Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 02:24 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
In that price range, and with pets, you're going to need to be in Southern or Southwestern VA, and preferably with a private landlord. A smaller town would be your most likely location, but be sure to check out crime statistics, because a number of small towns in more rural areas have a big meth and oxy trade.
Thanks for your input....greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 10:02 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
No, I meant both! LOL

I lived in the Tidewater area of VA for more than twenty years and moved to PA (albeit Harrisburg area) for about 3 years. The winters killed us up in PA and Harrisburg isn't even as bad as NE PA.

I also lived in the western part of VA during college and those mountain areas can get "iffy".

When I lived in the Tidewater area, I can only remember measurable snow maybe three times over that 20+ years. We might have gotten a couple of ice storms in there as well, but overall not bad for 20+ years.

You do have to be aware of hurricanes though they are usually not too bad. Only two or three caused any real issues.
Tidewater (called Hampton Roads for many years now) doesn't even GET a winter anymore. I hate it. Summers here start in April and go until October. Miserable heat and humidity. Not even one single snowflake this year. We used to get snow every year, many years 5 or 6 inches. But no more. I would love to live somewhere that actually gets a winter but I love my home and really don't want to move out of it.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would love to live somewhere that actually gets a winter but I love my home and really don't want to move out of it.
Come to Northeast PA!! But I understand not wanting to leave where you are....I'd hate to leave my home of almost 17 years even though it is falling apart....so convenient and just what I hoped for when house hunting....in the woods away from town madness yet close to all major shopping & conveniences when needed....people can't believe how nice & quiet it is where I am yet less than 5 minutes from everything....

Old 02-24-2024, 08:32 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
tired of NE winters in Pennsylvania.....know nothing about VA so please share your knowledge....greatly appreciated.....

When are you moving? - Not sure yet
Where are you coming from? - Pennsylvania
Why are you moving? - Widowed since 2020, tired of NE winters
Where will you be working? - nowhere full-time, retired so maybe a part-time somewhere; currently work winters for PennDOT, free in summers
Have you been here yet? - Once....Norfolk Naval Base for 1 week in '82 on my way home after my 4 years were up in the US Navy.....

Will you buy or rent? - Preferrably rent....don't want the hassle of homeownership in my 60's....
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? - N/A
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? - Apartment or Studio....around the $600 - $900 range if possible.....
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? - Walk-up but willing to take 2nd floor

Are you married or single? Do you have children? - Widowed, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? - N/A
Do you have pets? - at the moment 3 Chihuahua's
Do you want or need a yard? - Would be nice
Are you keeping a car? - Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm & quiet, away but close to necessities....

What do you want to be closest to? Shopping & Medical
Work - if I find something good, if not oh well....
Shopping - Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Yes
Nightlife - My disco days are over.....
Hi OP....I'm also 64 and did a recent relocation out of FL for varying reasons (mostly economic) and did pretty much a nationwide search for affordable rental housing with easy access to better than average medical care.

Given you want out of the long winters it does limit options, but they do exist. There isn't much to recommend in your budget in VA unfortunately and would suggest looking a bit further south in the Triad region of north central NC.

Winston Salem, Greensboro and High Point are the primary cities along with smaller options like Thomasville, Archdale and Kernersville. All the cities mentioned have rentals well within budget in decent to nicer neighborhoods, and good healthcare options at Wake Forest University Medical Center or Forsyth Medical Center in Winston Salem, High Point Medical Center (High Point) and Moses Cone Medical Center in Greensboro.

Old 02-24-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Winston Salem, Greensboro and High Point are the primary cities along with smaller options like Thomasville, Archdale and Kernersville. All the cities mentioned have rentals well within budget in decent to nicer neighborhoods, and good healthcare options at Wake Forest University Medical Center or Forsyth Medical Center in Winston Salem, High Point Medical Center (High Point) and Moses Cone Medical Center in Greensboro.
Thanks....greatly appreciated!

Old 02-24-2024, 09:49 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Come to Northeast PA!! But I understand not wanting to leave where you are....I'd hate to leave my home of almost 17 years even though it is falling apart....so convenient and just what I hoped for when house hunting....in the woods away from town madness yet close to all major shopping & conveniences when needed....people can't believe how nice & quiet it is where I am yet less than 5 minutes from everything....
I am in PA at least once a year - I love it there.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I am in PA at least once a year - I love it there.
Cool

Last edited by DavidWebb; 02-24-2024 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: hit ENTER by accident

Old 02-26-2024, 06:31 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
How is the neighborhood?? Good for retirees?? Thanks again for your input. Grealy appreciated!
Tidewater comprises a whole group of cities in the southeastern Virginia area - Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake, Yorktown, Williamsburg and a couple of counties too.

I lived in Hampton mostly. But I spent a lot of time in several areas for work.

Each has its good and bad, I guess. There is a lot to offer. With Norfolk Naval Base as well as at least one "base" for each branch of the military, it is definitely a veteran friendly area and yes, there are retirees, especially in the Williamsburg area.

Old 02-26-2024, 06:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
Quote:
Tidewater (called Hampton Roads for many years now) doesn't even GET a winter anymore. I hate it. Summers here start in April and go until October. Miserable heat and humidity. Not even one single snowflake this year. We used to get snow every year, many years 5 or 6 inches. But no more. I would love to live somewhere that actually gets a winter but I love my home and really don't want to move out of it.
How long where you in the area? Just wondering. Everyone seems to have different experiences. My uncle grew up there and back in the 70's he had never seen snow. While I lived there starting in the early 80's we would get at least one winter storm a year that was usually more ice than snow. I have photos of one big snowfall from the late 2000's where we got about 8 inches.

Yeah, summers are hot and humid. But in many cases it's better than some inland areas. There are some benefits to being close to the ocean. It can keep things a bit warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Plus it smells good!

Old 02-26-2024, 03:59 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Tidewater comprises a whole group of cities in the southeastern Virginia area - Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, Hampton, Chesapeake, Yorktown, Williamsburg and a couple of counties too.

I lived in Hampton mostly. But I spent a lot of time in several areas for work.

Each has its good and bad, I guess. There is a lot to offer. With Norfolk Naval Base as well as at least one "base" for each branch of the military, it is definitely a veteran friendly area and yes, there are retirees, especially in the Williamsburg area.
Williamsburg makes me laugh. When I walk into Trader Joe's, everyone has grey hair!

It's a great location for retirees, especially for military retirees. It's just so expensive now. Williamsburg rents and housing prices have gone up significantly in last five years. It's rental market completes with Williams and Mary students - particularly graduate and law school students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia