Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It doesn't matter if these places have interesting architecture such as art deco or modernist, the title clearly states cities that are known for architecture, not cities you think have interesting or unique architecture.
Miami is well known for it's art-deco style. I would argue among the architecturally inclined So Cal IS renowned for it's architecture, it's just far better known for other things. Same goes for London. We know it has great architecture, but it's not the PRIMARY reason it's famous, unlike say Prague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 08:45 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,326,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Miami is well known for it's art-deco style. I would argue among the architecturally inclined So Cal IS renowned for it's architecture, it's just far better known for other things. Same goes for London. We know it has great architecture, but it's not the PRIMARY reason it's famous, unlike say Prague.
I don't think you get it.....it's not a hard concept to grasp.

It's kind of like the topic "cities reknown for nightlife" as most major cities have good nightlife but doesn't mean they are REKNOWN for that. For instance Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco, etc, have good nightlifes but they aren't REKNOwN for that. But cities like. Miami, Las Vegas, London, Madrid, etc are REKNOWN for their nightlifes. Does this make sense to you or are you still confused?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I don't think you get it.....it's not a hard concept to grasp.

It's kind of like the topic "cities reknown for nightlife" as most major cities have good nightlife but doesn't mean they are REKNOWN for that. For instance Chicago, Toronto, San Francisco, etc, have good nightlifes but they aren't REKNOwN for that. But cities like. Miami, Las Vegas, London, Madrid, etc are REKNOWN for their nightlifes. Does this make sense to you or are you still confused?
Quito is RENOWNED for it's architecture, though. And who's to say it isn't? Have you conducted a poll? So is Buenos Aires, so is Cusco, Peru. As are Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Beijing.etc. Can you grasp this is a subjective thing?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM

16,697 posts, read 17,468,209 times
If it's a subjective thing is anyone going to cite Slough near London?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM

9,400 posts, read 14,347,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Firstly, it's 'renowned', as in 'world renowned.'

And what's the benchmark? South America isn't as touristed as Europe, so obviously it's not as WORLD FAMOUS, but for people in the know, Quito is definitely well KNOWN for it's old buildings. It's definitely renowned in South America for it's architecture.
Really? What "know" do you live in? I've lived in Ecuador, and I never heard anyone - anyone - talk about Quito for its architecture, ever. In fact the city is a depressing drag. It's Cuenca hands down for the preservation of Spanish colonial architecture, at least in that tiny country. And abroad, Ecuador is world renowned for the Galapagos. I've never heard anyone anywhere say, "go to Quito and die" because of its architecture, you've got to be kidding.

Anyway, the thread subject is world renowned - to the average person not particularly in the know - so I would suggest narrowing down to one per continent or major country.

In the US, Manhattan by far.

In Europe, it is really hard to narrow it down to just one, Paris, Prague, Venice, St Petersburg are all top contenders, though St Petersburg is practically Italian, isn't it? In terms of stunning beauty per square kilometer basis, in Italy at least, I'd have to say Florence and Venice beat Rome, though each concentrated in a particular period, especially Florence, while Rome spans more than two millennia. Prague is cool too. But to live in long term starting as a young person, I'd say Paris for its near perfect blend of past, present, and future (well, maybe).

Istanbul is sort of in a class by itself, spanning two continents and a crosspoint for several major regions geographically and also more than two millennia chronologically, and with arguably a better outlook going forward than, say, Paris and Rome, so good to see it on a few people's short, thankfully - the way it should be -, list.

Not to sure about Asia, but Hong Kong comes to mind to the average person for its contemporary architecture, rivaling Manhattan I suppose. Or is the Tokyo skyline more famous? Or is Dubai by now overtaking them both?

Egypt is world renowned but for its ancient pyramids, does that count?

In South America, I'd say that Rio de Janeiro has the most world renowned skyline against the backdrop of magnificent beaches and beautiful women, on that score it probably beats Miami or any other rival, world-renowned basis.

On a particular level, in my view, Miami, especially Coral Gables, as well as Saint Augustine and Palm Beach, stand out for their US guilded-age neoclassical/Mediterranean revival. Art deco? Doesn't do anything for me. In any case, Miami, as alluded to, it is world renowned for Miami Beach, bikini-clad women, cruise ship ports, and cocaine, not its architecture.

Last edited by bale002; 11-15-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,326,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Really? What "know" do you live in? I've lived in Ecuador, and I never heard anyone - anyone - talk about Quito for its architecture, ever. In fact the city is a depressing drag. It's Cuenca hands down for the preservation of Spanish colonial architecture, at least in that tiny country. And abroad, Ecuador is world renowned for the Galapagos. I've never heard anyone anywhere say, "go to Quito and die" because of its architecture, you've got to be kidding.

Anyway, the thread subject is world renowned - to the average person not particularly in the know - so I would suggest narrowing down to one per continent or major country.

In the US, Manhattan by far.

In Europe, it is really hard to narrow it down to just one, Paris, Prague, Venice, St Petersburg are all top contenders, though St Petersburg is practically Italian, isn't it? In terms of stunning beauty per square kilometer basis, in Italy at least, I'd have to say Florence and Venice beat Rome, though each concentrated in a particular period, especially Florence, while Rome spans more than two millennia. Prague is cool too. But to live in long term starting as a young person, I'd say Paris for its near perfect blend of past, present, and future (well, maybe).

Istanbul is sort of in a class by itself, spanning two continents and a crosspoint for several major regions geographically and also more than two millennia chronologically, and with arguably a better outlook going forward than, say, Paris and Rome, so good to see it on a few people's short, thankfully - the way it should be -, list.

Not to sure about Asia, but Hong Kong comes to mind to the average person for its contemporary architecture, rivaling Manhattan I suppose. Or is the Tokyo skyline more famous? Or is Dubai by now overtaking them both?

Egypt is world renowned but for its ancient pyramids, does that count?

In South America, I'd say that Rio de Janeiro has the most world renowned skyline against the backdrop of magnificent beaches and beautiful women, on that score it probably beats Miami or any other rival, world-renowned basis.

On a particular level, in my view, Miami, especially Coral Gables, as well as Saint Augustine and Palm Beach, stand out for their US guilded-age neoclassical/Mediterranean revival. Art deco? Doesn't do anything for me. In any case, Miami, as alluded to, it is world renowned for Miami Beach, bikini-clad women, cruise ship ports, and cocaine, not its architecture.

Thank You!

I have been to Quito eight times and no one talks about its architecture nor in South America. In South America the only cities you really hear about in regards to architecture are Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Cartagena and sometimes Rio, but like you said more so because of its skyline and mountains.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,305,477 times
Quote:
Yes I Know plenty about architecture seeing as I have a masters in it, am an architect, and work for Perkins & Wil.

I have been to Quito as well actually, quite a few times since my father is from there. Quitos colonial architecture while pretty,is nothing unique.

I think you are confusing places that have nice architecture, with places that are REKNOWN for architecture.

Nice try.
Agreed. His argument for LA was that it has "examples" of certain architectural styles. So? Every city in the world has examples of this and that. LA is known around the world for Hollywood, celebrities, beaches and nice scenery (as well as a few not so positive associations). But it is not recognized as an architecturally significant city, unless you consider celebrity mansions a significant style of architecture And neither is Rio. Maybe in Brazil, but not around the world.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Thank You!

I have been to Quito eight times and no one talks about its architecture nor in South America. In South America the only cities you really hear about in regards to architecture are Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Cartagena and sometimes Rio, but like you said more so because of its skyline and mountains.
I know many who would disagree. I know that among tourists it's well known for it's architecture.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Agreed. His argument for LA was that it has "examples" of certain architectural styles. So? Every city in the world has examples of this and that. LA is known around the world for Hollywood, celebrities, beaches and nice scenery (as well as a few not so positive associations). But it is not recognized as an architecturally significant city, unless you consider celebrity mansions a significant style of architecture And neither is Rio. Maybe in Brazil, but not around the world.
Again, architecture isn't just old or spectacular stuff. Among architects LA IS well known for it's architecture, as it is for people among the world. Maybe Rio less so, I'll give you that. But LA is actually one of the most influential cities in the world for architecture. Every heard of the 'California Bungalow'? That's a style you see from Perth to Pasadena.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Thank You!

No mention of Lima either? What about Cusco? Not to mention Bahia in Brazil.

Quito's buildings/history are important/well known enough to earn it a UNESCO World Heritage site listing.

City of Quito - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

Quito, the capital of Ecuador, was founded in the 16th century on the ruins of an Inca city and stands at an altitude of 2,850 m. Despite the 1917 earthquake, the city has the best-preserved, least altered historic centre in Latin America. The monasteries of San Francisco and Santo Domingo, and the Church and Jesuit College of La Compañía, with their rich interiors, are pure examples of the 'Baroque school of Quito', which is a fusion of Spanish, Italian, Moorish, Flemish and indigenous art.

I'm not expert on South America yet I've always heard of Quito being known for it's architecture. I don't know crowd you hang out with or if you just have something against Quito, but you can't downplay it's architectural significance. Along with Buenos Aires in the top 5 in Latin America IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World