Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 05:04 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times

Advertisements

For those of the family are smart enough to know you can't afford the trip, see if they could facetime the ceremony so those who want to watch can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 05:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My friend for her second marriage decided she wants to get married on an island in Florida and expects all her family had friends to go. We can’t afford it this year. Plain tickets, hotel, wedding gift etc....her sister has 5 kids and they can’t afford to go either. My other friend did something similar for her 3rd wedding. I think it’s a bit selfish to expect family and friends to all be able to afford all this.
Wish her the best. Tell her you can’t make it. Yes I agree it’s idiotic to expect people to fly out for your wedding. If I flew out to some place it would be fir my vacation.

My wedding was $1800 bucks and had 15 people. That’s wedding and reception. Neither my wife or I wanted to spend a ton of money on the wedding. Christ we knew we loved each other neither needed a giant fancy wedding we bought a house with the money we would of spent. I can tell you that 25 years later we can have whatever wedding we want. Neither of us care to waste the money. We bought another house instead

Old 11-23-2018, 09:10 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

How is that judgmental?

My wife has a cousin who has been married three times. Her second was bigger than her first. And her third was a big deal, too. You know, after the first time, the glamor kind of wears off.
For YOU. The glamour wears off for YOU, not the couple.

Maybe your wife's cousin has poor judgement that makes you less enthusiastic.

But there are plenty of previously married couples who are clear-eyed and want to celebrate finding the right one.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
WOW there are some judgemental people around here!
Ditch the ”judgmental” ...society used to have morals and values.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:06 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If someone I care about invites me to a nice wedding, I will go and help them celebrate. If I can’t afford to travel for it, I will decline. If for some reason I didn’t approve of the marriage I would decline also, but I’d keep the reason to myself.

Just as an example, my friends niece got married and had a Wiccan wedding, whatever that is. I make no judgement on how anyone chooses to be spiritual, but if I had been invited I would not have been comfortable going.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
If someone wants a big wedding for their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, that's their business. I won't judge it. It's not something I would want for myself, I hated even my first wedding, too much stress for me. But whatever floats their boat.

We can't tell others how to spend their money.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:32 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Their wedding, so they can do whatever they want to do for their ceremony free from judgment of other people. And just as well, you have every right to politely decline and if you deem suitable, send a gift.

I keep trying to explain to my wife that we don't need to go to every single destination wedding we get invited to. We did 4 this summer.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Their wedding, so they can do whatever they want to do for their ceremony free from judgment of other people. And just as well, you have every right to politely decline and if you deem suitable, send a gift.

I keep trying to explain to my wife that we don't need to go to every single destination wedding we get invited to. We did 4 this summer.
Wow, I can't believe that anyone can even afford four destination weddings in one summer (and, have enough vacation time to attend all of them) !

Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
My wife wanted a "real" wedding for her second one because her first wedding was a quickie by a J.P. with only the two witnesses present.

We had it at my sister's farm in conjunction with her annual family get-together. She wore a wedding gown (check); her sister gave her away (check); her daughter was her bridesmaid (check); my son was the best man (check); we had a flower girl and ring bearer. One of my sister's daughters is a professional musician/singer and two others and a son-in-law are semi-professional singers, so we had lots of great (free) wedding music.

It was nice, held under a tree that was the only "original" thing left standing on the farm after a series of (six) tornados hit it the decade or two before. (No tornados in the 17 years since, so maybe we brought the farm good luck!)

Old 10-06-2019, 10:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Personally I think having a big thing for a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever wedding is a little tacky. Maybe if the first wedding was at a JOP I could understand it but these people that go crazy with subsequent weddings are delusional.
Why is it delusional for someone to have a big 2nd wedding? Why is it up to you to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings