Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,673 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Fort McCoy area in February of 2010.
There are some older posts about this area.
Can anyone tell me where to look for apartments, real estate and where to look/live?

I love the idea of living in Small Town, USA.
Moving from Tucson, AZ.
What am I thinking?
Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:10 PM

33 posts, read 87,325 times
Check on the Tomah/Sparta Area thread below. Tomah seems to be the preference of most of the people on that thread. I lived in Tomah for over 14 years, never in Sparta. There is a sports rivalry between the two, which is natural anywhere. I try not to get into this x is better than y, unless there is a clear and important difference. So I only know about Tomah. It is around 7,500 in population. Sparta, if I remember correctly, is about the same size. Both are surrounded by rural areas. For example, when I was there, one Sparta radio station was WCOW, and Tomah had WBOG, for the extensive cranberry bogs to the east and north of town.

Everyone has their preferences, so you will have to decide for yourself if you would like to live in a smaller town in Wisconsin. LaCrosse, about 60,000 population, is about 30 miles from Sparta, and we had people from LaX commute daily to Tomah, so Fort McCoy would not be too far. It is all Interstate for the commute. You also can find houses in the country, and there is no traffic problem in commuting. I was never bored in Tomah, but then again, I seldom have been bored whether living on a farm, Tomah, or a metropolitan area.

There are Amish in the Coulee Country south of Tomah. People there mispronounce the word Amish, and the Amish are too polite to correct them. The Coulee Country has some pretty scenery, especially in spring. The cranberry bog region to the east and north of Tomah flat as a board and wild. Warrens, 10 miles north of Tomah, has a CranFest each year that draws tens of thousands of people. Deer, turkeys, coyote, bear, and even timber wolves live out in that bog area. It is one of the most sparsely populated areas of the state. Tomah had a bear den inside the city one winter when I was there. Deer are everywhere, inside the city, outside the city, and probably waiting for you now with a welcome sign.

Once you decide where you want to live, there are realtors on the web who can help you look for places. I don't know if you are aware of the area or ever lived in that area of the country, but if you have any questions or problems, people there will be glad to help if you ask them.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,033 times
Relocating to the base here. Have a family and want to live somewhere close to base but safe and with a Catholic middle school and high school. What’s the best safe family area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin