Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 806,086 times

Advertisements

I was reading the news today and found this report about obesity and I see WV ranks #6, I reckon it's because of all that good food and mountain living in gods country. Because there ain't no fast food joints down in them holler's .

FOXNews.com - How Fat Is Your State? Breakdown of State Obesity Percentages - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

Last edited by x1x; 07-18-2008 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,382,676 times
Technically WV is 5th, if you notice they put Arkansas in 5th but the percentage is 28.7%, so WV is fatter at 29.5%.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
x1x x1x started this thread

227 posts, read 806,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Technically WV is 5th, if you notice they put Arkansas in 5th but the percentage is 28.7%, so WV is fatter at 29.5%.

Thanks for your observation, I just had taken a quick look and found it interesting that many blame this on fast food joints, and have made them use different oils to fry with and other foods have been restricted of using trans fats also, And my readings about trans fats it's a flavor enhancer and preservative, So if you reduce the flavor of food then do you believe it's possible that many eat more to satisfy their hunger? and I notice that the top areas are places that don't have fast food joints on every street corner...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 PM

19,826 posts, read 22,729,238 times
No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get us bumped up to that number 4 spot.

At least that's what my wife says

Old 07-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1x View Post
Thanks for your observation, I just had taken a quick look and found it interesting that many blame this on fast food joints, and have made them use different oils to fry with and other foods have been restricted of using trans fats also, And my readings about trans fats it's a flavor enhancer and preservative, So if you reduce the flavor of food then do you believe it's possible that many eat more to satisfy their hunger? and I notice that the top areas are places that don't have fast food joints on every street corner...
I think a lot has to do with being poor. People with limited income can't afford the fresh fruit and veggies, also they buy more processed food. If you look at the states above WV they are all generally poor states.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,076,245 times
It's part of the Southern culture. Most of the food is fattening, and exercise isn't really encouraged. Think about a typical "southern" breakfast: Eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits & gravy (or apple butter).

Bacon is fattening, eggs are fattening, and gravy is fattening. No vegetables in that breakfast right there, and that was traditional Sunday morning breakfast at my Dad's house.

Exercise and a healthy diet aren't encouraged in WV, at least not in the part where I'm from, and it's not uncommon to see people be extremely overweight, again, where I'm from.

If you go to the grocery store and look at what people are buying, it's things like chips and cookies and hamburger helper, and all these other processed foods. When you look back at history, the USA didn't have a bad obesity problem until after the advent of processed foods.

Fair observation or no?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
It's part of the Southern culture. Most of the food is fattening, and exercise isn't really encouraged. Think about a typical "southern" breakfast: Eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits & gravy (or apple butter).

Bacon is fattening, eggs are fattening, and gravy is fattening. No vegetables in that breakfast right there, and that was traditional Sunday morning breakfast at my Dad's house.

Exercise and a healthy diet aren't encouraged in WV, at least not in the part where I'm from, and it's not uncommon to see people be extremely overweight, again, where I'm from.

If you go to the grocery store and look at what people are buying, it's things like chips and cookies and hamburger helper, and all these other processed foods. When you look back at history, the USA didn't have a bad obesity problem until after the advent of processed foods.

Fair observation or no?
Now I'm hungry .

But your right, my parents were from Mannington and poor. When I was growing up we had fried potatoes and gravy with most meals. Everything was fried, my mom even took chopped steak and floured and fried it. Oh, and than she would through in stewed tomatoes (gross) but even that she threw in a lot of bread with them (like I said, gross).

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,337,621 times
I know a family here in wWV [several generation] That eat lots of fry foods fast foods junk foos candy bars sodas...they are [as the old timesr say] Bean poles...sigh

Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,380,863 times
Isn't there a state missing from that list? Have we kicked one out of the Union and I missed it on the news? Is it Florida missing? Oh well, they don't know how to vote anyhow.

Some of the rankings surprised me.
Also, wonder how they get those figures? I would assume that each of us is included in this study. What have I done that the govt would know how much I weigh - when weighed at the doc's office is it recorded somewhere?

Old 07-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Isn't there a state missing from that list? Have we kicked one out of the Union and I missed it on the news? Is it Florida missing? Oh well, they don't know how to vote anyhow.

Some of the rankings surprised me.
Also, wonder how they get those figures? I would assume that each of us is included in this study. What have I done that the govt would know how much I weigh - when weighed at the doc's office is it recorded somewhere?
Now you have me wondering. I just lost 20 pounds, should I call someone to let them know? Maybe, it will drop WV in the rank .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia