Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Last time checked, about 2 years ago for a niece moving from Ca, there was surprisingly little difference between Bethesda and Rockville.
Yeah, you are probably right. I have to look more closely at that. It’s kind of surprising that the rents are similar even though Bethesda is closer to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 11:40 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oprime View Post
Clearly some of these metro haters have no other points of reference...lol. DC is a pretty transient city and is home to many from other parts of the country who've never seen an under ground train until they arrived here. I've certainly never heard anyone from NYC, Boston or Philly describe DC trains as dirty or crawling with bums. Folks are silly..lol.
I have other references. I have used various subway systems for many years. Hell, I took the subway to high school every day. When I worked shifts I took the subway home at midnight. I didnt even have a drivers license until I was in my 30s. If anything I know mass transit too damn well. 30 years of heavy use have made me a hater, not lack of reference.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Clearly some of these metro haters have no other points of reference...lol. DC is a pretty transient city and is home to many from other parts of the country who've never seen an under ground train until they arrived here. I've certainly never heard anyone from NYC, Boston or Philly describe DC trains as dirty or crawling with bums. Folks are silly..lol.
Metro is easily the cleanest of the US big 6 or 7 major subway systems. LA's system is pretty clean, but doesn't have the ambiance that DC Metro has.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:04 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Quote:
I love all the "cosmopolitan" posters in this thread that consider anyone that has anything negative to say about the DC Metro a dumb "American" or "silly". Your assumptions just thrill me since I've lived all over the world including three years in Europe and a year and a half in San Francisco where I was a heavy mass transit user in both locations.

Here is some picture proof of bad behavior I saw just this morning. I'll be happy to start taking more pics if it helps provide the OP with a clearer picture of the crap we have to endure as Metro riders. BTW, this is the third time I've seen someone smoking on the train in the last 3 or 4 months.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:01 AM

76 posts, read 102,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I have other references. I have used various subway systems for many years. Hell, I took the subway to high school every day. When I worked shifts I took the subway home at midnight. I didnt even have a drivers license until I was in my 30s. If anything I know mass transit too damn well. 30 years of heavy use have made me a hater, not lack of reference.
Awesome. Then just be straight up and say you dont care for public transport. If you were an honest broker, you would know (and would have shared with the OP) that while Metro aint perfect its one of the better systems in this country (all things considered).

Old 04-12-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I love all the "cosmopolitan" posters in this thread that consider anyone that has anything negative to say about the DC Metro a dumb "American" or "silly". Your assumptions just thrill me since I've lived all over the world including three years in Europe and a year and a half in San Francisco where I was a heavy mass transit user in both locations.

Here is some picture proof of bad behavior I saw just this morning. I'll be happy to start taking more pics if it helps provide the OP with a clearer picture of the crap we have to endure as Metro riders. BTW, this is the third time I've seen someone smoking on the train in the last 3 or 4 months.

Ohh the humanity! I went out of my way to exclude the rest of the world in my earlier comments, so you're referencing Europe is moot. Many countries far surpass our train systems. The OP is here and since we're offering opinions on Metro (good or bad), its helpful, in my mind, to include other systems as a point of reference. You've ridden in San Fran great. That ain't the East Coast. Somewhere in a shiny city , a bum is digging in a trash can and laying about where they shouldn't be, but I encourage you to take pics of every incident you come across.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Metro is easily the cleanest of the US big 6 or 7 major subway systems. LA's system is pretty clean, but doesn't have the ambiance that DC Metro has.
My thinking as well.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Ohh the humanity! I went out of my way to exclude the rest of the world in my earlier comments, so you're referencing Europe is moot. Many countries far surpass our train systems. The OP is here and since we're offering opinions on Metro (good or bad), its helpful, in my mind, to include other systems as a point of reference. You've ridden in San Fran great. That ain't the East Coast. Somewhere in a shiny city , a bum is digging in a trash can and laying about where they shouldn't be, but I encourage you to take pics of every incident you come across.
Challenge accepted. More pics coming.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
The worst part of the Metro is some of the people who take it. Typically, young punks sprawled out on a bench, which is just rude and disrespectful. Overall, public transit (usually buses) are for poor people. I’m generalizing as it’s a pain to drive in and out out of major cities but it’s the truth for the most part. You see all kinds of walks of life on the Metro, but the vast majority aren’t ballers, or even making a decent wage. Granted, taking the Metro beats the hell out of driving in and out of the city, but I would say at least 80% of the people on the DC Metro aren’t even making 50k a year.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:19 AM

When you need a nap more than you're worried about COVID.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC