Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2024, 02:22 PM

4 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

Improvements needed, on November 14th of 2023 my wife lost her life due to the poor cell service in Grundy. She needed medical help and i was not able to get help for her soon enough because the cell service in this town is so poor. Right now i have to use wifi to make a call and on that day i tried calling 911 4 different times and i kept losing the call due to the cell service. The small area i live in i think is a dead zone and i understand that 911 and not being to get them on the phone is not supposed to happen and my understanding is it is supposed to be illegal. More than once i have had to call emergency service for her and never had that problem so for the most part i know how this is supposed to work unless there is a law i dont know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
The statute seems to require 911, but not by cell. Where I live, cell service cannot always make 911 and hence a landline is the only reliable way; the cell is the backup if the landline goes down. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...,9%2D1%2D1.%22

Even in metro areas and with reliable cell service, unlike a landline, the cell can't distinguish between apartments.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:58 AM

i have been using cell service for 911 for yrs and have never had a problem so why is it that a landline is a have to thing, cell service in most if not all cities is just as reliable, i dont want to take you wrong but its the way i feel, cell service should not make a difference.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:26 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Henrico county and Williamburg/James City County are populous areas with "dead zones." Google lack of cellphone 911 and there are numerous articles nationwide. Triangulation to pinpoint a location of someone in distress using a cell phone is not perfect and is not universally used. A landline isn't perfect either, loose electricity and most folks loose the landline and then the cellphone is the lifeline.

Last edited by webster; 01-31-2024 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 06:47 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Henrico county and Williamburg/James City County are populous areas with "dead zones." Google lack of cellphone 911 and there are numerous articles nationwide. Triangulation to pinpoint a location of someone in distress using a cell phone is not perfect and is not universally used. A landline isn't perfect either, loose electricity and most folks loose the landline and then the cellphone is the lifeline.
I remember those "good old days" when the clunky big landline telephone worked even when the power was out.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:32 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Buchanan County is extremely mountainous, poor, and lightly populated. I highly doubt infrastructure will ever expand there.

Old 02-02-2024, 03:20 PM

Yes it is but there is a cell signal in every area except where i live, i lived at appilachian for a while and i was able to make calls from there even 911 and believe me i did test it, just about every where in that section of grundy i tested the cell signal out just in case i needed to get help for my wife.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:13 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamitbigg View Post
Improvements needed, on November 14th of 2023 my wife lost her life due to the poor cell service in Grundy.
I'm so sorry to hear! It must be heartbreaking for you!

Old 02-05-2024, 07:14 AM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamitbigg View Post
Yes it is but there is a cell signal in every area except where i live, i lived at appilachian for a while and i was able to make calls from there even 911 and believe me i did test it, just about every where in that section of grundy i tested the cell signal out just in case i needed to get help for my wife.
I used to work for the regional hospital system around here, so I'm pretty familiar with how this works.

Buchanan County Hospital is the closest hospital to you - anything semi-serious is going to be sent to Pikeville, KY. We always issued pagers to our doctors in Dickinson, Wise, and other rural counties specifically because of the lack of cell coverage.

With that said, if you're in a house with WiFi and the cell phone supports WiFi calling, a lack of cell service wouldn't be an issue. 911 calls should be allowed.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:54 PM

Well i have spectrum and i usually get really good service except that day, i dont remember if i said this or not but i attempted to call them 4 different times to get help for her and the call just kept dropping, i attempted to help my wife and was not able to because of struggling with trying to get help and help her out and by the time help got here it was too late, any other time i would not complain about cell service but on that day yes it is a major issue. There is no way to know if it would have helped or not since she is not here with me any more and im sure im not the only one who has this problem and if improvements are made then more lives can be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia