem to favor, check with local feed & seed stores or garden centers. They often stock what customers ask for. If there's a nature center or local birding club, check with them. I've found most of my seedeating birds prefer shelled sunflower. There's also no shell waste to accumulate on the ground under the feeders where it rots and harbors mold birds can pick up.
Thank you.

it's really been a pain trying to feed the birds of late, as it's been raining for 3 weeks, more rain then sun....so, after tomorrow it should calm down and I'll only put out one tray feeder, until the hot summer comes and have decided to only put a small amount in each feeder....

I bought several kinds of seed and mixed them in a large air tight container.

I fed them this past winter and they loved it...and got the idea to start feeding them again and set up a feeding station outside my window. It has a baffle on a spring to repel squirrels and racoons. keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a chip monk that comes and cleans the seed off the ground...along with a squirrel. lol

have you seen the feeders with cameras?

I bet their fun.

I had a racoon raiding my hummingbird feeder, so I bring it in now every night...and clean it, refill it in the morning and they love it....love watching them.

thank you so much, much appreciate your input and help.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

23,533 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thank you.

it's really been a pain trying to feed the birds of late, as it's been raining for 3 weeks, more rain then sun....so, after tomorrow it should calm down and I'll only put out one tray feeder, until the hot summer comes and have decided to only put a small amount in each feeder....

I bought several kinds of seed and mixed them in a large air tight container.

I fed them this past winter and they loved it...and got the idea to start feeding them again and set up a feeding station outside my window. It has a baffle on a spring to repel squirrels and racoons. keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a chip monk that comes and cleans the seed off the ground...along with a squirrel. lol

have you seen the feeders with cameras?

I bet their fun.

I had a racoon raiding my hummingbird feeder, so I bring it in now every night...and clean it, refill it in the morning and they love it....love watching them.

thank you so much, much appreciate your input and help.
Maybe a tray style feeder isn't the best choice for your situation. Many have an incorporated roof or cover that protects the seed from the worst of the weather. There are also tray feeders that use fine mesh for the tray's bottom instead of a solid surface. Helps the seed dry out if/when it does get wet.

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds