Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
American tourists put dining opportunities near the top of their list of reasons they travel. I've never heard of a person from a foreign country coming to America in order to eat American food. The great majority of famous and important American restaurants feature a non-American cuisine.
What Russians, who visited US, consider "American restaurants", suck totally. No other country's restaurants receive so much trashing here. Part of this is surely due to anti-Americanism, but only a part...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Repeat: read the threads about this topic here on CD. This is not something somebody can proof by pointing to some study.

Being superpower doesn't equal being culturally unmatched.

Yes, that's a primary reason.

Which means nothing. And is totally false, BTW.

Russians view me in a totally opposite light - because I defend US a lot. But I actually always tell the truth - up to my abilities.
I don't need to read the threads on here to come to conclusions. I've traveled the world and spoken with people on four continents and more than 50 countries. I've never had people claim that the US's culture is undeveloped, apart from former Soviets. In any case, I'll take that over an anonymous forum any day of the week. You?

I never said the US's culture was unmatched. I was responding to your implication that the US's culture is sub-par. So, why is it sub-par as compared to the world's other countries?

Judging by age is ridiculous: Would you say the culture of Russia today is the same as it was in 1800?

It's not totally false: The US has the world's oldest working constitution; if you know of an older working one, please cite it. It is arguable as to whether it is the oldest ongoing democracy, as the definition of democracy depends; however, it is certainly one of the world's oldest ongoing democracies.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I don't need to read the threads on here to come to conclusions. I've traveled the world and spoken with people on four continents and more than 50 countries. I've never had people claim that the US's culture is undeveloped, apart from former Soviets. In any case, I'll take that over an anonymous forum any day of the week. You?
And I've heard that from Asians, not just Russians...

Why do you think that personal travel experience means anything? You are even totally off when it comes to Vladivostok, where you've spent years.

Quote:
So, why is it sub-par as compared to the world's other countries?
Because there's not much in America, when it comes to culture. Eating turkey? Even that cultural trait is totally pathetic, because you manage to thank YOUR god, for what Indian infidels provided you.

Quote:
Judging by age is ridiculous: Would you say the culture of Russia today is the same as it was in 1800?
Technological advances (and AIDS) aside - yes, for the most part.

Quote:
It's not totally false: The US has the world's oldest working constitution
Let's leave this "working" thing aside - it's not easy, and totally offtopic.

Quote:
however, it is certainly one of the world's oldest ongoing democracies.
Read the Federalist - US Founding Fathers decided not to make America democratic. But such strong belief that your country is democratic may very well be a cultural trait.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
And I've heard that from Asians, not just Russians...

Why do you think that personal travel experience means anything? You are even totally off when it comes to Vladivostok, where you've spent years.

Because there's not much in America, when it comes to culture. Eating turkey? Even that cultural trait is totally pathetic, because you manage to thank YOUR god, for what Indian infidels provided you.

Technological advances (and AIDS) aside - yes, for the most part.

Let's leave this "working" thing aside - it's not easy, and totally offtopic.

Read the Federalist - US Founding Fathers decided not to make America democratic. But such strong belief that your country is democratic may very well be a cultural trait.
Oh, personal travel experience means nothing. But what you've gleaned by Asians (and google) has great relevance. I'll mark that down. Who says what I say about Vladivostok has no import? Oh, that's right, it's YOU. Well, then, by that all-encompassing rubric...

Yeah, eating turkey is the full extent of American culture. You've really hit the nail on the head there.

Russian culture hasn't changed since 1800. Interesting. The whole Soviet thing had no cultural effect on the country; it's like it never happened!

The reason I brought the constitution up is that you were going to claim (and subsequently did claim) that America's relative youth is somehow proof of a lack of a developed culture. I am stating that the country really isn't that young in the grand scheme of things. In fact, there's probably a good list out there showing the ages of many countries younger than the US. Let's take Australia, which is roughly the same age...does Australia have a culture? Pakistan? Israel? Canada? Here's a list, you tell us which of the countries younger than the US don't have a developed culture: List of sovereign states by date of formation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Oh, personal travel experience means nothing. But what you've gleaned by Asians (and google) has great relevance. I'll mark that down.
1. I referred to Asians as a counter argument.
2. The opinion of people is what matters - written down opinion of as many people as possible.

Quote:
Who says what I say about Vladivostok has no import? Oh, that's right, it's YOU. Well, then, by that all-encompassing rubric...
The road damage in Vladivostok means that roads here are total trash. While a 10 times more serious damage in Minneapolis is just nature...

Quote:
Yeah, eating turkey is the full extent of American culture. You've really hit the nail on the head there.
Good luck coming up with better examples.

Quote:
Russian culture hasn't changed since 1800. Interesting. The whole Soviet thing had no cultural effect on the country; it's like it never happened!
Let me repeat myself: Technological advances (and AIDS) aside - yes, for the most part.

If you don't understand it - that's your problem.

Quote:
does Australia have a culture? Pakistan? Israel? Canada?
Not much.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Technically they have zero since Rihanna isn't even American! She lives here yeah, but she's from Barbados.
Oh yeah, I forgot about her Barbadian heritage.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
North Korea
Somalia
quite a few in Africa

Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Thing is a lot of American = modern. Not long ago wearing jeans and T-shirts was seen as 'American.' If you mean exposure to American media, it's hard to go anywhere where teens do not at least know Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift. The internet is not helping that.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Iran

Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol, wtf? if your gonna be on this site 24/7 blabbering on about your obsession with the United States you should think about actually coming over here and check out the country.
Materialism in US is no different than in Russia. Not that such culture is worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World