Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2024, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 479 times

Advertisements

I have been going to the same Optometry office for at least 9 years with a change in office ownership about 3 years ago. My vision insurance always covered the expenses except for the co-pays. At the time of the visit, we discussed insurance and she went to the insurance site and gave me co-pays, like she usually does on her computer (at least that's what I thought she was doing). A couple weeks later, another family member had a yearly appointment for exam and glasses and paid the co-pay he was issued. However, I recently found out through my vision insurance that the optometrist did not renew with the vision insurance and I would owe $800+ for the exam and glasses (progressives) that they would not cover for my visit. I am also angry with myself for not doing a routine check if they were still in my plan (I usually do this with all appointments), but isn't that just how it goes, the first time you don't check and it bites you in the butt! So now I'm expecting a bill for two exams and eyeglasses for approx $1600 because of no insurance. That price alone is outrageous and makes me wonder about the charges to the insurance!??? I know of no-one who has paid $800 for an exam or glasses, so I think the cost is a bit high. Just a regular no name pair of glasses. The fitter even used a coupon from the insurance company for $20.00 off the frame. I do realize I had the responsibility of checking if he was still in my plan, but I have been going there a while and was comfortable and foresaw no problem. Obviously, the staff was not aware he no longer was in my plan. And, then to have another member visit shortly after my appointment. I am hoping the office has some responsibility, too, especially since they were checking to see how much we owed, etc., or so I thought.? The vision insurance person I spoke with said I should talk to the Dr. and I plan to, just wanted to see if anyone out there had a similar problem and what they did to resolve it. I'm sure they will be as surprised as me when they get the notice saying the optometrist is no longer in my plan. UGHHH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin