Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:26 PM

662 posts, read 783,043 times

Advertisements

A new College Park neighborhood looks to attract University of Maryland faculty and staff

Formerly Randolph Macon Avenue, Howard Lane is currently under construction for a new housing development in Old Town. (Ryan Eskalis/For the Diamondback). By Carly Kempler
Published 2:17 AM
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via Email
Share on Tumblr
Share on LinkedIn
Share on Google Plus
Share on Pinterest
Print article
This isn't just another development story, College Park resident Bob Kidwell said. That's not the point.

Kidwell and his family have a long history with the city, and now they've sold the remainder of their "family garden" — a plot of land from their family's estate — to create a "pocket neighborhood" in Old Town College Park.

The neighborhood will consist of seven homes, situated off of Rhode Island Avenue on Howard Lane, and each unit will be custom-built, said David Kacar, the project's architect and the co-owner of Classic Design and Buildcheck, the company designing and building the homes.

"A lot of people are looking for homes in the area, but they need a lot of work," Kacar said. "Most homes need a lot of work and upgrades, but to be able to do exactly what you want for it to meet your needs is very unique."

Growing up on Knox Road, Kidwell — a 1969 graduate of the University of Maryland — was surrounded by classmates whose parents worked at the university and lived in the surrounding area, which inspired him to help his community and leave his legacy on the city, he said.

"We really want make this attractive to faculty and staff," Kidwell said. "We're trying to accomplish the goal of not only having owners living in College Park, but increasing the number of faculty and staff in the city."

Kidwell said he hopes the home's location, customization and efficiency will be enough to sway faculty and staff members of this university to move in.

Walkability, along with faculty and staff moving into the neighborhoods of College Park, are two strategies within the Greater College Park initiative, said Ken Ulman, chief strategy officer for economic development for the university's College Park Foundation.

As faculty and staff blend with other residents within College Park neighborhoods, it creates a "true living-learning community," said Eric Olson, executive director of the College Park City-University Partnership. Olson has been discussing this project with Kidwell for about three years, he added.

"When you have people who work and live in the community, they're walking to work, you see people often going to and from work — more social interactions, those create innovation dynamic," Olson said.

These homes are also eligible for the partnership's Homeownership Program, which provides $15,000 in "forgivable loans" to a "full-time, benefits-eligible University of Maryland employee" or a "full-time employee of the city of College Park" who is looking to buy a home in the city, according to the partnership's website. This city is also providing $5,000 in grants for purchasers of new single-family homes in the city, said Patrick Wojahn, the city's mayor.

This project will also support local businesses, as more residents will be in the area over the summer, which is something the city is encouraging, Wojahn said.

"There's several benefits from them living in College Park," he said. "It means they have to travel less to work, and that's less of a burden on our transportation infrastructure … and I think another one that it helps create more stability for College Park businesses that faculty and staff will support more of the higher end restaurants."

Community members may ask questions about the project at City Hall on Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m., Kidwell said. He encouraged any faculty or staff who are interested in learning more to attend the meeting.

"With [university President Wallace] Loh's goal of more faculty and staff living in College Park, the complaints having always been they're small and need a lot of maintenance … my goal is that these houses will help deal with these issues," Kidwell said. "And as the neighborhood improves, maybe the older houses will be improved."

A new College Park neighborhood looks to attract University of Maryland faculty and staff - The Diamondback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:29 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,566,864 times
Whoo hooo!!

Quote:
"Calling all barbeque lovers: Fat Pete’s opens in College Park this weekend"
Calling all barbeque lovers: Fat Pete’s opens in College Park this weekend - The Diamondback

Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 PM

206 posts, read 210,004 times
The College Park Planning Department has issued a new development update. Please see: http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/Plannin...Dev_Update.pdf

Old 10-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
The College Park Planning Department has issued a new development update. Please see: http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/Plannin...Dev_Update.pdf
Thanks for the update!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 AM

Retail for Terrapin Row coming in the Spring of 2017. Students aren't happy about it. They thought the retail would be available when they moved in. While I understand the students, I also understand the retail side. The retail brokers are being very selective which may be causing the delay.

This reminds me of what is going on at the Riverdale Park Station development. Sure, they can sign just anyone, but they may be taking time to get the best freshest retail mix possible.

The developers said that for Terrapin Row, the retail will be recognizable brands. Personally I'm hoping that it is not Starbucks, but Panera Bread. For some reason, the entire RT. 1 corridor south of Beltsville is missing a Panera Bread. But there is one across the street from a warehouse district in Beltsville. Sure.

A First Watch would be nice too now that Plato's is gone.

Quote:
Real estate developer Toll Brothers, which owns Terrapin Row, expects retail spaces to open in spring 2017, wrote John Piedrahita, the company's marketing director, in an email. Specific retailers cannot be named because of confidentiality requirements, but Piedrahita noted that students can expect recognizable brands to inhabit the retail spaces, which will be a mix of restaurants and services.

"We are being very selective in the retailers joining Terrapin Row," Piedrahita wrote.
Terrapin Row retail is expected in the spring, but some are disappointed with the wait - The Diamondback

PS. NO MORE SUBWAYS PLEASE!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:38 AM

Milkboy to "cater to adults". I have no problem with that. Being an adult, there aren't really any off-campus venues for us to go to. I think working adults need somewhere to go for nice entertainment without having to endure beer pong, trivia, and other activities that occur downtown. It would be nice to have a glass of wine while watching a Cellist or a nice jazz quartet.

Quote:
The space intends to cater to an "adult" audience, as opposed to students at this university, Carter said.
MilkBoy representatives say College Park’s art house will cater to “adult” audience - The Diamondback

Old 10-06-2016, 02:33 PM

662 posts, read 783,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Retail for Terrapin Row coming in the Spring of 2017. Students aren't happy about it. They thought the retail would be available when they moved in. While I understand the students, I also understand the retail side. The retail brokers are being very selective which may be causing the delay.

This reminds me of what is going on at the Riverdale Park Station development. Sure, they can sign just anyone, but they may be taking time to get the best freshest retail mix possible.

The developers said that for Terrapin Row, the retail will be recognizable brands. Personally I'm hoping that it is not Starbucks, but Panera Bread. For some reason, the entire RT. 1 corridor south of Beltsville is missing a Panera Bread. But there is one across the street from a warehouse district in Beltsville. Sure.

Terrapin Row retail is expected in the spring, but some are disappointed with the wait - The Diamondback

Well there isn't a starbucks either

Old 10-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Well there isn't a starbucks either
There's a Starbucks at the Cherry Hill Shopping Center just off Rt. 1. in College Park. It has a drive-thru.

https://www.starbucks.com/store-loca...d-207401330-us

There is also a huge one at the College Park Shopping Center on the edge of campus on RT. 1. One of the largest Starbuck's I've seen.

https://www.starbucks.com/store-loca...hopping-center

Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM

340 posts, read 376,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

They should be selective, but I can't imagine it's a high demand location either. I'm not a Terp but it seems like it's a rather out of the way location...at least until the Southern Gateway project delivers.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
They should be selective, but I can't imagine it's a high demand location either. I'm not a Terp but it seems like it's a rather out of the way location...at least until the Southern Gateway project delivers.
I agree. The location is not ideal for a high-traffic retailer. I just hope that when they say "recognizable", we're not talking about a convenience store or another Subway. I'm pretty sure it's not ideal for a Panera Bread. Not sure what would locate there though that is familiar.

MSC is their broker. Of, the retailers they represent on their website, I saw the following has the best fit:

Firehouse Subs
Federal Doughnuts
Joe
Little Pete
Honeygrow
Moe's Southwest Grill
Rosa's Fresh Pizza
Shredwhich
Smoke's Poutinerie (was looking at a College Park location. Could this be where they meant?)
Quote:
Franchisee and Imperial Restaurant Group executive Raj Rana says his team is initially honing in on locations around college campuses, including University of Maryland in College Park
https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/0...n-dc-maryland/
South Street Philly Bagels

http://www.mscretail.com/tenants/#photo-grid

It will suck that they won't open til spring. Terrapin Row isn't exactly a year-round residence. So, whoever lands there needs to be able to handle the summer off-season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland