Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 01:49 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

tired of NE winters in Pennsylvania.....know nothing about VA so please share your knowledge....greatly appreciated.....

When are you moving? - Not sure yet
Where are you coming from? - Pennsylvania
Why are you moving? - Widowed since 2020, tired of NE winters
Where will you be working? - nowhere full-time, retired so maybe a part-time somewhere; currently work winters for PennDOT, free in summers
Have you been here yet? - Once....Norfolk Naval Base for 1 week in '82 on my way home after my 4 years were up in the US Navy.....

Will you buy or rent? - Preferrably rent....don't want the hassle of homeownership in my 60's....
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? - Apartment or Studio....around the $600 - $900 range if possible.....
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - Walk-up but willing to take 2nd floor

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - Widowed, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A
Do you have pets? - at the moment 3 Chihuahua's
Do you want or need a yard? - Would be nice
Are you keeping a car? - Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm & quiet, away but close to necessities....

What do you want to be closest to? Shopping & Medical
Work - if I find something good, if not oh well....
Shopping - Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes
Nightlife - My disco days are over.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 01:54 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
LOL I hear ya about those NE PA winters!

I lived in VA for twenty plus years, but have been gone quite a few. I'm not sure about rental costs but as for the weather and the calm/quiet, I would consider the south eastern (Tidewater) area. They do get some nasty weather in the winter, but nothing compared to what you are used to. The summers are usually hot and humid, but not as bad as Florida.

Being a bit partial, I would see what you can find in the Williamsburg area. You may be able to find something affordable, but again, I haven't been there in awhile. But near the Historic Area is relatively calm, quiet, and very pet friendly. Lots of necessities. The tourists can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I've seen worse.

Additionally, if you felt the urge, you might be able to find interesting work at Colonial Williamsburg.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:37 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
In the western part of the state consider Roanoke and the college town of Charlottesville. Mild winters, near plenty of outdoor activities, and decent urban amenities too.

UVA has its medical school and there are smaller hospitals in Roanoke. The two cities are about 2 hrs apart on the Interstates and there’s also train service between them IIRC. Both cities have regional airports that connect with major hubs.

My guess is that Charlottesville would be slightly more expensive because it is a college town, but a quick looksee online shows lots of places at 900 or less, some in garden apartments, others in converted large homes. (I’ve been to both cities, but not enough to make neighborhood recommendations. Maybe another C-D poster in the Virginia threads can).

And both small cities (Roanoke is the larger of the two) are near to the Blue Ridge Mountains and located in gorgeous natural settings.

Last edited by citylove101; 02-22-2024 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2024, 08:18 AM

@lunetunelover @citylove101 - thank you for your insights into Virginia living....hope to read more input from others soon....

Old 02-23-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
LOL I hear ya about those NE PA winters!

I lived in VA for twenty plus years, but have been gone quite a few.
Guess you meant PA not VA....

Old 02-23-2024, 08:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Guess you meant PA not VA....
No, I meant both! LOL

I lived in the Tidewater area of VA for more than twenty years and moved to PA (albeit Harrisburg area) for about 3 years. The winters killed us up in PA and Harrisburg isn't even as bad as NE PA.

I also lived in the western part of VA during college and those mountain areas can get "iffy".

When I lived in the Tidewater area, I can only remember measurable snow maybe three times over that 20+ years. We might have gotten a couple of ice storms in there as well, but overall not bad for 20+ years.

You do have to be aware of hurricanes though they are usually not too bad. Only two or three caused any real issues.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:46 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
tired of NE winters in Pennsylvania.....know nothing about VA so please share your knowledge....greatly appreciated.....

When are you moving? - Not sure yet
Where are you coming from? - Pennsylvania
Why are you moving? - Widowed since 2020, tired of NE winters
Where will you be working? - nowhere full-time, retired so maybe a part-time somewhere; currently work winters for PennDOT, free in summers
Have you been here yet? - Once....Norfolk Naval Base for 1 week in '82 on my way home after my 4 years were up in the US Navy.....

Will you buy or rent? - Preferrably rent....don't want the hassle of homeownership in my 60's....
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? - Apartment or Studio....around the $600 - $900 range if possible.....
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - Walk-up but willing to take 2nd floor

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - Widowed, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A
Do you have pets? - at the moment 3 Chihuahua's
Do you want or need a yard? - Would be nice
Are you keeping a car? - Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm & quiet, away but close to necessities....

What do you want to be closest to? Shopping & Medical
Work - if I find something good, if not oh well....
Shopping - Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes
Nightlife - My disco days are over.....
In that price range, and with pets, you're going to need to be in Southern or Southwestern VA, and preferably with a private landlord. A smaller town would be your most likely location, but be sure to check out crime statistics, because a number of small towns in more rural areas have a big meth and oxy trade.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:41 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Charlottesville is pricey...take a look at Harrisonburg. How about Morgantown,WV?

Old 02-23-2024, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Charlottesville is pricey...take a look at Harrisonburg. How about Morgantown,WV?
Thought about Morgantown since there is a former crewmember from my Navy days living there....works on the school buses if I remember correctly....unless he's retired already....Thanks for the suggestions....

Old 02-23-2024, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I lived in the Tidewater area of VA for more than twenty years....
How is the neighborhood?? Good for retirees?? Thanks again for your input. Grealy appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia