Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 10:20 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
At Penrith high? They were talking about how much like NY Sydney was? Hilarious.
If it was Kirrawee High and they were said to be discussing SeaWorld in California and SeaWorld in QLD I would believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 10:55 PM

54 posts, read 33,229 times
Quote:
At Penrith high? They were talking about how much like NY Sydney was? Hilarious.
Why are you hung up on someone's anecdote that they've heard some specific thing before? I just don't really understand what your problem is? Can people of a certain demographic in a certain area not compare cities nonchalantly?

Old 02-28-2023, 11:39 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townhm View Post
Why are you hung up on someone's anecdote that they've heard some specific thing before?
Because it's a lie. Hilariously, you're more opinionated about US culture, a place you claim to have never been before, than Australia where you have lived your whole life and know nothing about. If you already know all this stuff why ask the essay question in the first place?

Quote:
always been used to people saying "Sydney is our New York"
This just does not happen.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
If it was Kirrawee High and they were said to be discussing SeaWorld in California and SeaWorld in QLD I would believe it.
Lol. That's more believeable.

I can just imagine out in Penrith at lunch time in the schoolyard all the kids debating the reasons why Sydney and New York are the same.

"How does the Met compare to the new Sydney Modern?"

"The skiing in Lake Placid is better than Thredbo, although it doesn't compare to the Rockies"

"I love the vibe in Potts Point, it reminds me of Chelsea"

"Emu Plains is very similar to White Plains"

And so on...

Old 03-01-2023, 12:01 AM

Quote:

I can just imagine out in Penrith at lunch time in the schoolyard all the kids debating the reasons why Sydney and New York are the same.

"The skiing in Lake Placid is better than Thredbo, although it doesn't compare to the Rockies"

And so on...
Now, BBC, we are both being snobbish as I have confirmed that Penrith High is one of our public selectives.
As such, the conversation is apt to be:
“What subjects will give me the highest ATAR”
“Will my mother kill me if I don’t get into med at Sydney uni?”
Etc etc

Old 03-01-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Now, BBC, we are both being snobbish as I have confirmed that Penrith High is one of our public selectives.
As such, the conversation is apt to be:
“What subjects will give me the highest ATAR”
“Will my mother kill me if I don’t get into med at Sydney uni?”
Etc etc
And don't forget, "Sydney Uni offers and exchange program with NYU"

Old 03-01-2023, 12:21 AM

OK OP, here are some serious facts and opinions.

When we discuss Sydney we in Australia always discuss the Sydney Met area, as you would know as you live here.

So we will compare with the New York City met area.

Sydney has a population of around 5 million, which is about 20% of the population of the whole country. It is the largest city, the first settled by Europeans, the State capital, the financial, educational and commercial centre for the state and the most expensive main city in the country in which to buy real estate. It has a population density of 1,120 people per square mile.

NYC has a population of around 20 million, apparently about 6% of the country’s population. It has a population density of 5,318 people per sq mile. Thus is much more crowded than Sydney. It is not the state capital, nor the oldest city in the country but is of great financial and commercial importance.

Sydney is situated on the coast and is defined by its topography, with all the rivers and the harbour crossing it. Numerous parks of all kinds are found in Greater Sydney, which has made the provision of transport expensive.

NYC is defined more by its high rise architecture, for which it is famous.

Both cities are very diverse and hundreds of languages are spoken in each. Food from almost everywhere is found in both cities. More than half of Sydneysiders have both parents born overseas, compared to the country overall a much higher percentage are born in Asia and less in the UK. The city is more religious with only 30% of people nominating no religion.

Both have somewhat a reputation for being unfriendly. We call my nephew a Queenslander as he talks to people on public transport. That is generally just not done.

Sorry, but dinner time! Enough.

Old 03-01-2023, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Because it's a lie. Hilariously, you're more opinionated about US culture, a place you claim to have never been before, than Australia where you have lived your whole life and know nothing about. If you already know all this stuff why ask the essay question in the first place?

Yes it does. There are like 4 Sydney v New York comparisons made by Australians on Quora a year, and all have Australians vigorously insulting NYC

Old 03-01-2023, 01:56 AM

Quote:

And so on...
Saying “Sydney is kind of like Australia’s New York” as a one off comparison is the same thing as knowing specific, less known American places and bothering to compare them to somewhere in Australia, and discussing in depth the differences and similarities? You’re being insanely dramatic and weird about this

Old 03-01-2023, 01:57 AM

Quote:

Haha, it’s not a lie, but you seem very bitter about this thread and are obviously trying to derail it, I’ll give you that.

A lot of people are interested in the US, it captures more media attention globally than any other country. Why are you so bent about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World